What's new

Big Dumb Loads

It’s only unsafe if you didn’t pay their piracy, that load was just as heavy if not heavier when the wrecker towed it away on the same roads.
and on a stupid goofy extendo-hitch fifth wheel plate fuckshow, no doubt
because if they use that wrecker they can charge more, and the cops will kill the guy if he doesn't pay up

I know the one you’re talking about I think and I believe he was 160k on 5 axles. The one where they only caught him bc his tires blew and the service call took too long? I remember this because I had just hauled a similar load without issue. 160k gross of cast scrap to a wood stove place in a tub trailer. I won’t name places but was in first gear up a major highway on a mountain pass in first gear doing single digit mph lol. I hate those tub trailers. Anything over 130k sucks because they are so high COG and shit like bailed tin and crushed cars love to stick in the nose while dumping.

With that excavator being lower COG and the 7 axles we see in the picture I wouldn’t think twice. 7 axles we can see so 25000ish per axle not really over too much on a 23k axle. Front I’ll assume is a 20k. He may even be 8 axles if there’s a drop axle so 22500. It’s only unsafe if you didn’t pay their piracy, that load was just as heavy if not heavier when the wrecker towed it away on the same roads.
idk shit, but in the article this is what they listed about the axles. looks like it was an 8 axle rig, but only rated at 18K per.

"In addition, six out of the eight axles were not in compliance with the maximum allowed statute weight of 18,000 pounds per axle.

I'm guessing he was on a 9 ton (per axle) road. So he would've likely been ticketed even with permits. Although he wouldn't have taken the scenic trip on that secondary road if he had permits.

Old job had a driver get nailed on the half mile of 6 ton road between a parallel county highway and interstate. 10% over winter permit isn't valid on interstate, hence why at 87k he swung off the stretch of interstate with the open scale. Would've been legal if he kept driving on the county highway instead of going back to the interstate, especially via a 6 ton road.

I'm guessing he was on a 9 ton (per axle) road. So he would've likely been ticketed even with permits. Although he wouldn't have taken the scenic trip on that secondary road if he had permits.

Old job had a driver get nailed on the half mile of 6 ton road between a parallel county highway and interstate. 10% over winter permit isn't valid on interstate, hence why at 87k he swung off the stretch of interstate with the open scale. Would've been legal if he kept driving on the county highway instead of going back to the interstate, especially via a 6 ton road.

The endless rules in the trucking industry is approaching tax code levels. Overly complex just to trip up drivers and extract fines.

Looks like this could be contender for the cop hating thread.
We have a local testing station on I-84 (NY), the truckers who drive pass it & the purple ties go after it... the move over law to one lane traffic slowdown plus the whatever flavor roadwork that day- :shaking:

We have a local testing station on I-84 (NY), the truckers who drive pass it & the purple ties go after it... the move over law to one lane traffic slowdown plus the whatever flavor roadwork that day- :shaking:

:emb:
IMG_8504.jpeg

This truck can't catch a break. Good thing I ponied up the extra $10 for some fancy engineered foam involute bump stops. :laughing:

attachment(358).jpg

Also in case anyone is wondering 7k seems to be about the max you can put on the actual trailer itself. This is 7.5k with a few hundo of tongue weight and I had to use a stupid drop hitch to get the spring for the tongue low enough to get the ramp spring mechanism to not drag on every bump and the trailer itself performed about the same as when I stuck a 9k forklift in it with the counterweight right at the front. In both cases the trailer isn't on the bumps but so close to them it clatters with more than the most mild bump. Obviously the tires got warm and speeds were kept low in both cases. The time I did ~7k of pavers in the non-ramp version of this trailer behind the Subaru was way nicer.

Edit: I realize that the context may be lost on some of you. This was what I did Thursday:

attachment(359).jpg
attachment(360).jpg

Is that mile 99?

Fuck that area over by the prison off 84 too lol

Here's the last 2yr

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 10.58.34 AM.png

I greatly look forward to all the yokels with rotted out car haulers that a machinery skate would punch right through and all the safety vest people who replace tires every 4yr telling me I'm doing it wrong. :flipoff2:

You do you.

I bought a friends Cronkite 7k 20 ft car hauler in 2009 and put new deck and self adjusting Brakes on it. It has brakes on both axles and has been great. I would not hesitate to put any load you have hauled on it. I moved my shop with it.

My shop is on a quarter mile section of road that is not Class A. The trucking companies that haul salt to me will not run a full load when weight restrictions are in place.

But we may or may not run full loads of salt out of our shop when those restrictions are in place.

I even offered to pay their fine if they get caught, despite no signs in place stating it is weight/speed restricted.

My shop is on a quarter mile section of road that is not Class A. The trucking companies that haul salt to me will not run a full load when weight restrictions are in place.

But we may or may not run full loads of salt out of our shop when those restrictions are in place.

I even offered to pay their fine if they get caught, despite no signs in place stating it is weight/speed restricted.

Vt has mud season weight restrictions on the secondary roads, but nobody bothers the Sap haulers.

Vt has mud season weight restrictions on the secondary roads, but nobody bothers the Sap haulers.
Ya, we destroy a 100 yard piece of dirt road that usually gets closed to thru traffic. Town finally learned that grading mud isn’t productive

ThePanzerFuhrer how much does your excavator loads weigh when you have to move them from pit to pit? i seem to remember you hire that out so you don't have to deal with the permits and upkeep on the truck/trailer.

ThePanzerFuhrer how much does your excavator loads weigh when you have to move them from pit to pit? i seem to remember you hire that out so you don't have to deal with the permits and upkeep on the truck/trailer.
About 110,000 for the machine itself. The trailer is like 45,000 by itself and the truck is another 25,000. So about 180,000 all said and done going down the road.

Here's the last 2yr

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 10.58.34 AM.png

I greatly look forward to all the yokels with rotted out car haulers that a machinery skate would punch right through and all the safety vest people who replace tires every 4yr telling me I'm doing it wrong. :flipoff2:
No, if it works, it works.

My rotted out trailer costs less per year.

Might take another decade to balance out if I unrot it though :laughing:

I think I’d do something different.

Got bored after some interstate traffic decided to go 5 mph for 15 minutes. Not sure I communicated that I was causing the uppy downy effect. Rides ok for what it is.

It’s fine

I wheelied it once a year ago not on a public road after careful load positioning.

It’s fine. until it’s not.

Top Back Refresh