What's new

Big Dumb Loads

i cant say that the 3v 5.4 owes me anything. i picked the truck up w/ 200k on it, its now just shy of 260k. and about 80% of the miles are put on it as pictured, 76 nights in camper the last 12months, overloaded and peddle to the floored.

have only changed the oil, i do need to replace the maniflold, they have a crack that makes a little noise on start up. i've read only enough about cam phasers to know i'm not going to worry about it. if/ when the motor goes i'll buy a new/ reman and drop it and keep going.

only kinda a bdl. right at 22k. there is another sxs in the trailers and all the crap for for a family of four, kids 2 and 3 years old.

when leaving for a trip the final step is to scoot the seat a little forward. makes holding the peddle to the floor easier. trips we take the drive time is between 3 and 30hrs each way. hoping to get 4.56 gears in it before the next big trip.

7Md43FtZgYG2aZOEFxIZDgPoaI=w926-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg
Damn. I bet the motor was replaced shortly before you bought it, though.

If the vehicle didn't match what arrived at the lot, we wouldn't hook it up.

Will NEVER use U-Haul again after the idiot (or the computer system) said my 01 Ram CTD 3500 dually was not rated to tow an S10 Blazer on it. Both me and the guy in line behind me ridiculed the counter guy then we both left and I cleared the junk off of my car hauler and used that. I figured that's the cost of trying to be lazy :laughing:

Reactions: DMG
Will NEVER use U-Haul again after the idiot (or the computer system) said my 01 Ram CTD 3500 dually was not rated to tow an S10 Blazer on it. Both me and the guy in line behind me ridiculed the counter guy then we both left and I cleared the junk off of my car hauler and used that. I figured that's the cost of trying to be lazy :laughing:
Yep, it comes up on screen with the boxes blanked out. You can't even punch in the info. Its all greyed out. That was way out of our control.

Damn. I bet the motor was replaced shortly before you bought it, though.
i cant be sure, but the guy i got it from is a neighbor i trust. i believe the engine and tranny are original. he gave me paperwork starting at 155k, when he bought the truck at auction, and its only fluids and stupid stuff like headlights. it had a service body on it until i bought it and put the flat bed on. i dont think it was babied, but it seems to have been maintained.

i got it knowing it was underpowered but i dont really care (better on the toyhauler and everything being forced to drive reasonably) and also knowing it would probably need a new motor and trans, no real reasson other than knowing its got a allot of miles on it. but that truck does what i need it too, and purchase price +new motor + new trans..... would still be cheaper than buying a diesel thats 'right for the job'

i cant be sure, but the guy i got it from is a neighbor i trust. i believe the engine and tranny are original. he gave me paperwork starting at 155k, when he bought the truck at auction, and its only fluids and stupid stuff like headlights. it had a service body on it until i bought it and put the flat bed on. i dont think it was babied, but it seems to have been maintained.

i got it knowing it was underpowered but i dont really care (better on the toyhauler and everything being forced to drive reasonably) and also knowing it would probably need a new motor and trans, no real reasson other than knowing its got a allot of miles on it. but that truck does what i need it too, and purchase price +new motor + new trans..... would still be cheaper than buying a diesel thats 'right for the job'
That is the highest mileage (by far) I have seen on a 3V. I am amazed that the chains and tensioners have survived.

I have towed with them and they are ok, just need to rev a lot. They get the same mpg as a V10 though.

That is the highest mileage (by far) I have seen on a 3V. I am amazed that the chains and tensioners have survived.

I have towed with them and they are ok, just need to rev a lot. They get the same mpg as a V10 though.

My old work truck was a 2009 f150 4x4 5.4.....I had it from. 10k miles till 140k miles.. and it was driven hard occasionally..Had quite a few idle hours on it also..only oil changes and plugs at 100k....our fleet manager kept it as a spare for another 2yrs...

for ref ..my 2017 ram has 53k miles with 400 idle hrs and 900 engine hours

Reactions: DMG
Will NEVER use U-Haul again after the idiot (or the computer system) said my 01 Ram CTD 3500 dually was not rated to tow an S10 Blazer on it.

ROFLcopter

I returned one with my Mk4 Jetta TDI. The lot attendant was a deaf kid, I've never been yelled at by a deaf guy before and I'll probably never forget it.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people have money poured into their toys/tow rigs and either don't have a proper trailer or their trailer is about to fail from lack of maintenance/being underrated.

Mud boggers take the cake. "I got a 5th wheel from a camper, she's heavy duty" as the tongue flexes toward the ground without the body's structure. Yeah that's no different than attempting to take a semi trailer van and making a flatbed but sure. :homer:

Or the guys that take an angle-iron landscape trailer, cut the side rails off, and proceed to bend the ever living fuck out the rest of it.

Tried to let the guy know the door was swinging in the wind but I got the finger
6E3813CD-6AC5-4C78-9F9C-7D677352D410.jpeg

i cant say that the 3v 5.4 owes me anything. i picked the truck up w/ 200k on it, its now just shy of 260k. and about 80% of the miles are put on it as pictured, 76 nights in camper the last 12months, overloaded and peddle to the floored.

have only changed the oil, i do need to replace the maniflold, they have a crack that makes a little noise on start up. i've read only enough about cam phasers to know i'm not going to worry about it. if/ when the motor goes i'll buy a new/ reman and drop it and keep going.

only kinda a bdl. right at 22k. there is another sxs in the trailers and all the crap for for a family of four, kids 2 and 3 years old.

when leaving for a trip the final step is to scoot the seat a little forward. makes holding the peddle to the floor easier. trips we take the drive time is between 3 and 30hrs each way. hoping to get 4.56 gears in it before the next big trip.

I had one that I would gross out at 25800 with a mini-ex behind it. I went through manifolds every 25k or less. They'd crack at the back and that would spread until chunks blew out.

4 low for the hills. Could do 55 in 5th and low. :lmao:

That truck lived above 4k rpm. Got 10mpg on a great day empty, 5-6mpg was normal towing.

It was doing the random death rattle off and on and needed another manifold job when they sold it at 180k miles. It would only do the death rattle during certain drive cycles and bear the end of the oil change. Fresh Mobil 1 and it would go away, for 3-4k miles.

What do you want to bet that uhaul is looking for that trailer?
I bet not. The unit number is clearly visible in several photographs floating around the internet, to include in groups frequented by U-Haul employees and area managers. They know where it is, they just haven't done anything about it yet.

I bet not. The unit number is clearly visible in several photographs floating around the internet, to include in groups frequented by U-Haul employees and area managers. They know where it is, they just haven't done anything about it yet.
Can't blame them, does that look like a mess that you want to get yourself in the middle of?

Top Back Refresh