What's new

Big Dumb Loads

Super-sack in the back of an avalanche. No idea what was in it, but it was full. Hard on the bump stops. It didn’t even bounce the tiniest bit when it hit bumps.

had my EXT squatting similar a couple times with loads of stone/wood. Wasn't locked on the bumps, but hit them hard any dip in the road. The load leveling couldn't compensate.

thankfully my trips were only 10 miles or so. It ain't a 1-ton, that's for sure:laughing:

Even a small load is too big when you're using a utility trailer tire and some cable as your trailer hitch.

My buddy saw this a couple months back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-090657_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-090657_Gallery.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 171
Thos 5k axles? 6 lug?

looks like about 15k there not horrible but not great
6 lug. 5200# each. Trailer weighs 3k. Excavator weighs 4k skid steer weighs 4800.

If you factor in the tongue weight it might be legal, but probably not.

New strapping technique
20210701_090018.jpg
Reminds me of a chinatop I hooked onto at the last place I worked. Kicked the doors open to check the load/straps and just about shit.
Trailer was setup for flat hooks, didn't have any, so their solution was to loop the straps around the flat bar and use the tension from the winch to hold it in place against itself. :homer:
Oh, and the one strap they just draped over the load and stuffed the ends under the pallet.
20150812_220136.jpg

20150812_222359.jpg

water. for a community well.

funny story, because the county inspector is retarded they chose to test the tank by putting air pressure to it. even after the CWI inspected and found zero flaws. obviously i told him its a bad idea, and i wouldn't cover any damage. but, if that was what they where gong to do they better put as much water as possible in it first to hold the bottom flat.

well, they filled it about 2/3 and then put 10-15psi in. it lifted the bottom edge 8-10inches off the pad and sounded like a bomb went of when they released pressure the next day! but it survived:smokin: and i got paid

my shop is close to a state park boat launch and the original plan was to complete the tank in the shop and have a landing craft deliver to the island. park rangers wouldn't allow it and thats when i went the BDL route
I design tanks for a living. 15 PSI is beyond stupid that's how people get killed :homer: Glad you made it out safe

I think everyone who went to highschool between about 1988 and 2018 has had that experience though not necessarily with gravel. :laughing:

I've never seen a 2.3 2wd 5spd Ranger in the junkyard without several hundred thousand worth of wear on the seats and bed. The TTB generation ones were probably the most durable small truck bar none.

People blow up the 3.0s and 4.0s on occasion and obviously the auto never makes it much past 200 but the 2.3 is so reliable while also being just barely not strong enough to hurt the driveline that the trucks just go forever.
I worked for the park service in the late 80s and they had a bunch of 2wd rangers with the four banger and manual trans ,
Mostly the four speed. A couple were the five speed .
You can not break those trucks . We tried .

I worked for the park service in the late 80s and they had a bunch of 2wd rangers with the four banger and manual trans ,
Mostly the four speed. A couple were the five speed .
You can not break those trucks . We tried .
my 2wd 2.9/5spd was the forestry service green
has 3.73s and a limited slip
fun little shitbox, it never saw less than the rev limiter on every shift

my 2wd 2.9/5spd was the forestry service green
has 3.73s and a limited slip
fun little shitbox, it never saw less than the rev limiter on every shift
It is amazing how a car maker can make something like that ranger 4 cylinder that takes abuse forever then make a motor like the 3v 5.4 that is junk at 100k.

It is amazing how a car maker can make something like that ranger 4 cylinder that takes abuse forever then make a motor like the 3v 5.4 that is junk at 100k.

They probably thought that trucks that last forever are bad for business. Then they overcompensated....

Top Back Refresh