What's new

Big Dumb Loads

IMG_9925.jpeg

Was googling the v 12 TDI Audi Q7. It was supposed to come here but never did because 2008 happened. It’s gonna dismal towrating despite 700 foot pounds of torque.

Tow ratings have nothing to do with engine power/torque. They're about chassis stability, strength and braking ability. That's why the V12 Q7's have the same tow rating as the V6 ones.

Light vehicles all over the world top-out at 3500kg tow capacity. I've got a 1985 Range Rover which has a towbar and handbook stating 4 ton capacity before the world decided that 3.5 ton was enough.

Tow ratings have nothing to do with engine power/torque. They're about chassis stability, strength and braking ability. That's why the V12 Q7's have the same tow rating as the V6 ones.

Light vehicles all over the world top-out at 3500kg tow capacity. I've got a 1985 Range Rover which has a towbar and handbook stating 4 ton capacity before the world decided that 3.5 ton was enough.
Euro and South America ratings are often higher for same running gear. American ratings are the ones who pussied out

Tow ratings have nothing to do with engine power/torque.
SAE test requires a grade pull without overheating or de-rating so the reason your V12 can't tow more is because it's limited by the cooling package, same with just about every car and car like vehicle that isn't designed with the intent of towing big shit.

Euro and South America ratings are often higher for same running gear. American ratings are the ones who pussied out
Yeah companies are really scared of death valley scenarios in the US so they derate. The US has the biggest climate and terrain range for any single country.

SAE test requires a grade pull without overheating or de-rating so the reason your V12 can't tow more is because it's limited by the cooling package, same with just about every car and car like vehicle that isn't designed with the intent of towing big shit.

Nope. Both are limited by the same chassis. None of them have a cooling problem.
Chassis wise some have air suspension and some have coil suspension.

that's gotta be at least 2 tons of wood, using my eyeball calculator. can't weight much with the giant holes in the middle :flipoff2:

these ones confuse me. That's got to be what, a $10-15k trailer? and loads like this destroy it. is it really that hard to make 2 trips?

Well, you see, if you have to make 2 trips across town instead of one, you'll back up the whole rest of the week and maybe lose a job!

Hows that, Arse?

these ones confuse me. That's got to be what, a $10-15k trailer? and loads like this destroy it. is it really that hard to make 2 trips?
Not to mention the 35-40k truck getting damaged by one of the rounds fucking off.

Top Back Refresh