What's new

Big Dumb Loads

It is amazing how a car maker can make something like that ranger 4 cylinder that takes abuse forever then make a motor like the 3v 5.4 that is junk at 100k.
Change the oil at least half as offten as you should and it will be junk at 300k. You're paying the stupid tax.

I'd laugh if I saw this guy on the highway.
X_pYENn&tn=e4wUm41veGrC8DP2&_nc_ht=scontent-fml2-1.jpg

Change the oil at least half as offten as you should and it will be junk at 300k. You're paying the stupid tax.
i get paid to fix them. I am not paying any tax. Even a meticulously maintained 3V 5.4 is likely to have big, expensive problems around 100k.

i get paid to fix them. I am not paying any tax. Even a meticulously maintained 3V 5.4 is likely to have big, expensive problems around 100k.
Like what? Phasers can be pushed out well beyond 200k with regular oil changes. Plugs are a non-issue.

Like what? Phasers can be pushed out well beyond 200k with regular oil changes. Plugs are a non-issue.
I have seen a lot of them with low oil pressure from running with bad phasers or tensioners. Once they start making noise it’s a good chance you are throwing money into a bad engine. It’s why Ford came out with new vvt stuff to run on lower oil pressure and all kinds of bandaids. Don’t play dumb.

I have seen a lot of them with low oil pressure from running with bad phasers or tensioners. Once they start making noise it’s a good chance you are throwing money into a bad engine. It’s why Ford came out with new vvt stuff to run on lower oil pressure and all kinds of bandaids. Don’t play dumb.
Mine made it to 116k and didn't have any evidence of sludge when I fixed it. About $2000 in parts and special tools and its all good.......for now🤪

Mine made it to 116k and didn't have any evidence of sludge when I fixed it. About $2000 in parts and special tools and its all good.......for now🤪
Ford just plain fucked up with the 3V 5.4. It’s too bad.

Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Change the oil in your ride and gtfo of where you are.

so youre saying I am a fool for trying to change phasers in mine?

so youre saying I am a fool for trying to change phasers in mine?
how is the oil pressure? If the oil pressure is low from the crappy tensioners, it may have wiped out the cam bearing surface which will cause low oil pressure once the tensioner is replaced.

how is the oil pressure?

I dont remember tbh. Drove it 90 miles, parked, and had my guy start taking it apart one bolt at a time. I want to say it was normal, because I dont recall anything being off on the gauges other than the check engine light.

My take is, if phasers dont fix it, take it to a shop and do chain, guides, oil pump, etc. (because it would take us 3 years to do it). Or am I fucking up?

Reactions: DMG
Honk if shit is falling off.......

Attachments

• thumbnail_image_6483441.jpg
    thumbnail_image_6483441.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 85
I dont remember tbh. Drove it 90 miles, parked, and had my guy start taking it apart one bolt at a time. I want to say it was normal, because I dont recall anything being off on the gauges other than the check engine light.

My take is, if phasers dont fix it, take it to a shop and do chain, guides, oil pump, etc. (because it would take us 3 years to do it). Or am I fucking up?
If your in far enough to do phasers just do everything including a new high pressure oil pump. It's not a hard job other than the need for a few special tools

Reactions: DMG
i cant say that the 3v 5.4 owes me anything. i picked the truck up w/ 200k on it, its now just shy of 260k. and about 80% of the miles are put on it as pictured, 76 nights in camper the last 12months, overloaded and peddle to the floored.

have only changed the oil, i do need to replace the maniflold, they have a crack that makes a little noise on start up. i've read only enough about cam phasers to know i'm not going to worry about it. if/ when the motor goes i'll buy a new/ reman and drop it and keep going.

only kinda a bdl. right at 22k. there is another sxs in the trailers and all the crap for for a family of four, kids 2 and 3 years old.

when leaving for a trip the final step is to scoot the seat a little forward. makes holding the peddle to the floor easier. trips we take the drive time is between 3 and 30hrs each way. hoping to get 4.56 gears in it before the next big trip.

7Md43FtZgYG2aZOEFxIZDgPoaI=w926-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg

If your in far enough to do phasers just do everything including a new high pressure oil pump. It's not a hard job other than the need for a few special tools

It took us 6 months to get the valve covers off. The other guys arent as mechanical as I am, and I am too busy as is. It took probably 9 months to put my 5.9 magnum back together. I rather tow it to a mechanic than do more than this ourselves. Weve got four trucks and a shuttle bus to keep running, those are the ones putting food on the table.

honestly at this point I am thinking of finding a shop and towing it there to do the pump chain and all that. I just dont think a shop will want to deal with a truck thats half apart already.

Top Back Refresh