What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Big Dumb Loads

FB_IMG_1516548378331.jpg
FB_IMG_1516548393998.jpg

Potato pic shows the ramp before the vert wall was added in back. Second pic shows a hip that was opposite the bowl. It had a runway bypassing the spine and would put you into the bowl.

That's sick. I took a couple better pictures of mine. I'll stick them in the random things you built thread, probably derailed this one enough for now. :laughing:

This 1st gen ranger pulled right out in front of me in the bus. I had gained some momentum for the upcoming hill and was annoyed to have to slam on the brakes.

I was less annoyed when the little thing actually got up to speed and ran up the hill ok. Poor little ranger was screaming.:eek::eek:

1623071487779.png

This 1st gen ranger pulled right out in front of me in the bus. I had gained some momentum for the upcoming hill and was annoyed to have to slam on the brakes.

I was less annoyed when the little thing actually got up to speed and ran up the hill ok. Poor little ranger was screaming.:eek::eek:
I think you met future me. :laughing:

Looking at a bare frame vs any other minitruck you'd think they must have known the stupid things people were gonna do with them. :laughing:

It's a travesty the 31spl 8.8 wasn't standard equipment though.
the comanche was still a better truck.

:flipoff2:

We had 2 long bed rangers at the place I worked in high school. 2wd, 2.3, 5 speed. We'd load that bed full of gravel and peel out. Mud flaps dragging the pavement :laughing:

We had 2 long bed rangers at the place I worked in high school. 2wd, 2.3, 5 speed. We'd load that bed full of gravel and peel out. Mud flaps dragging the pavement :laughing:
I think everyone who went to highschool between about 1988 and 2018 has had that experience though not necessarily with gravel. :laughing:

I've never seen a 2.3 2wd 5spd Ranger in the junkyard without several hundred thousand worth of wear on the seats and bed. The TTB generation ones were probably the most durable small truck bar none.

People blow up the 3.0s and 4.0s on occasion and obviously the auto never makes it much past 200 but the 2.3 is so reliable while also being just barely not strong enough to hurt the driveline that the trucks just go forever.

Last edited:
I think everyone who went to highschool between about 1988 and 2018 has had that experience though not necessarily with gravel. :laughing:

I've never seen a 2.3 2wd 5spd Ranger in the junkyard without several hundred thousand worth of wear on the seats and bed. The TTB generation ones were probably the most durable small truck bar none.

People blow up the 3.0s and 4.0s on occasion and obviously the auto never makes it much past 200 but the 2.3 is so reliable just barely not strong enough to hurt the driveline that the trucks just go forever.
I've got a soft spot for the TTB ones.

I've got a soft spot for the TTB ones.

I have a 95 sitting in the shop that has the TTB. The previous owner lifted it some and had it on 35s. Bought it with a 4.0 that was ticking pretty bad. Drove it home and got the interior all fixed up and have a new short block 4.0 and some heads ready to slap together, just haven't had the time yet. Also have an 84 and an 85 that are both 4wd TTB rangers. Kinda want to slap a small diesel in one of them someday. :grinpimp:

Looking at a bare frame vs any other minitruck you'd think they must have known the stupid things people were gonna do with them. :laughing:

It's a travesty the 31spl 8.8 wasn't standard equipment though.
Old toyotas had a stronger frame. They both rust to shit around here though.

I have a 95 sitting in the shop that has the TTB. The previous owner lifted it some and had it on 35s. Bought it with a 4.0 that was ticking pretty bad. Drove it home and got the interior all fixed up and have a new short block 4.0 and some heads ready to slap together, just haven't had the time yet. Also have an 84 and an 85 that are both 4wd TTB rangers. Kinda want to slap a small diesel in one of them someday. :grinpimp:
When I was living in Florida I was working out of a shop that had a tiny alley beside it. I heard the clattering fuel knock of a diesel driving past so I jumped outside to see what could be, it was a ranger squeezing by. Guy stopped and showed me it was a little 4cyl cat swap and very well done. Would make an awesome daily driver.

Old toyotas had a stronger frame. They both rust to shit around here though.
No. They don't.

Take a tape measure next time you go to the junkyard. I did that once upon a time prior to buying a rusted out truck with the intention of building a frame. I wanted the truck that already had the deepest frame in order to minimize the adjustments needed to build a frame out of new steel. And that's how I wound up buying a Ranger.

The Ranger has substantially more web height from the front leaf hanger under the cab on forward (i.e. where it matters most). And it has enough extra depth to make a difference from there back as well.

Pics are Ranger, Ranger/Exploder and Tacoma. I'm having a hard time finding a picture of a single cab longbed ranger frame but that would drive the point home even more.

24263740065_large.jpg
Frames.JPG
DSC09472.jpg

Last edited:
When the belt is near due just keep one in the glovebox :lmao:
this
we got one that comes in with 650k last I saw the odo, ain't been working there for a year now but still see the truck around
he runs his tbelts until they let go and aaa pays to have it towed in

ETA: kinda funny but iirc I calculated that he's put 80 thousand dollars through the filler neck of that thing

They also came with a 2.3L diesel and stick. The ttb ones. Buddy had one he drove the shit out of until a lady T boned him. He saved the drivetrain. Got amazing mileage and he turned it up. Hilarious seeing a square body ranger roll smoke
Edit, we are in the BDL thread. I’ll have to see if I can find a pic of him hauling scrap with that thing, gooseneck in the bed with 2 derby cars on it 😆

No. They don't.

Take a tape measure next time you go to the junkyard. I did that once upon a time prior to buying a rusted out truck with the intention of building a frame. I wanted the truck that already had the deepest frame in order to minimize the adjustments needed to build a frame out of new steel. And that's how I wound up buying a Ranger.

The Ranger has substantially more web height from the front leaf hanger under the cab on forward (i.e. where it matters most). And it has enough extra depth to make a difference from there back as well.

Pics are Ranger, Ranger/Exploder and Tacoma. I'm having a hard time finding a picture of a single cab longbed ranger frame but that would drive the point home even more.

24263740065_large.jpg
Frames.JPG
DSC09472.jpg
Did I say tacoma, masshole?

The changes between the 80s/90s generation of Hilux and the first gen Tacoma frame are negligible and we both know it.
changes between hilux and tacoma are NOT negligible. Period. Stop.

But I would argue that the ranger is a thicker, taller frame than the hilux or tacoma.

Reactions: DMG
Integrated trailer brakes were a long overdue technology. It works perfectly on my gmt900, pressure sensor on brake booster so it applies the trailer brakes proportional to how hard you hit the pedal * gain setting.

No trailer brakes, 10' wide load of green hard maple and oak logs coming off a site we're clearing. Kind of BDL because of width.

woodbdl.jpg
Paul, Paul Dice. Nice to finally meet you.

I think you met future
The western desert version of me. picked up a few bags of short rounds, guy wouldn't load two, I said come On man! It's a fuckin ford ranger It'll be fine! Something about an axle breaking and blocking a driveway. It's sitting on 12k lb's of tire, have yet to get it on the bumps....

Some marketing speak I read is that they intended it to be Just as capable as an F150 just smaller and cheaper. Seems like they hit the goal till it got car suspension in the front with the 98 redesign.

bdlrainja.jpg

The western desert version of me. picked up a few bags of short rounds, guy wouldn't load two, I said come On man! It's a fuckin ford ranger It'll be fine! Something about an axle breaking and blocking a driveway. It's sitting on 12k lb's of tire, have yet to get it on the bumps....

Some marketing speak I read is that they intended it to be Just as capable as an F150 just smaller and cheaper. Seems like they hit the goal till it got car suspension in the front with the 98 redesign.

bdlrainja.jpg
Did you get that turd next to it running?

changes between hilux and tacoma are NOT negligible. Period. Stop.

But I would argue that the ranger is a thicker, taller frame than the hilux or tacoma.
The ranger is a C channel frame. Toyota is fully boxed.

I think Arse just likes the ranger because there is a factory option for a rooftop tent.

The ranger is a C channel frame. Toyota is fully boxed.

I think Arse just likes the ranger because there is a factory option for a rooftop tent.
Tacoma is not, never has been, fully boxed.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh