What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Big Dumb Loads

The metal on the inside of the rail is paper thin even before it rusts and its only there to trap mud and salt.

That's only what yankees think, I've got 30+ year old yota frames that look new.

The current hilux and tacoma have very little in common. I wish we got the hilux instead of that queer thing the Tacoma has become in the states.

Reactions: DMG
That's only what yankees think, I've got 30+ year old yota frames that look new.

The current hilux and tacoma have very little in common. I wish we got the hilux instead of that queer thing the Tacoma has become in the states.

Because that's what 99.9% of American's want. The softer the better.

The changes between the 80s/90s generation of Hilux and the first gen Tacoma frame are negligible and we both know it.

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 12.04.10 PM.png
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2508[1].jpg
"i hate anything thats popular because its popular so i make shit up about how shitty it is to justify my stupidity"

tell us how you really feel :homer:

you really cant stand the fact that old hilux pickups were some of the most robust mini trucks ever built which created a stupid cult like toyota following so now you just fucking hate on them when ever you can :laughing:

The metal on the inside of the rail is paper thin even before it rusts and its only there to trap mud and salt.
Inside and outside are the same thickness on the ones I have cut apart.

Fords are made from higher tensile strength steel than Toyotas.

Which is stronger is debatable. Would need to strap each to a frame table and measure deflection for a given load.

What could possibly be so small yet so heavy? Wish the tarp was removed.
_nc_ohc=oGNLIqq5m4oAX8jfPKp&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg
Ok, so what if this load isn’t that heavy and the trailer just broke because the Ryder unit backed into it?

The ranger is a C channel frame. Toyota is fully boxed.
I almost said "and before you say something stupid about C vs tube..." but then I thought, nah, I'll let him shoot himself in the foot. :laughing:

I was waiting for you to say this. Now please, educate all of us about what ways box tube is stronger than C for a given dimension and how that is relevant to truck frames.

Since I don't have time to wait around for you to dig a big hole I'll cut straight to the spoiler and tell you that it's about resisting flex, not about bending strength.

I almost said "and before you say something stupid about C vs tube..." but then I thought, nah, I'll let him shoot himself in the foot. :laughing:

I was waiting for you to say this. Now please, educate all of us about what ways box tube is stronger than C for a given dimension and how that is relevant to truck frames.

Since I don't have time to wait around for you to dig a big hole I'll cut straight to the spoiler and tell you that it's about resisting flex, not about bending strength.
Go ahead and measure the thickness and dimensions and ask an engineer.

Or ask the engineers that chose Toyota over Ranger for Uhaul trucks, motor homes, 1 ton trucks, dually flatbeds, etc.

Last edited:
I miss my '90 almost enough to buy another.
buying another means heading like a thousand miles south though

If I found another one "govern-mint green" I'd probably do it.

it was a fairly nice one too
and I cut the fucking thing up rather than parking it out back for a few years.
I'm the stupidest dude around.
What trans did you use?

When you aligned the engine fore-aft did you put it where it wanted to be and just let the shifter wind up wherever or did you place the trans where it wanted to be and fuck around with radiator and firewall to make it work?

What trans did you use?

When you aligned the engine fore-aft did you put it where it wanted to be and just let the shifter wind up wherever or did you place the trans where it wanted to be and fuck around with radiator and firewall to make it work?
435 and later on a zf
shifter was well under the dash, bent into a zig-zag, radiator was gonna end up around front of the core support
couldn't get a front axle under it without feet of lift, so I lost interest, it sat for about a year then I ended up cutting it up

There’s no shortage of square rangers around, even found 2 ext cabs up here that aren’t rusted to shit.

There’s no shortage of square rangers around, even found 2 ext cabs up here that aren’t rusted to shit.
There's not many single cab ones despite them being probably 50% of sales back in the day.

435 and later on a zf
shifter was well under the dash, bent into a zig-zag, radiator was gonna end up around front of the core support
couldn't get a front axle under it without feet of lift, so I lost interest, it sat for about a year then I ended up cutting it up
Ok so I should be fine to cut the firewall to stick a 300 decently far back in there without having the shifter wind up where the middle seat should be.

There's not many single cab ones despite them being probably 50% of sales back in the day.

Ok so I should be fine to cut the firewall to stick a 300 decently far back in there without having the shifter wind up where the middle seat should be.
I love the 300 I6 but you must hate yourself if you want to put one in a ranger.

I love the 300 I6 but you must hate yourself if you want to put one in a ranger.
Yes, yes I do.:laughing:

I know it's a stupid swap and the ROI on an Exploere 302 is tons better and that swap is much more documented but I have a bunch of 300s around and I like them.

A couple people have done it. It's bad but not a terrible swap. Basically you spend all your time fucking with the core support instead of fucking with steering/exhaust/hvac to clear a wide engine. I'm probably gonna wind up tilting it a bit to move the EFI lower away from the HVAC which has the side benefit of moving the shifter toward the driver.

I didn't fuck with the firewall at all, sheetmetal work scares me
you will be putting the radiator in the back or something similarly stupid looking

Sounds like the tanks are also lead lined, so a little extra weight there.

Top Back Refresh