What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

Big Dumb Loads

Yes.
HlrqK5x9t_Wt6546-JlNo3I43uk&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

And who knows how much water is in it.
I read somewhere that a 10yr old mattress has between 5 and 10lbs of skin cells in it from normal use.

Thats just skin cells, not counting wayward semen and such.

So on a boat like that I would figure around 1000lbs of just dirt alone.

What could possibly be so small yet so heavy? Wish the tarp was removed.
_nc_ohc=oGNLIqq5m4oAX8jfPKp&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

Steel counterweights (such as base weights for a crane) perhaps? I know with the counterweights that one of the local crane companies use they can only fit a few of them on a trailer.

I would say rolled steel, but those are too short to be a coil unless it was laid over on that side and I don't think they do that due to the difficulty in shipping them that way.

Aaron Z

This is my big dumb load that I do pretty regularly.

Only a couple of feet longer than max legal overhang here, but pretty spooky from the drivers seat...

IMG_20201205_152824[1].jpg

What could possibly be so small yet so heavy? Wish the tarp was removed.
_nc_ohc=oGNLIqq5m4oAX8jfPKp&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg
Rolls of sheet steel.

Theres been many pics like that of them.
I posted one years ago that was a trans craft trailer with the roll just in front of the axle set that did the say thing.

You have to be pretty dumb to put 10ft long ~50k lbs in the middle of the trailer :laughing:

Have you met any of the truck drivers of today? 98% of them are as dumb as a box of rocks. They ask us to load up their trailers at work that way all the time and we have to tell them no, it will bend the trailer. That comment is usually followed by a blank stare.........

Also, there have been several "heavy haul drivers" that show up to my shop that have no fucking clue what they are doing. I get the "how should I chain it down" question after I load the rig all the time. My reply is always "tightly". These things have tracks like an excavator, giant red D rings front and back on the undercarriage and even two tie down points on the outsides of the track frames...... :shaking:

More pics of ramp setup please!

Old pic from when we first put it together. I've since had to move all the car parts and sheet the walls, those purlins are fucking sharp when you instinctively grab one for balance!

Built it for myself whilst pretending to build it for the kids. They lost interest pretty quick when they realised it takes more then ten minutes to become Mike Vallely.

It's all just free MDF coversheets from work, there's not an ounce of solid timber in it. Only cost me for the pipe for the coping and a couple boxes of screws.

I'll get some better pics over the weekend...

IMG_20191005_170733[1].jpg

Old pic from when we first put it together. I've since had to move all the car parts and sheet the walls, those purlins are fucking sharp when you instinctively grab one for balance!

Built it for myself whilst pretending to build it for the kids. They lost interest pretty quick when they realised it takes more then ten minutes to become Mike Vallely.

It's all just free MDF coversheets from work, there's not an ounce of solid timber in it. Only cost me for the pipe for the coping and a couple boxes of screws.

I'll get some better pics over the weekend...

IMG_20191005_170733[1].jpg
Rad. I used to like building ramps as much as riding them. I rode bmx bikes back then. Had a 6' high 16' wide mini with a spine, deck on one side and a bowl with vert wall on the other side. I miss it.

There is something about boar ramps that attracts the um, creative, or challenged individuals

Working for years within sight of a boat ramp for years..
Some would think that backing a trailer up was a skill directly gifted from god
Others just launch their boat right there on the concrete

Then there are these types, I suspect a chemical influence with that amount of creativity

There is something about boar ramps that attracts the um, creative, or challenged individuals

Working for years within sight of a boat ramp for years..
Some would think that backing a trailer up was a skill directly gifted from god
Others just launch their boat right there on the concrete

Then there are these types, I suspect a chemical influence with that amount of creativity
I'm thinking chemical influence was involved in those first two sentences. :flipoff2:

You have to be pretty dumb to put 10ft long ~50k lbs in the middle of the trailer :laughing:
I was a trucker ( house hold ) for 43 years not sure what that load weighs but you need to balance your load so your not over weight , if that was 50 k he would have been majorly over weight on the axle he centered it on . as a driver i think he did the right thing as far as where the load was , i think either it was over 50 k or he had structural problems with the trailer .

Have you met any of the truck drivers of today? 98% of them are as dumb as a box of rocks. They ask us to load up their trailers at work that way all the time and we have to tell them no, it will bend the trailer. That comment is usually followed by a blank stare.........

Also, there have been several "heavy haul drivers" that show up to my shop that have no fucking clue what they are doing. I get the "how should I chain it down" question after I load the rig all the time. My reply is always "tightly". These things have tracks like an excavator, giant red D rings front and back on the undercarriage and even two tie down points on the outsides of the track frames...... :shaking:
I have been traveling quite a bit lately on major interstates. Truckers are not the professional drivers they used to be, that's for sure. I see lots of them texting while weaving all over the highway. I had parked my RV off the side of a large empty dirt area to get my dog out for a pee. Within the span of about ten minutes a bunch of Fed Ex big rigs pulled in and completely blocked me in while they all shot the shit. I had to tell one of them to move so I could get out. When I was leaving, an incoming truck drove on the wrong side of a two lane road forcing me to stop for him because his lane was blocked. Fuck you Fed Ex

I was a trucker ( house hold ) for 43 years not sure what that load weighs but you need to balance your load so your not over weight , if that was 50 k he would have been majorly over weight on the axle he centered it on . as a driver i think he did the right thing as far as where the load was , i think either it was over 50 k or he had structural problems with the trailer .
Yes, i understand how that works. I was basing that on that it was 2 pieces which could be placed at either end.

Is a standard flat deck able to handle that kind of weight on that concentrated of an area?

Yes, i understand how that works. I was basing that on that it was 2 pieces which could be placed at either end.

Is a standard flat deck able to handle that kind of weight on that concentrated of an area?
this is how i always see heavy concentrated loads placed, never in the middle
dh9cmgalnuyfxhgmhgpm.jpg

this is how i always see heavy concentrated loads placed, never in the middle
dh9cmgalnuyfxhgmhgpm.jpg
Preferably yes this is the correct way to split the load " IF" it can be split , but who knows what the item is and if it is more than one piece . if it is a more than one piece that driver is a moron and i hope he owned the trailer so he learned something !

Preferably yes this is the correct way to split the load " IF" it can be split , but who knows what the item is and if it is more than one piece . if it is a more than one piece that driver is a moron and i hope he owned the trailer so he learned something !
if it cant be split then you need a trailer built for the weight, his clearly wasnt :laughing:

Another one for me. Not really big and dumb, but big and awkward... 10.5' diameter and the tank part is 17.5' long plus whatever the legs are.

Worst part is my forklift wouldn't lift high enough to unload it so we hooked it up to the crane on my service truck to unload it. In the middle of a lightning storm. :laughing: Managed to get it off the trailer and set on the ground before the rain hit so that was a win!

Attachments

• IMG_2021-05-29_18-24-56.jpeg
    IMG_2021-05-29_18-24-56.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 145
Another one for me. Not really big and dumb, but big and awkward... 10.5' diameter and the tank part is 17.5' long plus whatever the legs are.

Worst part is my forklift wouldn't lift high enough to unload it so we hooked it up to the crane on my service truck to unload it. In the middle of a lightning storm. :laughing: Managed to get it off the trailer and set on the ground before the rain hit so that was a win!
we have a "pics of me towing stuff" thread in the tow rig forum :homer::flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh