What's new

Best stock class 4600/4500 Base

in that case, i don't have to worry about getting hung up on the wide as fuck rockers :laughing:

At some point, one of us is going to have to pick up a retired work truck 6.2L F250, gut it, do a very mild suspension build, and drag it down to Johnson Valley as a proof of concept. I'm with you that I really feel it "could" work with the current 4600 course... But I could also be talking out my ass. We won't know until we try. Worst case scenario we part out the truck after having a hell of a good time.

:grinpimp:

Looks like the best rig is a 22R straight axle leafsprung Toyota. That’s twice now Justin Reece has won with that truck. It’s such a simple conglomeration of parts that it doesn’t seem to me like it should work. The desert lap was 76 miles of shit I can’t imagine doing on leaf springs. But Justin has once again proven me wrong.

My friends with the ZJ broke the front suspension in the desert. This is the hardest KOH has been since the EMC started.

Last edited:
Looks like the best rig is a 22R straight axle leafsprung Toyota. That’s twice now Justin Reece has won with that truck. My friends with the ZJ broke the front suspension in the desert. This is the hardest KOH has been since the EMC started.

Crazy, isn't it!

I bet nobody was expecting to see that truck up front this year and all were thinking last year was just a fluke. :laughing:

What did you think about the 2 golf carts finishing the main race? :smokin:

Looks like the best rig is a 22R straight axle leafsprung Toyota. That’s twice now Justin Reece has won with that truck. It’s such a simple conglomeration of parts that it doesn’t seem to me like it should work. The desert lap was 76 miles of shit I can’t imagine doing on leaf springs. But Justin has once again proven me wrong.

My friends with the ZJ broke the front suspension in the desert. This is the hardest KOH has been since the EMC started.

The best rig is the one you've spent years dialing in and getting just right. Your average build shows up for KOH with maybe 10hr of hard desert driving on it. With the amount of time he's spent getting that truck just right he could win in just about anything.

well, just like slawson, reece wasn't winning until he was. when everything breaks and you're the one left standing :rasta:

this was a brutal race this year.

on the super duty, the door skirts down to cover the rocker. stupid design, but the door sill is still the flat part to keep the water out from the rain/floorboard. so with tube doors there is still some gain to be had :flipoff2:

any idea what took out the full size bronce that was running??

Randy has said in the past that if they made it hard no one would outlast him. This year they did that, made it hard enough long enough that anyone he couldn’t outrun in the desert he could outlast in the rocks. That new bomber is awesome!

The full-size Bronco broke a radius arm on the desert whoops I think. They got it fixed and made more miles and timed out. Waiting on confirmation.

The full-size Bronco broke a radius arm on the desert whoops I think. They got it fixed and made more miles and timed out. Waiting on confirmation.

Thanks for the update on 4680. I was really hoping to see how he did in the rocks, but I suppose it doesn't really matter because he probably would have just got stuck in the big traffic jam on Outer Limits and just timed out with the rest of the class. He was holding his own until he broke just ouside of Cougar Buttes.

So without reading the rules, are only year specific drive train combos allowed?
Which category would a 79 bronco with a 97 Windsor in it fit?

So without reading the rules, are only year specific drive train combos allowed?

year specific drivetrains. anything sold in 79 as a 79 bronco can be used.

transmissions seem to be a bigger sticking point than engines :laughing:

So 5.8/z f5/ 205 combo puts you in 4400?
​​​​

​​​​

4500 or 4800 or 4400.

4800 is probably the easiest class to build for and be reasonable number finisher, unlimited except for tire and shock.

4500 is more work to comply with, but still requires all the effort of a full custom buggy plus adhering to the steering/frame/tire rules

​​​​

I wouldn’t trash that thing for a KOH rig, but the ZF swap wouldn’t be allowed. A single piece rear main block isn’t a problem though.

I wouldn’t trash that thing for a KOH rig, but the ZF swap wouldn’t be allowed. A single piece rear main block isn’t a problem though.

Except that Windsors were never available in '78-'79 Broncos. It would have to be a tall deck 335 series engine (351M/400 based). However, I was given explicit permission to be able to use a newer short deck (5.0L) Windsor block in place of the original '73 302 block in my build, so the engine doesn't have to be "numbers matching" to be legal. It seems like all they care about is that a factory casting block equivalent to the original engine that was available is used. If you are serious and have questions regarding the rules you can email the person in charge of the technical inspections and get an answer.

However, the engine and trans you use have to have been available in the same make and model year as the chassis/body. You can't go mixing and matching from various years.

Except that Windsors were never available in '78-'79 Broncos. It would have to be a tall deck 335 series engine (351M/400 based). However, I was given explicit permission to be able to use a newer short deck (5.0L) Windsor block in place of the original '73 302 block in my build, so the engine doesn't have to be "numbers matching" to be legal. It seems like all they care about is that a factory casting block equivalent to the original engine that was available is used. If you are serious and have questions regarding the rules you can email the person in charge of the technical inspections and get an answer.

However, the engine and trans you use have to have been available in the same make and model year as the chassis/body. You can't go mixing and matching from various years.

That’s basically what I was trying to get at. Were 351W’s not an option in the Bronco at that time? They were in the pickups. But absolutely correct, no mixing and matching across years with trans/engine combos. Like you said earlier, everyone wants to run a C5 trans but year wise the only pairing is the 2.8 and nobody wants to run that turd.

I’d have already built a 5.0 explorer if I could have used TTB but since those two things never came together in the same year I was told no. I don’t want a 5.0 chicken wing car. I also don’t want a 4.0 TTB car because I have zero faith in the transmission options available for it.

never ask if something is legal. generate a legit case giving rules as backup information to support you position and run it.

Sure you can do that, but I personally would be pretty bummed if I ended up winning, just to get DQed because of something stupid that isn't much of a real advantage anyway :laughing: I am a conservative person in that regard, and from what I've seen across all classes, not just 4600, is that it really comes down more to the driver and preparation for who wins rather than who has the most high-tech/expensive car. The last 3 years 4600 has been won by 4 cylinders with leaf springs. No disrespect to Justin Reece, but his car is pretty low-tech and basic, and not what anyone would consider a "class killer," but he has consistently good finishes due to his experience and preparation.

only 2 finishers in 4600 this year. :eek:

so, build whatever the fuck you want, give it a good winch not just for you but to rip the trail tampons out of the fucking way, leave them on their damn roof but clear the line, and if you can make it to the finish, you will podium.

edit: hell, race a gawddayum wrecker truck with a fooking crane in the bed, don't want your shitpile moved? don't shit the bed in the 1 damn line the 35" tires can take

Charge for the recoveries in the process and make money !

so, build whatever the fuck you want, give it a good winch not just for you but to rip the trail tampons out of the fucking way, leave them on their damn roof but clear the line, and if you can make it to the finish, you will podium.

This is what pisses me off the most. Way too people people enter and have zero intentions of being competitive, courteous, and leaving it all in the desert.

Some of these people just show up to say they "raced in KOH", but they need to learn when they're broke, or pussy footing around, to get the fuck out of the way. You're not trying to win, so make room for someone who has the desire to do so.

This is what pisses me off the most. Way too people people enter and have zero intentions of being competitive, courteous, and leaving it all in the desert.

Some of these people just show up to say they "raced in KOH", but they need to learn when they're broke, or pussy footing around, to get the fuck out of the way. You're not trying to win, so make room for someone who has the desire to do so.

after the first year when some of those fucks get their shit dragged sideways 15' on the roof or doors they'll learn :lmao:

edit: hell, race a gawddayum wrecker truck with a fooking crane in the bed, don't want your shitpile moved? don't shit the bed in the 1 damn line the 35" tires can take

Dude

You'll be the tampon in your SD on 35s :flipoff2:

It would be cool to see more finish, but that's the race, it's supposed to be hard. But on the other hand, I get what every one is saying. 1 guy who can drive, fix or recover his shit holding everyone else sucks. It's the same reason most of us avoid the Rubicon these days.

I feel like more recovery crews would be good. Once a guy blocking the trail hasn't moved in x amount of time, he's done. Weather he's dnf or put to the side in time out, I don't know.

Did Justin stay ahead of the shit shows or wheel around everyone? I believe Jesse wheeled around everyone last year which is what got him the win.

Dude

You'll be the tampon in your SD on 35s :flipoff2:

It would be cool to see more finish, but that's the race, it's supposed to be hard. But on the other hand, I get what every one is saying. 1 guy who can drive, fix or recover his shit holding everyone else sucks. It's the same reason most of us avoid the Rubicon these days.

I feel like more recovery crews would be good. Once a guy blocking the trail hasn't moved in x amount of time, he's done. Weather he's dnf or put to the side in time out, I don't know.

Did Justin stay ahead of the shit shows or wheel around everyone? I believe Jesse wheeled around everyone last year which is what got him the win.

jesse was first out by a good bit when the top 3 rolled in the same spot together last year. I think Justin was just able to make passes I don't see how he could have stayed so far ahead of the shitshow and there were a few dudes leading really well before they weren't

Definitely put a 15,000 # winch on that superduty. Probably better have one in the bed for pulling it backwards too

I think Justin was just able to make passes I don't see how he could have stayed so far ahead of the shitshow and there were a few dudes leading really well before they weren't

Justin was dealing with a lot of traffic throughout the rocks, but was able to get by whatever was going on on Outer Limits before it became a total parking lot (as was Erik Miller, Sean McNamara, and Jon Schaefer). If it weren't for the traffic he was dealing with, Justin would have made it back in before dark. I do agree though that a lot of the stock class could probably try a bit harder to get around the trail blockages or work together to remove them. It seems like a lot of them just got out of their vehicles and quit trying when they were sitting around on Outer Limits, but then again, I wasn't there, so maybe it really was impossible for them to get by before timing out.

Top Back Refresh