What's new

Anyone regret doing a Cummins swap?

The exhaust shouldn't be all that hot being free flowing...

My wife would tell you otherwise. The left side of the passenger side footwell (along the trans tunnel) in my old '97 Dodge would get pretty warm when towing through the hills. Full 4" exhaust with just a resonator.

Pete

My wife would tell you otherwise. The left side of the passenger side footwell (along the trans tunnel) in my old '97 Dodge would get pretty warm when towing through the hills. Full 4" exhaust with just a resonator.

Pete

I believe that, I just figured it shouldn't be as hot as the stock cat and restricted muffler, but maybe I'm wrong.

I figured I can wrap the down pipe if that's an issue. But the wife's always cold anyway, so maybe she'll enjoy it. :laughing:

Here’s a thought on sound deadening....what if you sprayed the valve cover and oil pan with lizard skin or whatever your gonna use and then stick on killmat. I bet that can be done cheap (atleast much cheaper then those blanket things) and will probably knock some engine noise down.

Here’s a thought on sound deadening....what if you sprayed the valve cover and oil pan with lizard skin or whatever your gonna use and then stick on killmat. I bet that can be done cheap (atleast much cheaper then those blanket things) and will probably knock some engine noise down.

I was thinking about spraying the oil pan. Maybe the valve covers, but they're 6 individual with fuel lines going in between. So that might be a pain.

I figured I can wrap the down pipe if that's an issue.
I know wrap degrades the pipe faster but I wrapped to the back of the trans. It makes a difference, not only inside the cab but in trans temps.

I know wrap degrades the pipe faster but I wrapped to the back of the trans. It makes a difference, not only inside the cab but in trans temps.

I've heard that too, stainless helps.

We'll see. That's stuff I can deal with after the swap. I was just trying to get an idea of what to put on the places I can't reach while the engine is out.

I ordered the stuff I mentioned.

I was thinking about spraying the oil pan. Maybe the valve covers, but they're 6 individual with fuel lines going in between. So that might be a pain.
take them off, spray, reinstall?

I'm very interested to hear how the oil pan responds...

I would take a cheapo replacement steel pan and cover to the nearest line X dealer and negotiate to have throw it in the booth and give it a bunch of thick coats along with their regularly scheduled work or if I was trying to be cheap I'd try my hand at fiberglass.

Those interior products are not made to hold up externally and in a few years will likely be having issues.

I believe that, I just figured it shouldn't be as hot as the stock cat and restricted muffler, but maybe I'm wrong.

I figured I can wrap the down pipe if that's an issue. But the wife's always cold anyway, so maybe she'll enjoy it. :laughing:
I had my 7.3 up and down pipes ceramic coated inside and out. Never noticed the floor being warm before but it did significantly drop my egts lugging it in the mountains with a load

I wrapped my 2001 Cummins valve cover with mat66 sound deadening 4 years ago and it made a small difference and has help up very well. I plan to do the oil pan sometime and see if it helps more

take them off, spray, reinstall?

I'm very interested to hear how the oil pan responds...

I'm thinking if I spray them thick enough to actually make a difference that the lines won't fit.

I would take a cheapo replacement steel pan and cover to the nearest line X dealer and negotiate to have throw it in the booth and give it a bunch of thick coats along with their regularly scheduled work or if I was trying to be cheap I'd try my hand at fiberglass.

Those interior products are not made to hold up externally and in a few years will likely be having issues.

Not a bad idea. I did read about someone doing exactly that and said they couldn't tell a difference :laughing:

People are saying even the bling bling oil pan blanket only makes a slight difference. So in reality, a spray on coating is probably going to be negligible. I just figured if it's sitting there and I have the cans, may as well.

Also a fluid filled harmonic ballancer helped dramatically in how smooth it runs... at least audibly
that's a lot of the reason behind dual mass flywheels
lug a 7.3 with a single mass down below idle and you'll really hear the gears rattle back and forth across their backlash right good
could probably hear that noise for a few miles if it were a quiet day

such is life with high compression engines with not enough rotating mass

that's a lot of the reason behind dual mass flywheels
lug a 7.3 with a single mass down below idle and you'll really hear the gears rattle back and forth across their backlash right good
could probably hear that noise for a few miles if it were a quiet day

such is life with high compression engines with not enough rotating mass
Same thing happens to 4th gen Ram trucks. put a big clutch in and when it lugs down to 1500rpm it sounds broken.

I guess someone stopped by the shop where the truck is at and made a ridiculous offer on it. I've said I'll never sell, but this is like twice of what I would consider selling it for :laughing:

We'll see if it's just blowing smoke or not soon I guess.
So you DID sell it?

Ya, i mean I'm not holding my breath, and I don't want to sell, but we're talking like decent used 6.7 money :laughing:
wow $60k thats awesome :lmao:

JK but really my time allocation these days makes me question my ability to get my oil changed on a Saturday.
It might be the best thing that ever happened, there is a bunch of difference from a OBS to a 6.7/6R140.

wow $60k thats awesome :lmao:

JK but really my time allocation these days makes me question my ability to get my oil changed on a Saturday.
It might be the best thing that ever happened, there is a bunch of difference from a OBS to a 6.7/6R140.

Not a 2 year old 30k mile one :flipoff2:

I've driven many 6.7s in almost every configuration except the 10 spd. My new work truck is a 19 F550 that grosses 37k lbs every day. It's pretty impressive how it handles it. I rarely tow more than the F150 can handle although I'd like to not be maxing it out often like I have been. Although I've never had a good enough reason to get a newer diesel.

I had a 2001 7.3 F350 DRW that was very stout and reliable before I sold it. With a few external engine mods, it was a very solid package.

I have a 4BT converted jeep and the cummins is a different animal. Yes, not the 6BT but similar, and it pulls hard with torque down low.

I wouldn't want a FUMMINS just based on the lack of OEM support. The numbers make it look very attractive but I've learned to keep my daily drivers and modified vehicles separate.

You’re the one who posted a pic of its underhood showing tons of zip ties on pbb? Lol

Probably, I was redoing the electrical and adding a bunch of stuff.
Not all the zip ties stayed, I cleaned that up as I finished wiring.
But yea, added a ton of stuff to that truck.

Not long after that picture, I drove it from North Carolina to Alaska hauling a loaded gooseneck.
Truck did great and didn't have a single problem, drove same load to California for a later move.
The Ford 7.3 platform is very solid with lots of support.

Even with all the modifications, I could drive that truck into dealer repair bay and never got turned away.
The 7.3, just like 6BT is just loud....cab needs insulation to keep sanity if modified.

Top Back Refresh