What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

#6 screws thread into the body and secure the switch. I had to tap the switch in with a plastic hammer, the fit was very tight.

trk99o3m8_Hs7itpEHbJZEA-g=w703-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

10-24 square nuts are slid into their slots, and used to secure the front bracket. I made the slots for a 5/16-18 SHCC. In hindsight, I problably wouldn't have done that again, and used a standard hex bolt and a washer. When I torque the bolts down, it deforms the plastic a little bit. There really isn't much surface area for the bolt head to grab being in a slot. It looks cool though. :lmao:
hFbnxUVsJy1xj2sHZMhXYv5_A=w703-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

And installed. I ground that little tit off that would hold a return spring. I am going to relocate that a little lower on the pedal.

-NgJNBNxbZ4zfywC6SeEHBLMQ=w703-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

Damn, that looks awesome.................................But you need to stop looking in the Midnight Panic thread.:flipoff2:

And to think I was really proud of my brake light switch mount. I got 5 maybe 6 minutes tied up in it.:shaking:

DSC00676.JPG

Damn, that looks awesome.................................But you need to stop looking in the Midnight Panic thread.:flipoff2:
A guy has to have goals, right?
And to think I was really proud of my brake light switch mount. I got 5 maybe 6 minutes tied up in it.:shaking:

DSC00676.JPG
I don't have my pedals hooked up to the masters yet, therefor I didn't know exatly where the pedal was going to land. Since I couldn't make it perfect, I made it adjustable. But hey, ours both accomplish the same thing, and you have wayyyyyyyy less time and money into your solution.:beer:

DSC00676.JPG

Are you only planning on using 2 bolts to mount that pedal assembly and is it bolted to more than just the firewall metal?

Are you only planning on using 2 bolts to mount that pedal assembly and is it bolted to more than just the firewall metal?
I don't think you were talking to me, BUT, this has been on my mind. Do you think I should add a L bracket and capture the two mounting holes on the top of the pedal mount near the firewall? It is currently held on with 4- 5/16-18 studs and nuts.

1678198871325.png

I don't think you were talking to me, BUT, this has been on my mind. Do you think I should add a L bracket and capture the two mounting holes on the top of the pedal mount near the firewall? It is currently held on with 4- 5/16-18 studs and nuts.

1678198871325.png

Do you have it braced to the chassis or is it just bolted to the firewall metal?

It's gonna flex the firewall if it's not solidly mounted. It takes alot more force on the pedal to stop a manual brake setup than something with vacuum or hydro boost.

I am in appleton for work if you need a 2nd set of hands.

Edit... wonder if i can fit parts for my ibex on the plane going back 🤔

How would you support the panel with the brake pedal? Tube going from firewall into the engine bay and down to the frame rail?

FIREWALL TO ENGINE BAY

ifxgJlP9e_enolgpnbQ8SD6Zg=w703-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

FIREWALL TO INSIDE OF CAB

iKkKdYxWQKzWxzMb3SM86Yz0A=w1363-h767-no?authuser=0.jpg

CHASSIS
pxTm9m-kVRC4fuN-lM_ezsXd=w1666-h1249-no?authuser=0.jpg

Sit in the seat and push on the pedal as hard as you can. It the firewall flexes, brace it more. If not, you're good. Could get creative with a laser pointer taped to the bracket to watch for the flex, or maybe just a couple foot long piece of anything rigid.

Sit in the seat and push on the pedal as hard as you can. It the firewall flexes, brace it more. If not, you're good. Could get creative with a laser pointer taped to the bracket to watch for the flex, or maybe just a couple foot long piece of anything rigid.
It is only tacked on at the moment. That is a panel that will get fully welded at a later date.

Piece of 1/4" aluminum formed into a "L" shape, grab all 4 bolt holes of the top of the pedal, go up the firewall and a couple random bolts where you could fit, maybe a gusset in-between bolt holes or on the ends for even more overkill. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Piece of 1/4" aluminum formed into a "L" shape, grab all 4 bolt holes of the top of the pedal, go up the firewall and a couple random bolts where you could fit, maybe a gusset in-between bolt holes or on the ends for even more overkill. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Yes, that makes sense, but I think some of the concern is the whole panel flexing on hard braking.

How thick is the panel the pedal is bolted to? And you said you were welding that panel in completely, correct?

The flat unsupported area of the panel doesn't seem that large but I see could the concern. A) thicker metal. B) beadroll the panel. C) Make a separate pedal mount that mounts the pedal, bolts to the firewall and somehow spreads the mounts out and up to the tube structure using some of your ninja skills.

The panel is 1/8" mild steel. It is only supported on one vertical side, and the top. There is a flange on the other side to add stiffness, but now that someone else brought it up, I am thinking harder about a solution.

Add a 1.5” x .25” flat bar with a notched end for the vertical tube. Flat bar should weld around/to the vertical tube and to plate on the engine side just under the MC at a length of about 8”
Bar runs horizontal.
Mimics the bottom flange of the plate but puts it directly where the load is.

Add a 1.5” x .25” flat bar with a notched end for the vertical tube. Flat bar should weld around/to the vertical tube and to plate on the engine side just under the MC at a length of about 8”
Bar runs horizontal.
Mimics the bottom flange of the plate but puts it directly where the load is.

Like so? You think that will be enough?

wFCYJZ5VViF14SNobWJ-Ab6aA=w568-h1009-no?authuser=0.jpg

I could also add a tube from the panel down to the frame?

1678237018324.png

Now that is awesome.....................................and why you should always look at the Midnight Panic updates:flipoff2:

As far as your brake pedal mounting goes. If that firewall portion is all 1/8" plate, I'd think that's going to be pretty tough to flex all by itself. If you think it needs more beef, Hydro's idea is a good one. Basically a doubler for the back side.
I've got a bigger sandwich plate on the engine side of my firewall.....and a hydroboost.

Now that is awesome.....................................and why you should always look at the Midnight Panic updates:flipoff2:

As far as your brake pedal mounting goes. If that firewall portion is all 1/8" plate, I'd think that's going to be pretty tough to flex all by itself. If you think it needs more beef, Hydro's idea is a good one. Basically a doubler for the back side.
I've got a bigger sandwich plate on the engine side of my firewall.....and a hydroboost.

What did he do now? I will have to check it out again though.... shucks. :lmao:

Edit: gt1guy , what were you refering to with the midnight panic updates?

By the time this rig gets finished I will be old and gray, I don't want to have to rework systems if I don't have to. I will more than likely add a piece of .25" domex to the back side and call it a day.

You ever wander into Appleton Steering? We used their racks exclusively for our super late models when we were building chassis. They make super nice stuff! :smokin:

This one:

They used to be in Minooka IL right off I80/I55 outside of Joliet. The website says they're in Carterville, IL now. Fred (owner with his brother) lived right across the street from me for almost 10 yrs. Super cool guy and always had fun stuff he was working on.

Top Back Refresh