What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

I expect this to go up by at least 250 lbs when it has fluid and everything else added. I tossed all the shafts, gears, springs, seats, harnesses, and wiring in. I am sure it will be pushing 5500 with me in it....

And in the pics it is at full bump with a 14.5" belly height on 40s. I am probably going to aim for 7 up 7 down in the front, and 8/9 in the rear.

DVnEnnhc3MDJRPOjnSi0rQg=w703-h1249-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Shoulda just bought a clapped out XJ and rebuilt it like I did. Much wheeling since you last put your tires on... Just kidding! Only kinda kidding! Looks good!

In an effort to get motivated again, I tossed the wheels and tires on. Then I had the stark realization that it has been 3.5 years since I had all four tires on it..... :eek::barf:

the quantity of time invested, is reflected in the quality.

keep your head up, enjoy the moto until the weather turns and get after it over the winter.

Glad to see a few updates and what amazing craftsmanship! Really enjoy blending metal work with 3-D Printing too!

I think you got the Pride colors all wrong:flipoff2:

Good to hear you're getting back on it. :beer: That thing looks sweet.

I know....... I tired to build it with weight in mind, but that didn't work out so well.

Imagine what a fat pig you would have ended up with if you were not thinking about weight when building it.

I bet all those unnecessary sensors and the miles of unneeded wiring for them sure weights a lot. :flipoff2:

the quantity of time invested, is reflected in the quality.

keep your head up, enjoy the moto until the weather turns and get after it over the winter.
Thank you. Yeah, the sumo is too much fun to park right now.

Glad to see a few updates and what amazing craftsmanship! Really enjoy blending metal work with 3-D Printing too!
Thanks! The 3D printer is pretty cool. A cool tool for sure.
I think you got the Pride colors all wrong:flipoff2:

Good to hear you're getting back on it. :beer: That thing looks sweet.
LOLOLOL. That is pretty funny. Just missing yellow.

Imagine what a fat pig you would have ended up with if you were not thinking about weight when building it.
I bet all those unnecessary sensors and the miles of unneeded wiring for them sure weights a lot. :flipoff2:
Honestly though, I am not sure where I could shave off that much weight. As much as I hate the saying "it is what it is", that is kinda how I feel at this point.

All those luxury’s add up in weight. That’s why a lot of buggies are KISS. Yeah, it is what it is…
When tear down and reassembly commence, I will be weighing each component and making notes. I really wanted to be under 5k rtr. But I don't think that will happen.

carbon fiber hood - If I could find one, maybe. I am a sucker for carbon.
carbon fiber seats - Not at the moment. I need to see if I can deal with the prps.
cloth doors - Hopefully no doors.
no tailgate - The trailgate is pretty dang light.
no heater - Too late.
safari top only - I have the trek top. It has that feature.
lexan windshield - na.
no radio / intercom / sound system - na.

Compromise is the name of the game

When tear down and reassembly commence, I will be weighing each component and making notes. I really wanted to be under 5k rtr. But I don't think that will happen.

Don't get all hung up on the weight. It will weigh what it weighs when it's exactly what you want. Your goals for the rig are yours and yours alone.

Remember, if weight was really the absolute devil, buggies wouldn't fill their tires with water.:smokin:

Don't get all hung up on the weight. It will weigh what it weighs when it's exactly what you want. Your goals for the rig are yours and yours alone.

Remember, if weight was really the absolute devil, buggies wouldn't fill their tires with water.:smokin:

I just wanna go fast. I wanna jump the thing in the worst way, then I wanna go fast. If it can do that, i'll be a happy camper.

I just wanna go fast. I wanna jump the thing in the worst way, then I wanna go fast. If it can do that, i'll be a happy camper.

Trophy trucks weigh almost, if not more than double what your rig weights and they have no problem jumping or going fast. You should be just fine.

Oh, and anything can be jumped once. :laughing:

And you'll be able to do that with tunes blasting, out of the rain and not freezing your ass off, all while having a conversion with the passenger.

Sounds like a good time.:beer:

Bad idea.

Get it running and drive it a bit. If you still want to sell it, you'll get twice as much for a running rig.

If you don't finish it, that fact will bug you for years.
Ain't that the truth! Will always be stuck wondering "What if/did that actually work???".

Take some time away from it but get out into the woods via passenger seat or watching an event/race in person. Remember why you started the build and that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Fuck off with that nonsense
Lol. I am back on it! Just wanted to fuck with you guys for a bit.

Riding season is coming to close, and I am ready to get rolling on it again. I did sell the shocks to a customer who needed them to continue progress on his build, and have more on order.. I was done with them until final assembly, so I figured I would pull the axles as well. This makes is much nicer to work around in my bay, and should make the wiring job a little easier.

I am trying to adopt a policy that any part I remove will get prepped for final assembly. I am taking the axle housings to get blasted next week, then I am going to paint them and build them out, put them in storage and move on to the next project. I need to focus on the center console, t-case shifters, and trans shifter. Once those items are addressed, I will dive headfirst into the wiring.

For the axles and trailing arms, I am going to have them blasted, primed and painted. I love the look of Steel-it coating, but can't justify the cost of $40.00 a can for something I am going to bash into rocks.

After talking with a rep from Seymour Paint, I am going to prime with a zinc phosphate primer, and then top coat with Stainless blast. It should have a similar finish to steel it. I am going to start with the trailing arms and see what I think before I paint the axles.

1696358308782.png

1696358334154.png

--

Top Back Refresh