What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

That drill press looks great.
Looking forward to seeing this thing on the trails.

Drill press was worth the work. I restored an old Rockwell drill press for the cost of of a new import. Different is the quality of the metal. More true with less flex. Easier to make or get parts for.

Little shop update:

Got the DD finished and... ...gave the shop a good cleaning.

0wrNQvX0OzO1igHI5Lo=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I love a clean Shop almost as much as I love a dirty one! But this can't be your personal shop, is it? IF so... then damn!

Ohh man, I had a Husky TR650 Terra with SM kit on it. It was fun <75 mph, anything more and it would start trying to say "no"... Which is fucking terrifying. "Tank slappers"

Turns out, BMW (they owned it before KTM) basically took the TR650 Strada, and but dual sport trim on it. The DS suspension on the Strada frame makes for some sketchy geometry. Not really much of a fix, so I sold it.

Also, sucks about the deer. I way-laid one earlier this year at 75 in my pickup. $13,000 RO. I had just prior renewed my policy, and had accidentally put the comp deductible @ $99 vs $999.

As Bob Ross would say, a "Happy mistake"

Awesome build man. I've been dabbling a long for the last week. Drawing inspiration for mine.

I am back on this, for the 1,000,000th time.

I need to get the axles off my table and to the blaster, and I needed to make sure the axles fit and everything is good to go. I started by cleaning the thirds of all the KOH dust and rust.

2yraXR0HPK77fd04PAA=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

hEhv-i4JeKCKZAz4_trQ=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

-IMBT4mFqFmK8zqpZhRA=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Bearings on and installing the ring gears. I tossed them in the oven, and heated the gears to 200°F, then they slid right on. Added locktite to the bolts and torqued to 65ft. lbs.

JzBCRuW0GiZxmMLhlXw=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Any input on the pattern? I think the pinion needs to come in a little bit, right now there is a .020" shim between the case and the pinion support.

ZoddXYEohk2mw5DrnU38=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

PezfYk1CHmaOcldgJ0Yg=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I assembled the axles this weekend, and all the shafts fit! That was nice to get done. Mocked everything up one last time, set alignment (roughly) and fit the steering stops. I used 5/8-18 coupling nuts and 5/8-18 bolts/jam nuts for the steering stops. The coupling nut was welded to the knuckle and a machined piece of 1 x 1.5 4140 bar stock was fit to the inner C. They are a little heavy, but they should take some abuse.

I didn't take many pics of this process.

SSLMhhN7BOhUAfvWXHBA=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

_txPsmprQ7BAUzFhjx2Q=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

m1WiVZNpdogsXqbh3bec=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Then started tearing down the axles and getting everything ready for painting/powdercoating.

v-DRXrawnOAWQQ8x8TE=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

While I was tearing apart the rear, I needed to make a stand to hold the thirds while painting. My thought process started out with a weldment of 1.5" square tubing (I have a bunch of scrap). I figured that would take me too long, and thought about making them out of 2x2 wood since I have some at the shop for building pallets. Still a lot of dinking for a one time use thing. Trying to KISS, I decided on a heavy duty cardboard box, stapled together for rigiditiy, and then loosely covered in stretch wrap. Plopped the thirds in and we are good to go. Cheap, easy, effective. And they are pre masked for painting (for the most part).

P3NgOoBE9H5QFXIjh2s=w2200-h1238-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I also picked up a cheap shelving unit to help hold all the parts during tear down.

WYS9mlYZiKZj1MBTA8Q0=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Now I need to decide on a color for the axles. Black is a no go.

Just my two cents- Paint axle housings dark gray (steelit) with orange accents. Anodize and paint little parts orange like fill caps and tie rods. Beadlock rings orange, wheels dark gray. Mix in black for a contrast.

Bet FSU Off-Road knows a guy that can get bright colored powders :lmao:

Gotta channel your inner "Handsome Jay" with the Mallcrawler build. :smokin:
Hahaha. Good point on using FSUs coater. Haha.

Just my two cents- Paint axle housings dark gray (steelit) with orange accents. Anodize and paint little parts orange like fill caps and tie rods. Beadlock rings orange, wheels dark gray. Mix in black for a contrast.
Do I just go steelit instead of powder? And the accents are going to be blue, spidertrax is blue, wilwood is blue, some brake line and plumbing fitting are blue.

The beadlocks are already assembled, and don't want to coat the rings right now, but I like where your head is at.

Top Back Refresh