What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

Lol. I am back on it! Just wanted to fuck with you guys for a bit.

Riding season is coming to close, and I am ready to get rolling on it again. I did sell the shocks to a customer who needed them to continue progress on his build, and have more on order.. I was done with them until final assembly, so I figured I would pull the axles as well. This makes is much nicer to work around in my bay, and should make the wiring job a little easier.

I am trying to adopt a policy that any part I remove will get prepped for final assembly. I am taking the axle housings to get blasted next week, then I am going to paint them and build them out, put them in storage and move on to the next project. I need to focus on the center console, t-case shifters, and trans shifter. Once those items are addressed, I will dive headfirst into the wiring.

For the axles and trailing arms, I am going to have them blasted, primed and painted. I love the look of Steel-it coating, but can't justify the cost of $40.00 a can for something I am going to bash into rocks.

After talking with a rep from Seymour Paint, I am going to prime with a zinc phosphate primer, and then top coat with Stainless blast. It should have a similar finish to steel it. I am going to start with the trailing arms and see what I think before I paint the axles.

1696358308782.png

1696358334154.png

--
Good to read that it was just a late, late Aprils Fools joke.

Taking the summer off was much needed. I feel refreshed and ready to work on it again. The husky turned out killer, and has satiated my need for ripping until the jeep is done. Ran 12.3 in the 1/4 mile last weekend. No more dinking around with stuff until the jeep is done!

1696358704831.png
That's great that you found an outlet to quench your need for speed and sharp looking chainsaw...I mean bike :lmao:

Good, now I don't feel bad about those god damn aluminum bushings. I have the stock sitting next to my desk and continually think to myself "I will do that this weekend......"

All good. Still no hurry.

Glad you're back on the Jeep.:beer:

I had a bunch of BS side jobs come in this weekend that kept me busy, but I made a little progress.

Drew up a top cap for the center console, and had a buddy cut it out of 1/16" mild steel. Cleaned it up and brazed it on with silicon bronze. The silicon bronze goes way faster and uses way less heat.

JLtQBaokB--nmFW0w-r9QY=w2200-h1238-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Z1IaodnnETQ-pd_rfr4vTQ=w2200-h1238-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Started mocking up steering stops. I am using 5/8-18 coupling nuts tacked to the knuckle. I will make a little wedge shaped piece that will get welded to the inner C. This will be somewhat adjustable, and can fine tune the wedge angle with a grinder if needed.

ej5Jx7R9rfCzs8Oi7fBSkqQ=w728-h1295-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Uk9qaXy2bMrkyyM9d-UFV64=w728-h1295-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Welded on some strap hooks on the front. This will make strapping down EZPZ.

_NtJk2OIgGl7ZnFw-8UwqcI=w728-h1295-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

I also painted the trailing arms. I used an zinc-phosphate etching primer, then I tried out a product called Seymour 316LL stainless steel paint. Trying to match the steel-it finish without spending 40 bucks a can. Got some weird results, not sure if I didn't shake the can enough, or am just a herpaderp.

9WO_xvD8m3U8P6i43hGFlFQ=w728-h1295-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

BMBE-n_XhBXnuXQpwTTQH6o=w728-h1295-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

DOWNHILL WELDING !!!! AHMAGAD IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE.

Just kidding. Keep putting out the good stuff.

DOWNHILL WELDING !!!! AHMAGAD IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE.

Just kidding. Keep putting out the good stuff.

I assume you're talking about the tie down brackets? Yeah, I don't care, lol. They are double passed and I had the pedal mashed on the second pass. If they give up the ghost, I have bigger issues to tend to.

I know you upgraded the pinch bolt on the lower links but I couldn't find that conversation to see if there were "how to prevent needing that from the get go" suggestions. I have been doing a ton of suspension design research and came across some pinch bolt bung best practices and thought of this thread.

According to my research, for a lower link, or similar rotational action joints, the double pinch bolt style is best. The single pinch bolts should only be used for something that doesn't rotate around the same axis as the threads, like an upper A arm.
The other thing is when welding the bungs in, the plate work needs to stay far enough away from the pinch slot to not reinforce it so much that it's too hard to pinch.
Here's an example of how far away from the pinch they are staying
Screenshot_20230316_172916_YouTube.jpg

All this from JEHC.
Could you provide the link to JEHC, cheers Thank you

Any Progress over the holidays?
Not on the jeep unfortunetly.

A month or so ago I smoked a deer with my shit box. REALLY didn't want to buy a new car, so I bought a parts car and spent way too long getting it back up and running. I parted the other car out and came out about even all said and done. Man I hate that type of work on a rust bucket. So many snapped bolts.....

I was sick of the cloudy headlights that had been on my car for years, replaced both housings, then hit the f'in deer less than a week later.

aFadnop0Jt1E_7AVShtE=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

ebTZsf0RhYC-FCQXwQc=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Ended up finding the clone to my car at a local auction with rear end damage.

hQaow2jfLeWOFowztKk=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

8_6V1kPBiWzqUk-GGHU=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I worked on getting my shop cleaned up after that whole debacle, and should hopefully have some progress soon. It really needs to be finished this year.

A nice Goat Built bumper on the shit box would have made short work of the deer. :flipoff2: Maybe add little attachments that can strip off the back straps for you.

Does suck when a ride gets fucked up.

A nice Goat Built bumper on the shit box would have made short work of the deer. :flipoff2: Maybe add little attachments that can strip off the back straps for you.

Does suck when a ride gets fucked up.
It was a nice 8 point buck. I circled back to check if I was leaking fluids, she was still driveable and not leaking. There was debris in the road and a buck in the ditch. I was 1.5 miles from my parents house, so I buzzed over there and dropped the car off and grabbed a broom, a knife, and a sawzall. Got back to the crash site and the damn deer was gone. I must have knocked it out and it crawled into a swamp. I was PISSED!

Didn't picture you as a Pontiac Vibe kind of guy. :lmao:

Hopefully the deer lost that battle
I am "cheap POS daily that can rust out without me getting butthurt" kinda guy. I have a love/hate relationship with that car, it is an econobox that loves to take the abuse I throw at it. The toyota drivetrain has been pretty dang reliable. One starter and one trans in 260k miles. At 160k miles I swapped in a close ratio six speed from a Corolla XRS, so towing is somewhat managable with the big 1.8l. Hahaha.

The deer won. Gosh dang it.

with the money going into the jeep, i pictured him as the cheapest possible car kind of guy.

i bet it was a hand me down from a grandparent
BINGO. I paid 3k for it 9 years ago from when my Dad decided to upgrade. 260k miles and still pulling 31 MPG!

I drive a shit box so I spend my money on things that make me happy. Shit, I have about the same amount of cash tied up into the trailer as I do the car. LOL.

NmiLwR3wVC7KhAomYUQ=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

She also identifies as a 3/4 ton truck. I picked up a bridgeport mill and loaded all the tooling in the back of the vibe. Turns out coil bind happens around 1750 lbs. It was an interesting 35 miles... hahaha.

cod7ikpT91EKve7bYD8=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

nsV120WIIqXhNlAk1MU=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

_ts9k9FpFHtyIJPMQ9Os=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

It was a nice 8 point buck. I circled back to check if I was leaking fluids, she was still driveable and not leaking. There was debris in the road and a buck in the ditch. I was 1.5 miles from my parents house, so I buzzed over there and dropped the car off and grabbed a broom, a knife, and a sawzall. Got back to the crash site and the damn deer was gone. I must have knocked it out and it crawled into a swamp. I was PISSED!

I am "cheap POS daily that can rust out without me getting butthurt" kinda guy. I have a love/hate relationship with that car, it is an econobox that loves to take the abuse I throw at it. The toyota drivetrain has been pretty dang reliable. One starter and one trans in 260k miles. At 160k miles I swapped in a close ratio six speed from a Corolla XRS, so towing is somewhat managable with the big 1.8l. Hahaha.

The deer won. Gosh dang it.

She also identifies as a 3/4 ton truck. I picked up a bridgeport mill and loaded all the tooling in the back of the vibe. Turns out coil bind happens around 1750 lbs. It was an interesting 35 miles... hahaha.

cod7ikpT91EKve7bYD8=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

nsV120WIIqXhNlAk1MU=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

_ts9k9FpFHtyIJPMQ9Os=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Coil bind just means you can keep loading shit in it and it wont ride any worse.:flipoff2:

what WB is your LJ? Looking at yours for ideas. I'm going for 7 up and 7 down in my suspension.

LIttle shop update:

Got the DD finished and the shop cleaned up, got the drill press project I was working on finished and operational, picked up a welder (Miller XMT 304 CC/CV) and gave the shop a good cleaning. I whipped up a few little axle stands, and got the axles up on the table ready to finish the steering stops. Then I can strip them down and get them blasted and painted.

I am hoping to make decent progress here on out. I know, I have said that before, but this time I mean it. Hahah.

Drill press before:
6akCCrOWddk2zmw3_N4E=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

And after. I had to re-motor the whole thing and do a bunch of BS to get it to work, but it works real nice now. I wired it to a foot switch, I didn't know if I would like it, but so far I love it.

uEOnW6WXDShu7MqNKzjk=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

cwFm2snE_UNUHzrBTnZQ=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Axle stands for the table:

4lsONWlauGQTtU2O8DHI=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I used a little carbide deburr/chamfer tool. I think they turned out pretty nice.
aTWHZafiHgScGLJPEin8=w719-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

-GAxgNPrZNtEuOIRuyM=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

And the jeep is finally out of the corner of the shop and ready for some attention.

0wrNQvX0OzO1igHI5Lo=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Top Back Refresh