What's new

A wolf in Jeeps clothing - Goatbuilt 1200 LJ/TJ Chassis build

How fast do you plan on hitting those speed bumps at the mall? :eek:
WFO.

Mechanical sympathy?

1708969706019.png

I can't wait to post pics of this thing airborne, just sending it.... Hopefully not rolled over looking like an idiot.
BTDT ... do not recommend.

if you dont want black axles, pick a shade of grey that you like and go with that.

not sure id go powder coat given your location

Was just checking out the Steelit site and noticed it said this...

"Weldable! – No need to grind off the coating when repairs or add-ons are required"

Has anyone tried this?

Was just checking out the Steelit site and noticed it said this...

Has anyone tried this?
I haven't personally, but my background in non destructive testing and weld inspection would lead me to believe it is possible in a worst case scenario. I don't believe the weld quality will ever be as clean as with prepped material. I should try a little test piece.

I did get approval to set up a temporary spray booth, that has me really considering steel it.

i think the main reason is touch up. its been said before. you will out cutting donuts and jump a speed bump at speed in the mall parking lot, bottom out the suspension and all your ducks will fall off the dash and the next thing you know you are parked on top of a mazda Miata and your axle is all scratched up from the hood......

so powder will be hard to touch up. lol:beer::beer:

If I'm not mistaken and I very well may be, but isn't power coating slightly flexible after it's cooked on?

I've seen power coating peel off before and it certainly wasn't rigid and didn't snap off in pieces. Could have been a shitty coating job, who knows.

But something with a little flex in it has the potential to hide cracks starting to form where a paint will crack right along with the metal.

Something to consider.

In my opinion, the main reason to powder coat things is that it's relatively cheap and easy to have someone do it for you.

Steel-it or Rustoleum is cheaper, but takes a lot of time to do it right.

Both depend on the quality of prep/application/materials.

Neither will last when you smash it into a rock, and the DIY coating will be easier to touch up/recoat.

You guys make a lot of valid points. I was pretty set on powdercoating because it was fast and easy. Drop it off to get blasted and coated, pick it up, and assemble. I am thinking I might just use steel it at this point. I have a space I can spray them and let them sit for a while and cure, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I plan on powder coating my chassis and axles satin black. Steel it or VHT chassis paint will match it good enough.

You guys just using rattle can versions of Steel It for application or using actual spray guns?

On friday I had an appointment with the sandblaster, that meant getting the housings and parts prepped and ready for blast/painting.

After pulling them apart and all the parts bagged, I started pluggin holes and making block off plates.

Rear bearing cups

6BGSjRI0Ib-8AnVNV3x6=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

These are for the oil fill caps. I added a few layers of gorilla tape to the sealing surface in hopes of keeping the majority of blast media and paint from getting in the housing. I also used the same parts to seal the axle tubes on the front.

JcPMZZrr7oicTjo8E6jV=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

0sSxHKXU5G58ijxQxTx-8=w562-h999-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Picked up some aluminum 9 inch face plates from speedway. They were cheap enough I didn't feel like dinking with it.

_6PpPH5qcyzSZBXNalhc=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

The hole masking, plugging, and prepping took way longer than I expected, but it was done and ready for sanding. With most of the parts being machined or laser cut, there were a lot of sharp edges and a few burrs that I wanted to address before painting. I ended up taking my little belt sander and hitting all the edges. I used the section of the belt between the contact wheel and the platten to create a somewhat rounded profile instead of a chamfer. It worked pretty well and I think will pay off in the long run.

aiKvOK6di8VOOCTug09Y=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Took everything to the blaster in the rain...

GH-ljLofIavs0QxdzeoA-=w562-h999-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I sweet talked my boss into letting me use the mezzanine in the end unit of the building to set up a little paint shop. I had a few sumner stands that I have used thoughout my build. The sliding tube of the jack is 1.75 x .095, and limited the height to 49". I ordered two sticks of 1.75" x .095 HREW and cut them in 5' sections to increase the height.

h6TPTv_DKjJ_pouCkjv1=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

a67Zr6O1vwOpGOU3pwRp=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

64mvoG2_VqsP8AO7ZzIT=w1773-h997-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

I ended up deciding to use Steel-it on the axles and related parts. I went to order some from wild powersports on their website, and noticed they had a new color, charcoal. It was unavailable, but I was intrigued and thought it would be a great color option. I called them and talked to John, and inquired about the charcoal, he told me it was unavailable due to not being offically released by Steel-It. I asked him when it would be available, because I wanted to paint my axles, and could potentially wait a few weeks (I called before I set up and appointment at the blaster). He asked about the project and what it was all about, I told him and emailed him a few pictures of the build. He said he would call steel it and see if I could get a case. The next day he calls me and says I have to email and verbally state that I will not post pictures online or any social media, but he would sell me the first cans of charcoal available to the public. I thought that was pretty neat.

Once everthing was prepped and ready for paint, I went to the local ace hardware/JC licht and bought some shop supplies I needed and asked the paint shop if they could shake aerosol spray cans. They said they never have, but if I wanted to, they would try. I gave them the whole case of paint, and they loaded it in the shaker. 5 minutes later, I felt it was properly mixed.

ZbnfyRWkLE1dWoEL0rMtL=w562-h999-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

Friday night I got them all sprayed and wasn't super thrilled with the results. Once it started to cure and tack up, it totally transformed into a very matte, very attractive charcoal gray. I will hopefully be able to post pics soon.

Top Back Refresh