What's new

66 Mustang GT Restoration

Busted ass today because I needed my lift. Got the front suspension and steering (with exception of pitman arm) installed.

IMG_3114.jpeg
IMG_3115.jpeg
IMG_3117.jpeg
IMG_3116.jpeg

Had my DD in the lift this past week while I put timing chains and other needed wear items. Got it out last night. Back to the Mustang. We tore the engine down this evening. Other than being extremely carbon fouled and the old oil sludge in the pan, it looks pretty good. Cam, lifter, and crank surfaces all look good.
IMG_3240.jpeg
IMG_3241.jpeg
IMG_3242.jpeg

Have to send proportioning valve off to have it sleeved due to pitting in the bore. Nobody makes these Kelsey Hayes style valves so have to rebuild the original.
IMG_3352.jpeg

Been quite the clusterfuck lately. My DD blew up right after I installed about $5k worth of new parts. Wife decided she was getting a new car and I was taking over hers… So after car shopping with a woman for a week, we bought her a new ride, I reorganized the garage, she’s happy, etc. back to the Mustang. Nobody cried so I guess we did ok.

Adjusted the window, quarter window, and vent window into the new weatherstripping. Installed dynamat, deluxe door panels, and courtesy light only to them find out the remote door latch assembly (the thingy the interior door handle attaches to) is different for deluxe vs standard so I have to take it all back apart to replace that $15 assembly.

IMG_3478.jpeg
IMG_3477.jpeg
IMG_3480.jpeg
IMG_3479.jpeg

I'm enjoying watching your project. I drove a '65 289 4-speed back in college. It knew its way back to the dorm from the bars downtown. I straightened the right front fender wrinkle, slapped on some slotted mags, and painted it gun-metal gray with a black spray-on fake vinyl top because I had no taste. I always thought later it would have been a great restoration project. :beer:

I'm enjoying watching your project. I drove a '65 289 4-speed back in college. It knew its way back to the dorm from the bars downtown. I straightened the right front fender wrinkle, slapped on some slotted mags, and painted it gun-metal gray with a black spray-on fake vinyl top because I had no taste. I always thought later it would have been a great restoration project. :beer:
My first car was an 88 GT (charcoal gray on top/silver on bottom). I sold it in high school and bought a 2 yr old 95 GT that I kept through most of college. Been trying to talk the wife into a 93 Cobra as an investment. So weird thinking of Foxbodies as classics now…

Hope to pick block and heads up from machine shop this week. Bored 0.010”, new bearings, etc. With new pistons and heads should be about 10:1 comp. Comp Xtreme energy 218/224 cam, PRW roller rockers, Cloyes timing chain, new pushrods, etc. Everything else is sandblasted and in primer. Should be peppy and expect 250-275 hp.

IMG_3617.jpeg

My wife is a patient, wonderful woman… Hopefully this order encompasses everything I need to put motor in car concours.
IMG_3692.png
IMG_3693.png
IMG_3694.png

Top Back Refresh