What's new

66 Mustang GT Restoration

Today I restored the driver door window regulator, door latch, new felt in window tracks, and replaced all the rubber and polished the vent window assembly.

IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg

Info on what you used to polish the glass if you could Sir? I'm looking into it, I can't find door glass for the life of me so I'm thinking of trying to polish it up.

Info on what you used to polish the glass if you could Sir? I'm looking into it, I can't find door glass for the life of me so I'm thinking of trying to polish it up.
I bought the Eastwood kit. It’s basically a powder you add water to and a polishing pad/drill attachment. It won’t take out “deep” scratches but def makes a diff on hazy glass. I mixed it according to instructions and kept a spray bottle of water to keep it wet while I polished.

If you zoom in, you will notice some horizontal scratches in the glass at the very bottom that I couldn’t get out

Yeah our door glass is pretty beat. IIRC it has that haze from purple power reacting in the heat at full strength. If i can get a little something back id be happy. I never worried about it because i was under the impression that the NYC glass shops would still be doing it. :shaking: All they care about now is how fast they can put a honda door glass in.

Yeah our door glass is pretty beat. IIRC it has that haze from purple power reacting in the heat at full strength. If i can get a little something back id be happy. I never worried about it because i was under the impression that the NYC glass shops would still be doing it. :shaking: All they care about now is how fast they can put a honda door glass in.
Understand completely. I’ve been trying for 3 years to find someone who will install the chrome trim around my grand Wagoneer windshield

Couldn’t bring myself to pay $900 for a reproduction AM radio. Retrosound AM/FM with all the bells and whistles installed. Seems like a waste since it only has two 4” speakers mounted in the center of the dash by the defroster. Meh

IMG_2974.jpeg

How deep is that unit? Same as a normal single din radio?

I've got a 70 K5 I'm working on that I shoved a lot more stuff behind the dash. Was looking at those and don't know if I have the clearance for it.

I've got a 70 K5 I'm working on that I shoved a lot more stuff behind the dash. Was looking at those and don't know if I have the clearance for it.
Unit is actually pretty small. It’s really ingenious actually. It seems the main unit is designed so multiple faceplates attach to it depending on what it’s going into. It had some 90 deg brackets that bolted onto the side for the knobs and they plugged into each side with what looked like old school phone jacks. I will take some measurements for you tomorrow.

Actually found dims online.
IMG_2975.jpeg

Cool build and very cool family project

So this new radio has Bluetooth and satellite radio built in?
Yep. Has a shit ton of plugs in the rear for use with amps, subs, 2 usb plugs, etc. that’s why I said it seems almost like a waste that I’m using it for 2 little central dash speakers.

What engine code is it? Kind of an interesting combo being a 4 speed GT in a coupe.

My father has a 66 fastback C-code 4 speed car that is getting close to finished with paint (which has been a huge saga), and I'll probably help him put it back together since I helped him take it all apart. He also has a '69 Mach 1 in Black Jade as well that he has had restored forever. It is an M-code FMX car though similar to yours.

What engine code is it? Kind of an interesting combo being a 4 speed GT in a coupe.

My father has a 66 fastback C-code 4 speed car that is getting close to finished with paint (which has been a huge saga), and I'll probably help him put it back together since I helped him take it all apart. He also has a '69 Mach 1 in Black Jade as well that he has had restored forever. It is an M-code FMX car though similar to yours.
It’s a A code. My entire life I heard from my father that he thought it was a hi-po. First thing I did when we went to go look at it after Mike passed was check the VIN. “Well you lyin bastard…”

Wish it was a fastback. That’s hands down my favorite. Dad recently stopped in and showed pics of the car to Mike’s family. His mother is 95 years old (and doesn’t quite comprehend we are restoring HER sons car). He had 3 cousins close in age and like the rest of them, they all have their cars from back then too. Each one has a first gen thunderbird (55, 56, and 57 respectively). The youngest has his 65 fastback (got in high school), a 66 GT convertible, and 66 390 Fairlane convertible. All immaculately restored just like his 57 T bird.

Edit: A code.

New dash and firewall bits. Only thing not original that we are doing is going back with Deluxe interior vs Standard. Old man has always loved the Deluxe so wood grain it is. I restored the cluster by cleaning and painting all the gauges and swapped bezel over to wood grain. All new e-brake cables and speedo cable. Waiting on new gauge bulbs…
IMG_3040.jpeg
IMG_3042.jpeg
IMG_3041.jpeg

SS brake and fuel lines installed. Pops temporarily installed the rear bumper and it looks great. We have NOS front and rear bumpers but the chrome is t perfect after being on shelf for 50+ years. I may sell these and buy new ones…

IMG_3093.jpeg
IMG_3094.jpeg

I had to get a repro front bumper for my 68. Didn't fit for shit. Found an OE one and had it rechromed. So much better.

I had to get a repro front bumper for my 68. Didn't fit for shit. Found an OE one and had it rechromed. So much better.
Good to know. So I need to find a chrome plating biz locally then. Thank you!

If you don't rechrome the bumpers and want to move them. Let me know. I know a true og stang banger in north Georgia who would put them to great use.

Top Back Refresh