What's new

66 Mustang GT Restoration

Repainted console and installed carpet on kick panels
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg

Man I am so looking forward to seeing this on the road. It looks kickass thus far! :beer:
I am trying my hardest to build it exactly as the factory would have. I am doing everything according to the original factory assembly manual and drawings. It is so much harder trying to duplicate original than it is customizing…

I am trying my hardest to build it exactly as the factory would have. I am doing everything according to the original factory assembly manual and drawings. It is so much harder trying to duplicate original than it is customizing…
That Part! Custom is easy peasy. OG restos are definitely harder.

Your Car is coming out top notch! Keep at it Brother:beer:

IMG_3937.jpeg

Apparently they hog ringed a VIN tag under the rear seat cover
IMG_3938.jpeg

I bought all new cotton batten and burlap but decided to keep original burlap because I am not about to install all the small wires that run through it. Rattle canned the springs and frame
IMG_3941.jpeg

Yesterday sucked. Today was awesome. Got our 428 home today. Dropped the pan and it turned out to be a real deal Cobra Jet reinforced block. Cannot begin to express the excitement of that discovery! Also got a set of 68 Cobra Jet heads with it.
IMG_3972.jpeg
IMG_3974.jpeg
IMG_3975.jpeg

Heard your dad say something about a knock, once you check all the usual suspects, make sure the oil pump pickup isn't vibrating/knocking on the bottom of the oil pan... Backstory below:

Had a little 383 built for a mud truck back in the day, and on first fire up and cam break in it sounded like it had a bottom end knock... like bad... but it had 80 psi cold and over 50 hot.... ended up findin out the bottom of the stamped pan got pushed up ever so slightly and the pickup was able to hit it and sound like a bad bottom end knock. Talks about relief seeing the witness marks in the bottom of the pan and on the pickup screen... :eek:

Awesome project, super jealous of you getting to work with your pops!

Best of luck with the last 15% that seem to take 85% of the time. :beer:

Heard your dad say something about a knock, once you check all the usual suspects, make sure the oil pump pickup isn't vibrating/knocking on the bottom of the oil pan... Backstory below:

Had a little 383 built for a mud truck back in the day, and on first fire up and cam break in it sounded like it had a bottom end knock... like bad... but it had 80 psi cold and over 50 hot.... ended up findin out the bottom of the stamped pan got pushed up ever so slightly and the pickup was able to hit it and sound like a bad bottom end knock. Talks about relief seeing the witness marks in the bottom of the pan and on the pickup screen... :eek:

Awesome project, super jealous of you getting to work with your pops!

Best of luck with the last 15% that seem to take 85% of the time. :beer:
It feels like it’s missing to me. Didn’t run it for long as none of the gauges are working. I have it narrowed down to ignition switch or constant voltage regulator on back of cluster for gauge issue. Once I verify oil pressure, I plan to track down source of miss/knock. It almost seems like the knock is related to the whole damn thing shaking. Hard to tell at this point…

Top Back Refresh