What's new

66 Mustang GT Restoration

Fixed the knock. Rocker stud was up against the pcv valve baffle on valve cover. 60 lbs of oil pressure at idle. Carb still needs tuning as it is running rich.

On a different note I got to see two 69 Shelby GT500’s, a 67 GT500, and a 427 side oiler Galaxie tucked away in a barn for 40+ years this weekend… oh to have the opportunity to buy one of those…

Fenders buffed and ready for emblems.
IMG_4171.jpeg
IMG_4172.jpeg

Front bumper, stripes, and lettering done. Tires will be here thurs, repro Autolite battery Monday, and bumper guards Tues. otherwise I have to troubleshoot no brake lights and it’s done

Looks great! I have the '66 Coupe my parents bought as their first brand new car tucked away in the back corner of my shop. I really need to start putting work in on it.

Mine is nearly identical to yours, but not a GT - 289, 3 on the floor, fog lights, vinyl top, and ivy green metallic with ivy gold and white pony interior and woodgrain trim. Like your father's friend, my father daily drove it into the mid-eighties. It sat in their garage for years and then got moved to mine.

Looking great man.

As far as next... build up that 428 Cobra Jet and put in something. :grinpimp:
That’s the plan. It is currently sitting in a homemade electrolysis tank. Though both my wife and my dad’s wife have threatened us with death if we immediately start back on our 69 Mach 1

Looks great! I have the '66 Coupe my parents bought as their first brand new car tucked away in the back corner of my shop. I really need to start putting work in on it.

Mine is nearly identical to yours, but not a GT - 289, 3 on the floor, fog lights, vinyl top, and ivy green metallic with ivy gold and white pony interior and woodgrain trim. Like your father's friend, my father daily drove it into the mid-eighties. It sat in their garage for years and then got moved to mine.
I have a TON of both new and used parts if and when you decide to work on it. New hardware, interior parts, etc.

Years ago my father did pick up a full set of OEM quarter panels from the dealer and CJ's Pony Parts is local, so I've acquired a few things over the years when I've been there and they had things on clearance that I could use. Unfortunately, I've been trying to find time just to work on the daily drivers in recent years.

I just found your thread, so I'll have to go through the whole thing. I'm sure I'll learn some things along the way.

Last edited:
Years ago my father did pick up a full set of OEM quarter panels from the dealer and CJ's Pony Parts is local, so I've acquired a few things over the years when I've been there and they had things on clearance that I could use. Unfortunately, I've been trying to find time just to work on the daily drivers in recent years.

I just found your thread, so I'll have to go through the whole thing. I'm sure I'll learn some things along the way.
Take a shit ton of pictures and buy a factory assembly manual with all the factory drawings.

Not much progress this week as our household was hit with the flu. Did manage to build a homemade electrolysis tank for the 428 and pretty pleased with the results. Was able to finally get it disassembled last night.
IMG_4329.jpeg
IMG_4330.jpeg

Sorry if this should be more obvious - what was in the tank? I see what looks like sacrificial anodes (plate, beam stock) but the tub looks too small for the short block.

BTW kinda jealous of the 428 find. My wife's coupe is a 302 2v/fmx car getting everything replaced and I thought I scored when I found a clean 351w block from the same year.

Sorry if this should be more obvious - what was in the tank? I see what looks like sacrificial anodes (plate, beam stock) but the tub looks too small for the short block.

BTW kinda jealous of the 428 find. My wife's coupe is a 302 2v/fmx car getting everything replaced and I thought I scored when I found a clean 351w block from the same year.
The 428 was in the tank. That’s my homemade electrolysis set up. After getting the pistons and crank out, I put it back in for a couple more days.
IMG_4343.jpeg

We have been looking for a 428 off and on for 10 years. Back in 13 we found one in an old salvage yard but could never come to terms with the owner. Fast forward 10 years and the old man passed away and my dad’s neighbor, who owns a large salvage yard, bought the inventory. Our 428 came in a 67 Thunderbird from that very place and it turned out to be the reinforced CJ block. I’ve used all my luck up on that one…

Edit: and was a different 428 from the one we initially found. Two 428’s in one little backwoods SC salvage yard…

Some pics from that old junkyard back in 2013:
IMG_1055.jpeg

First 428 we found had been swapped into a 61 Starliner and had an aluminum PI intake.
IMG_1059.jpeg
IMG_1058.jpeg
IMG_1310.jpeg
IMG_1314.jpeg

Thanks for clarifying on the tank. For some reason it seemed too small to hold a short block when I first looked.

What is your source for electricity on that setup? I had an old batt charger and washing soda in the water but it seemed to take forever on a drill press base I was trying to clean up.

Thanks for clarifying on the tank. For some reason it seemed too small to hold a short block when I first looked.

What is your source for electricity on that setup? I had an old batt charger and washing soda in the water but it seemed to take forever on a drill press base I was trying to clean up.
Old battery charger set on 2 amps. How much sacrificial metal did you have? This was my first time doing this so I’m no expert by any means. I stuffed as much metal in the tub that I could fit to give as much surface area as I could. I was getting bn 5-6V all around the block and left it for 4 days first time.

Pfft, you did great compared to me. I think I only had a toyota leaf spring u-bolt and a larger metal bracket with the base. I cleaned them both first but should have had more in there and been more patient. I wasn't measuring voltage at all. I need to read up a bit and try again with the new (manual) charger.

Love this project. I just found it and read the whole thing. Amazing attention to detail. :smokin: When you painted the underside of the body it had orange peel so you sanded it and did it again! I need to bring my 1970 chevy down there and let you work on it lol.
Only half kidding. I can stick weld and stuff, but rocker panels and stuff is kinda scary to me, but i guess I'm gonna have to figure it out, or pay you in beer and tacos and let you do it :flipoff2:

Love this project. I just found it and read the whole thing. Amazing attention to detail. :smokin: When you painted the underside of the body it had orange peel so you sanded it and did it again! I need to bring my 1970 chevy down there and let you work on it lol.
Only half kidding. I can stick weld and stuff, but rocker panels and stuff is kinda scary to me, but i guess I'm gonna have to figure it out, or pay you in beer and tacos and let you do it :flipoff2:
I do love beer… and tacos

Top Back Refresh