What's new

66 Mustang GT Restoration

The early mustangs are great looking cars a few lucky kids had some at my HS in the 90’s I couldn’t swing it so I did the fox body thing. Your car looks pretty clean for being a daily driver for 20 yrs there would be nothing left of it where I live.
Two kids had them at mine as well. I wanted my Uncle’s 65 when I was a kid but couldn’t afford it. I ended up with an 88 GT as my first. Which in the long run was probably much better anyways.

The early mustangs are great looking cars a few lucky kids had some at my HS in the 90’s I couldn’t swing it so I did the fox body thing. Your car looks pretty clean for being a daily driver for 20 yrs there would be nothing left of it where I live.
As for the car’s condition you are exactly right. This thing literally is in amazing condition given the fact it was DD’d in northern VA/WV in salt and snow. You had to know the owner and his family to understand. My dad likes to tell the story of telling Mike’s dad about how his car would use a qt of oil bn 2k-3k miles. Mr. Spiker’s response was “the. Why don’t you change the oil every 2k miles?” They were very particular and that is what saved this car.

Awesome project! I'm jealous of anyone that has the patience to do body work/panel replacement the right way.

Sidenote: I'm digging all old-school gas station memorabilia and signs you have around your shop. Cool stuff!

That is another stupidly expensive hobby. Probably more so than actually restoring cars. I have a dream of building a replica gas station in my shop one day...
My family business is full service gas stations and we've been doing it since 1955.

Our original location was a Standard Oil depot/gas station and we kept all the old signage and pumps. We still have old oil cans/drums, vintage oil can racks, cash registers, coke machines, etc.

I'm right there with you as far as that hobby goes too.

My family business is full service gas stations and we've been doing it since 1955.

Our original location was a Standard Oil depot/gas station and we kept all the old signage and pumps. We still have old oil cans/drums, vintage oil can racks, cash registers, coke machines, etc.

I'm right there with you as far as that hobby goes too.
Oh wow! That is awesome. I feel like I got into collecting 10 years too late. Now everybody is an American Pickers expert. My biggest problem is too many expensive hobbies. I have been looking for an Esso, Standard Oil, and 50's era Amoco (red and black one) signs. It's really hit or miss with the auctions around here.

Finished transmission today. Waiting on paint to dry before I wrap in plastic and place on shelf.

76D2F68C-2DB3-45F2-B806-97D70F051172.jpeg
FB24BC5B-FCD9-4A0F-929D-B612FA02A986.jpeg
A3078E4E-4EA2-4CEF-90C0-5B95A891249C.jpeg
DFB72BDF-DA5D-4C2A-92E3-002C37C403D8.jpeg

What was the issue with the transmission?

Killer build. :smokin: Wish my old man and I could semi build something together. I am considering having him help semi build a squarebody for my daughters 16th birthday. Nothing crazy. Just something she can cruise to school and back.

What was the issue with the transmission?

Killer build. :smokin: Wish my old man and I could semi build something together. I am considering having him help semi build a squarebody for my daughters 16th birthday. Nothing crazy. Just something she can cruise to school and back.
There was a circle clip that apparently got stretched a little too much that was holding 1st gear from sliding completely into place (It was supposed to fit into the bore of 1st gear).

We fight like absolute cats and dogs but that is just how we "love" each other. He is very much old school. His brother who was 21 years older than him ran a body shop from the 50's to the 80's. God forbid I try to show him a different or new way of doing something than his brother's way. We butt heads but he truly is my best friend on this earth. I am blessed in that regard.

I think y’all building a square body WITH your daughter would be an awesome idea! I’ve been obsessed with cars since I was a kid. That was what bonded my dad and I when I was a teen. Always wrenching on shit together. I also am a firm believer in if you get your kid hooked on cars they have no money or time to get into trouble.

Very cool build. Kinda regret selling my 65 gt. But hope to get another fox body eventually, something like the 85 gt I had just after high school...

Not much for updates as of late. Built a garden fence, garden boxes, chicken coop, and went to Moab. We did our final coat of high build primer and wet sanded today in prep for sealer and hopefully color tomorrow.

IMG_2221.jpeg
IMG_2222.jpeg
IMG_2223.jpeg

Bottom of hood and trunk lid, doors, and small parts sealed, painted, and clear coated. Doors have a shit ton of orange peel that I am going to have to sand out and buff but we are using a new paint gun and still learning it.

IMG_2243.jpeg
IMG_2244.jpeg
IMG_2245.jpeg
IMG_2246.jpeg
IMG_2247.jpeg

I'm jealous of you being able to do something cool with your dad. My dad did car stuff years ago, had it vandalized and just stopped, and hated anything car modification or restoration since. Then he turned into an asshole for other issues.

Really cool project. I like the way it's coming out!

I'm jealous of you being able to do something cool with your dad. My dad did car stuff years ago, had it vandalized and just stopped, and hated anything car modification or restoration since. Then he turned into an asshole for other issues.

Really cool project. I like the way it's coming out!
I truly am blessed. He is my best friend. We literally do everything together.

As a guy who has never had a relationship with his father, thanks for sharing yours.
My family never had anything but each other during my parents and previous generations. I grew up in a disfunctional divorced household like many others but was raised by my father and taught that family is everything. I am blessed in that regard.

Top Back Refresh