What's new

2020 gardens

Cucumbers are almost gone! Not sure what is killing them, I have added microbes, fertilizer, let the water set out overnight to evaporate the chlorine... and I only have one still strugling along. We have been getting showers every evening less than an inch but mom lone squash has really taken off, as has our one cantalope, one of the 3 okra has 2 more pods on it, bell peppers are just there, not growing, nor dieing, tomato still only has 3 tomatoes on it, corn has gotten any biggger nor have the pole beans. All in all it has not been a very good experiance container gardening.

Garden is getting into full steam. Picked a 5 gallon pail of cucumbers that will get pickled tonite.

1DF2D503-39F2-4C88-B8C7-D7B0AB138B6A.jpeg

Beans have just started only got a gallon of them. Its gonna get busy in the next couple weeks putting it all up so we can enjoy it all year. My wife made a batch of raspberry jam this morning.

image.jpg

Cucumbers are almost gone! Not sure what is killing them, I have added microbes, fertilizer, let the water set out overnight to evaporate the chlorine... and I only have one still strugling along. We have been getting showers every evening less than an inch but mom lone squash has really taken off, as has our one cantalope, one of the 3 okra has 2 more pods on it, bell peppers are just there, not growing, nor dieing, tomato still only has 3 tomatoes on it, corn has gotten any biggger nor have the pole beans. All in all it has not been a very good experiance container gardening.

Have you checked the ph of the soil?

I had broccoli growing in a bed and topping 2 feet tall but not producing. There was also a cucumber plant on the end that was idle for a couple weeks now. It wasn't worth keeping those plants so I yanked them to find they are rooty bitches. The entire 8 foot bed was a tangled mess of roots so I emptied it and going to move it to a sunnier spot with fresh soil and some compost. We are sowing some cukes, zukes, and more broccoli downstairs which are good to plant at this time.

photo15955.jpg

Tomato worm are attacking my plants, found about 15 in the past week.

Weird thing happened recently since you posted that. Two of my plants suddenly wilted and died so I did some researching. Looks like cucumber beetles are attacking. I saw these bugs in the flowers of the zucchini and thought they were pollinating and turns out they are cucumber beetles and most likely the suspected murderers. One of the zuke plants died as well.

Time for war.

Diabrotica_undecimpunctata_howardi_and_D._barberi_and_D._virgifera_virgifera.jpg

how do you do your pickles, refrigerator or hot canned for long term storage?

We hot can them. They last forever when do this way. 2-3 years old and they still taste great. That is as long as you keep them in a cool dark place.

Some bugs are eating the hell out of my zucchini and eggplants, I need to look for those things.

On the subject of bugs in gardens, would putting a chicken coop next to the garden and letting the birds roam the fenced off garden be good for getting rid of bugs, or would those feathered egg shitters peck at the veggies too?

I heard luring birds with birdhouses tends to help. Neem oil is good at keeping bugs off.

Today I cleared a few raised beds for round 2 crops. They had broccoli, green and red leaf, lettuce, and some shit that were no longer producing. Refreshed the soil and planted more beans, snap peas, green leaf, romaine, lettuce, broccoli, zuke, and a few others. This should get us a good harvest before fall.

I also went around the other beds and eliminated plants that were not thriving and replaced them with plants I been sowing.

So what do you guys think of radishes and size? I got some at the farmer's market and they were big, I was a little hesitant. They turned out to be pretty much tasteless. Is there a maximum size you should buy them? I got farmer's market radishes b/c I wanted a strong radish taste. They were a nice older couple in a podunk town, you'd think they wouldn't be hothouse radishes if there is such a thing.

I think it depends on the variety more than anything. I like growing the french breakfast radishes because they're fast growing and have good flavor. Usually when I let radishes get too big they get a bit spongy.

Yeah they were spongy too, not nice and hard, I was suspect.

Welp never again will I buy big radishes. I just wanted a salad with strong radish in it.

Wonder of wonder out checking the back 40 this morning and found this, two little bell peppers! Also noticed the watermelon is flowering as is the cantalope (I may need to transplant it). Mom and I were talking and decided we just were to anxiouse, part of which was brought on by watching you guys already picking crops before we could even plant anything. Corn is starting to tassle, Cucumber just is, summer squash has started putting on lots of fruit and we have had three okra pods :laughing:.

IMG_20200802_091818.jpg

IMG_20200802_091904.jpg

His year to say the least has been a learning experince

If anyone wants a good cheap mulch for the gardens then get a bale or two of hay and mow it with a bagger. It covers a lot of square footage.

20200729_190239.jpg

The bell pepper plants have really started to produce, counted 5 on the two plants this morning, more of the corn is tasseling, pole beans are just growing the, cucumber just exists, as does the chilli and green bell pepper. The okra has stopped producing after three pods.

If anyone wants a good cheap mulch for the gardens then get a bale or two of hay and mow it with a bagger. It covers a lot of square footage.

Be careful using hay, if it has had herbicide sprayed on it, it could affect your garden

The bell pepper plants have really started to produce

Ours are loaded. One was tipped over yesterday, too heavy. I propped it up with a seed marker stick (I made myself). Last year branches broke off. Anyone have a good idea how to support these things?

Be careful using hay, if it has had herbicide sprayed on it, it could affect your garden

Yeah I read about that earlier in the season. The hay I have seems to be fine and not affecting any of the crops. It does sprout some grass here and there though.

first go at a garden. ate corn last night, they were tiny and the wife said some had mold. ate green beans last week and some were no ripe, the other ones were good.
- how do you know when green beans are ready?
- corn was planted too tight, so i suspect that is why they were small. also the wife is aggressive with watering and exposed the roots.
- planning on an automated drip system next year
- melons take up a TON of room, as do pumpkins which are other side of the fence in rubbermaid containers
- the only thing we could get to grow from a seed was green beans and two corns
- we planted an entire packet of corn and carrots, so that was disappointing, will do starter plants next year

we have 6 green beans, 2 bell pepper and the carrots in one, corn and more carrots in the other, one watermelon and one cantaloupe in the last one.

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

first go at a garden. ate corn last night, they were tiny and the wife said some had mold. ate green beans last week and some were no ripe, the other ones were good.
- how do you know when green beans are ready?
- corn was planted too tight, so i suspect that is why they were small. also the wife is aggressive with watering and exposed the roots.
- planning on an automated drip system next year
- melons take up a TON of room, as do pumpkins which are other side of the fence in rubbermaid containers
- the only thing we could get to grow from a seed was green beans and two corns
- we planted an entire packet of corn and carrots, so that was disappointing, will do starter plants next year

we have 6 green beans, 2 bell pepper and the carrots in one, corn and more carrots in the other, one watermelon and one cantaloupe in the last one.

I wait till my green beans are about 4 to 6 inches long or shorter but chubby. You should be able to feel the beans inside of them.

Look into Mel's Mix if you have hard time growing from seed. I use that to sow seeds now and it never fails. I also use it in the beds and the speed of growth is insane.

These two beds are Mel's Mix and almost one week later.

20200804_132347.jpg

20200804_132439.jpg

I wait till my green beans are about 4 to 6 inches long or shorter but chubby. You should be able to feel the beans inside of them.

Look into Mel's Mix if you have hard time growing from seed. I use that to sow seeds now and it never fails. I also use it in the beds and the speed of growth is insane.

These two beds are Mel's Mix and almost one week later.

does the fuzziness of the bean any indication of them being ready? i notice the onces at the store and they ones we ate that tasted good didnt have any fuzz on them.

ill look into the mels mix for next year. whats the deal with the hay?

does the fuzziness of the bean any indication of them being ready? i notice the onces at the store and they ones we ate that tasted good didnt have any fuzz on them.

ill look into the mels mix for next year. whats the deal with the hay?

Mine are always fuzzy.

Hay is mulch. It lessens evaporation so less watering. It also prevents soil from splashing up on leaves which causes diseases.

Top Back Refresh