What's new

2020 gardens

I have tomatoes and peppers in a grow tent in the basement. All growing Hydroponically, no pictures as there are several other plants I'd rather not post on an open forum.

Tomatoes (cherry, Roma, San marz, beef steak) zukes, squash, jalapeños, bell peppers and another kind of sweet pepper. Lots of herbs in planters on the patio as well. Everything going gangbusters with the amount of rain and not-unbearable heat.

87C00A13-FD39-497D-8096-CFE706BEDBA9.jpeg

Terraced beds for strawberries

strawberry.JPG

Raised Beds - all drip irrigated and gravity fed from a rain barrel

raisedbeds.JPG

First attempt at a garden. 35x85 feet. Deer netting and electric fence. No power over there so a made a ram pump feeding 400 gallons of storage feeding 400' of drip hose. Also have a 12V pump with a pressure tank for the sprinklers.

Planted starts and seeds two weeks ago. All seem to be doing well.

garden1.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	garden1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	187.8 KB ID:	18543

garden2.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	garden2.jpg Views:	3 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	18544

garden3.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	garden3.jpg Views:	3 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	18545

solar.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	solar.jpg Views:	3 Size:	176.5 KB ID:	18546

Last edited:
First attempt at a garden. 35x85 feet. Deer netting and electric fence. No power over there so a made a ram pump feeding 400 gallons of storage feeding 400' of drip hose. Also have a 12V pump with a pressure tank for the sprinklers.

Planted starts and seeds two weeks ago. All seem to be doing well.

Thats oone hell of a "first attampt" you fucking show off!

:flipoff2:

No garden for me this year, My new German Shepherd dog decided to dig up 400$ of drip system I installed last year.

Thats oone hell of a "first attampt" you fucking show off!

:flipoff2:

No garden for me this year, My new German Shepherd dog decided to dig up 400$ of drip system I installed last year.

Go big or go home.
Ate our first salad out of it last night!

My first garden, but the wife grew up with one. Kale, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, zucchini. Started from seeds and our tomatoes are 1/3 the size of everyone else’s now :lmao:

Edit: and some herbs up front. Basil, chamomile, thyme, and spearmint.

photo4690.jpg

The last of our greenhouse parts arrived this week. Got it finished up today. Just waiting on the auto openers for each vent window now. Lotta work, I'm beat.

IMG_20200531_184111.jpg

IMG_20200531_184153.jpg

We are 95% in the ground now. The last 5% are the triplicates that I am looking for space for.

15 tomato plants, (cherry, ground cherry, roma, early girls, beef stakes, and a few others), 20-30? Bush beans, 100+ onions, 50+ garlic, 5 sugar pumpkins, 5 howden pumpkins, lots of cucumbers and zucchini, butternut and spaghetti squashes a plenty. Sacks of potatoes and potatoes in ground (reds, golds, purples, russets). 30 ish corn plants. 3 water melon plants (first time try with those). Lots of herbs on the deck. About 75 strawberries in the garden and about 75 on the deck. The fruit trees probably wont fruit this year. Still to young but next year should be good. 5 blueberry plants. Jerusalem artichokes. Lots of shit I cant remember as well. We went full retard this year.

Tons of black berries, raspberries, salmon berries, black raspberries are fucking weeds.

edit: Weather has been crazy. 106 late last week and .8” of rain in 45 minutes Saturday

I will try and take some pics soon. This pic is about a week old. Cold spring made us get a late start.

77FFC4D1-97CF-4BCF-986A-EED174BB6646.jpeg

Last edited:
The garden and fruit tree orchard are my wifes babies.. but here are some pics.. I dont know everything she has going on, but we have cilantro, corn, watermelons, asparagus, dill, snap peas, tomatoes, kale, beets and some other stuff...

20200531_120044.jpg
20200531_120032.jpg
20200531_120022.jpg
20200531_120010.jpg

20200531_120035.jpg

Built a raised bed out of an old spool from work for the woman for mothers day, I've since built a second one.
IMG_5361.jpg
IMG_5354.jpg

Built a raised bed out of an old spool from work for the woman for mothers day, I've since built a second one.

Now those are neat! :D
We have been transplanting, I have been using Walmart bags put 4 corn and 4 pole beans in each then set 5 bags in a kiddy pool and fill with about 2 inches of water, working on the float self watering next, that way when we leave for a couple of days everything stays watered. Also bought some earth box juniors I have 2 of them with 7 cucmber plants. Mom has been using conventional pots for tomatoes,chilies and squash

Learned something new this past week. I Had been experiencing slow growth compared to last year. During one week it rained 3 days and the plants had a growth spurt. Made me think what I am doing wrong in the watering aspect.

It hit me when I was in the basement: water softener. A little googling says soft water is bad for plants. I been bypassing the softener the past few days and plants are now growing.

F9E29A29-6648-4250-A01D-0660A5FA77E1.jpeg

I got everythin g in the ground. Had a bunch extra tomato starts that needed a home so I planted the rest in pickle buckets. Spent the time last night hooking up a automatic water valve. I have one zone that runs the sprinkler that will get the big garden. Then 2 zones of drip line to water my planter and the pickle buckets. Last year I was horrible with watering. It went from oh fuck it needs water, to turning the water on and forgetting about it until the well pump wakes me up at 2 in the morning.

2BC3838D-D68A-49FB-94D3-BF13E851D9DC.jpeg

Woke up to 45* temps this morning with 25 plus MPH wind gusts not sure how things are outside popped out briefly to rescue the top off my pop canopy that is now broken and flattened on the back porch :mad3:

Looks like most of us found a way to make this a big fucking project!

I hauled in 6 cu yards of cedar mulch to go around my boxes. The damn boston terrier is allergic to them. Now I have to move it to the front yard. 😂😂

My son picked tomatoes and made some salsa. He's 21 and I helped him plant tomatoes and bell peppers to get him interested in growing and tending a few plants. So far, so good.

photo8416.png

photo8417.png

Woke up to 45* temps this morning with 25 plus MPH wind gusts not sure how things are outside popped out briefly to rescue the top off my pop canopy that is now broken and flattened on the back porch :mad3:

Its been that way here. We were 100+ like week or 2 ago and then its been in the mid 40’s at night. Tomatoes have set fruit but damn near stopped growing all together. Peppers are pissed. Lettuces and such are happy as they can be. Weird weather this year. Can someone call Greta and ask when that global warming is coming.

Mid 50s right now they are calling for the low 40s by morning. May 23 has always been our plant by date strange.

Well damn now my bean plants are yellowing. I wonder if it is a nutrient issue.

photo9136.jpg

Top Back Refresh