What's new

2020 gardens

Finished off the celery from store, planted, and two days later, boom!

photo10377.jpg

Wind blew through here last night now some of my Cucumbers plants don't look so good, Something has killed at least one of my spagetti squash, found a bug eating on one of my chilli plants sent a picture to the NMSU guys to see if they can identfy it mean while ordered Neem oil and BT spray from Amazon

IMG_20200623_085100.jpg

The usual veggies. Added hail netting for the first time, a day after our first hail storm 😡. Replanted some beans as a result. Corn is taking off like a rocket.

photo11554.jpg

photo11555.jpg

photo11556.jpg

photo11558.jpg

photo11559.jpg

first go at a garden. cantaloupe, watermelon and pumpkin are taking over. at the rate theyre growing they will take over everything in short order. if i trim these back to keep them contained in the box is that going to mess them up?

IMG_0164.jpg

first go at a garden. cantaloupe, watermelon and pumpkin are taking over. at the rate theyre growing they will take over everything in short order. if i trim these back to keep them contained in the box is that going to mess them up?

They gonna need more space than that depending on how many plants are in there. Pruning them would encourage it to send out new runners. Any fruit showing? If so, pruning will increase growth in those already there. I remember someone mentioning the more leaves the better cantaloupes will taste.

I planted mine in a manner to allow them to overflow the front of the raised bed and go as they need.

There are some neat tricks to grow them vertically.

Last edited:
Almost everyone of the plants we bought is dieing the cumcumbers looked like they were going to take over are just wilting and drying up even thought they are in self watering containers. I have tried Neem oil spray removing the wilting leaves nothing works. Went out after lunch and a chilli plant that was pretty and green in the morning is now wilted and fallen over. Bell peppers arer doing nothing. One okra plant now has 2 pods forming but the plant itself is less than a foot tall. The only bought plant that seems to be thriving is a squash but we have even gone out in the evening and found it is shrivling up. The corn I planted in bags is getting taller, but the pole beans in the same bags seem to be stunted. I had two cantalope push up the other day scared to repot for fear they will die to. Told mom next year we start all our own seeds. we didn't this year because the season just flat caught us flat footed

Cucumbers June 20

IMG_20200620_124651 (1).jpg

July 7th

IMG_20200709_185154.jpg

A few questions:

What's the plastic for?

How hot has it been?

What kind of soil?

How often do you water/fertilize?

Are there drain holes?

Last edited:
20200711_180526.jpg
Tomato that we bought already started is kicking ass. The one in the pot...so so.
Lettuce is kicking ass, as are all the herbs, and one strawberry plant I accidently bought, or possibly shoplifted somehow. I didn't plan to get it, but there it was when I got home.
Sunflowers are rocking (wife's favourite flower, so I plant em every year).
Kale and brocolli are kicking ass too, zucchinni is right out of hand. Couple sprouty potatoes from the back of the cupboard worked out pretty good.
Corn is coming along, pumpkins and squash are sprouted, and growing. Nothing spectacular, but doing well.
Carrots I blew it on thinning, but they are valiantly fighting the zucchini for domination of that box.

Prep for the boxes was 6" of fresh lawn clippings, which packed down when I put 4" of horse stall scrapings over it, then dirt on top.

20200711_180457.jpg 20200711_180507.jpg 20200711_180515.jpg

Our Garden is doing good, however I need to do some more weeding. My pepper plants are not as big as I like but everything else is doing great. Today I gave the peppers and tomatoes a tablespoon of azomite each. This will help if they are short on any of the trace elements. To help keep them going I give the tomatoes a small shot of the ground up fish every 2 weeks.

3F62E0A7-E4E7-4EEC-A923-69529A17F237.jpeg

3F62E0A7-E4E7-4EEC-A923-69529A17F237.jpeg

Tomato that we bought already started is kicking ass. The one in the pot...so so.
Lettuce is kicking ass, as are all the herbs, and one strawberry plant I accidently bought, or possibly shoplifted somehow. I didn't plan to get it, but there it was when I got home.
Sunflowers are rocking (wife's favourite flower, so I plant em every year).
Kale and brocolli are kicking ass too, zucchinni is right out of hand. Couple sprouty potatoes from the back of the cupboard worked out pretty good.
Corn is coming along, pumpkins and squash are sprouted, and growing. Nothing spectacular, but doing well.
Carrots I blew it on thinning, but they are valiantly fighting the zucchini for domination of that box.

Prep for the boxes was 6" of fresh lawn clippings, which packed down when I put 4" of horse stall scrapings over it, then dirt on top.

filedata/fetch?id=68294&d=1594521713 filedata/fetch?id=68295&d=1594521729 filedata/fetch?id=68296&d=1594521744

That is some good growth and big battle for real eatate/sunlight. Pruning the lower branches of the tomato plants would help with air flow and upward growth.

I could never get carrots to grow right in regular soil with other plants. They need airy soil that's heavy in perlite and peat moss.

That is some good growth and big battle for real eatate/sunlight. Pruning the lower branches of the tomato plants would help with air flow and upward growth.

I could never get carrots to grow right in regular soil with other plants. They need airy soil that's heavy in perlite and peat moss.

The problem with the tomato is it's so fruit heavy it can't stand up anymore. It was almost to the top of the cage before it blew up with fruit. I've had good luck with carrots, even in buckets.

I am on my 3rd bean harvest. I would guess around 15 lbs of beans so far but I do have roughly 75 plants. I got radishes growing under a grow light and doing great and also randomly placed in the beds outside. They are a 25 day crop so I keep planting it and harvesting. My leafy greens are growing faster than I can consume them. Zuchs are popping up. I have a shit ton of toms but still green. Black, red, blue, and strawberries are all popping up and getting eaten.

I planted a 2nd wave of leafy greens and butter lettuce this past week.

My onions are failing though.

photo13491.jpg

photo13492.jpg

photo13060.jpg

photo13495.jpg

photo13497.jpg

A few questions:

What's the plastic for?

How hot has it been?

What kind of soil?

How often do you water/fertilize?

Are there drain holes?

They are called earth boxes hold about 2 gallons of water in the bottom
plastic is to slow evaporation and reflect sunlight
We have been into the low 90*
I can't remember if I used bagged top soil, or straight peat moss or a combo
Fertilizer and a layer of dolimite comes in the kit and was added per instructions
yes there is an overflow

Found something this evening reservoir that I filled this morning was empty, so either there is a hole in the bottom or evaporation is more than I counted on.
We also get a lot of wind ordered a wind cover I am screwing to the deck rail tomarrow to see if that helps and I am thinking about some kind of shade.

I have never had this much trouble planting into the ground

The problem with the tomato is it's so fruit heavy it can't stand up anymore. It was almost to the top of the cage before it blew up with fruit. I've had good luck with carrots, even in buckets.

Maybe it needed attachment points to the cage? I have thin tomato plants with some big ass fruit and I had to assist it with clips so it wouldn't topple.

They are called earth boxes hold about 2 gallons of water in the bottom
plastic is to slow evaporation and reflect sunlight
We have been into the low 90*
I can't remember if I used bagged top soil, or straight peat moss or a combo
Fertilizer and a layer of dolimite comes in the kit and was added per instructions
yes there is an overflow

Found something this evening reservoir that I filled this morning was empty, so either there is a hole in the bottom or evaporation is more than I counted on.
We also get a lot of wind ordered a wind cover I am screwing to the deck rail tomarrow to see if that helps and I am thinking about some kind of shade.

I have never had this much trouble planting into the ground

A couple things come to mind. Soil in raised beds, especially small ones, heat up faster than ground soil and this can bake the plant roots. The plastic is not helping the heat escape. Temps in the 90's would really heat up and dry that soil. I would suggest a layer of straw or mulch of your choice instead of plastic which will help keep it cool and contain the moisture. Also small beds like that with fruiting plants are gonna need consistent fertilizing because the nutrients are gonna deplete pretty quickly.

Try removing the the plastic and manual watering it every few days. Hit it with a fertilizer every 7 days. They should bounce back.

Last edited:
A couple things come to mind. Soil in raised beds, especially small ones, heat up faster than ground soil and this can bake the plant roots. The plastic is not helping the heat escape. Temps in the 90's would really heat up and dry that soil. I would suggest a layer of straw or mulch of your choice instead of plastic which will help keep it cool and contain the moisture. Also small beds like that with fruiting plants are gonna need consistent fertilizing because the nutrients are gonna deplete pretty quickly.

Agree on the heat went with the boxes because we were supposed to be gone the first two weeks of July, to birthday parties for my Aunt and Uncle in Az, but the beer virus cancelled that
fertilizer is on the opposite side of the plants full length of the box and about 2 inches deep

I kept hoping they would pull out, but I guess i am going to have to get a bit more proactive, I am going to move everything into the same area where I can run drip lines and run them on a timer

Agree on the heat went with the boxes because we were supposed to be gone the first two weeks of July, to birthday parties for my Aunt and Uncle in Az, but the beer virus cancelled that
fertilizer is on the opposite side of the plants full length of the box and about 2 inches deep

I kept hoping they would pull out, but I guess i am going to have to get a bit more proactive, I am going to move everything into the same area where I can run drip lines and run them on a timer

I bet they will bounce back in a day or two with a good fertilizing.

Last edited:
I am on my 3rd bean harvest. I would guess around 15 lbs of beans so far but I do have roughly 75 plants. I got radishes growing under a grow light and doing great and also randomly placed in the beds outside. They are a 25 day crop so I keep planting it and harvesting. My leafy greens are growing faster than I can consume them. Zuchs are popping up. I have a shit ton of toms but still green. Black, red, blue, and strawberries are all popping up and getting eaten.

I planted a 2nd wave of leafy greens and butter lettuce this past week.

My onions are failing though.

that is a lot of green beans. we have 5 bush plants and they are way larger than we anticipated. what is the protocol on them, do you rip them out and start over every year or can you keep them going year to year?

that is a lot of green beans. we have 5 bush plants and they are way larger than we anticipated. what is the protocol on them, do you rip them out and start over every year or can you keep them going year to year?

I like beans cuz they are easy to grow and provide alot of fruit plus I can freeze what I don't consume. Beans are annuals, once and done.

I sow indoors early spring and start a new batch every two weeks so they keep producing till temps drop. We are gonna grow a few plants under the light during winter.

Last edited:
I like beans cuz they are easy to grow and provide alot of fruit plus I can freeze what I don't consume. Beans are annuals so you replant em every year.

I sow indoors early spring and start a new batch every two weeks so they keep producing till temps drop. We are gonna grow a few plants under the light during winter.

If you like pickles you need to can some dilly beans. We love them. Our family eats 30+ pints a year of them.

Tomatoes are small, but there are a lot of them.

Bell peppers aren’t quite producing yet, Some other peppers have already ripened.

Zucchini have been producing good.

DB0B2AFE-B215-4C65-B6D3-5BCB0B41C0DC.jpeg

9C834854-51A7-48EA-86E2-5C852D36792F.jpeg

B6A9089D-C5FC-4EBE-AA51-F9C030FA692B.jpeg

I got squash beetles eating my cucumbers. Never failed at cukes before. Tomatoes doing good nothing ripe yet.

yellow squash has been crazy.
hungarian hot peppers are going great.
green and wax beans are doing good.
2nd crop of radishes.
going to pull the rest of the beets this week.
strawberries and blackberries are exploding, tara has made jam of both. enough for the year, and gifts for the whole family.
the rest is coming on.

Last edited:
Strawberries are about done with a few plants still producing. They got transplanted this spring because of a septic repair, along with my 5 blue berry plants, so wasn’t expecting massive fruit this year. Black raspberries are done with red raspberries comingss as on strong along side the trailing blackberries. The big blackberry plants are loaded but about a week or 2 out.

Tomatoes are doing great getting the first ripe beefsteaks and brandywines as well, there are like 15+ plants. One garlic bed is about ready to harvest and onions are looking great. I shit the bed this year with carrots and cabbages and dont know why. Squashes are going nuts with lots of yellow squash fruits set along with some sugar pumpkins and howden pumpkins. A few early butternuts and spaghettis have set as well. I have 4 different hills of taters around. Not fruit on the trees this year but they are only a few years old. Corn is random. Bought starts and they are about finished with shit ears, seeds sowed are growing great with beans climbing on them.

this fall is going to probably be a rework of the garden to add about 200 sqft. Going to knock down some raised beds build some trellises and amend this years newly opened up area. Also already looking at clearing a bit of brush to put in like a 40-50’ ish garden for next year. I suspect food prices are going to be climbing.

Also bought my seeds for next years garden and the next few years honestly. Vacuum packed them in bags for the year with some absorption media bags and tossed them in the safe. All the clover I planted has definitely helped pull in the pollinators this year. Still need to try and set a swarm trap for bees. Its way late but might get lucky.

Cucumbers are blowing up hourly. What I like seeing is the fruit trees doing well. The wild berries, black and raspberry are freakin insane. Haven’t been brush cutting or spraying the black berries in hopes that the black bears load up on them and then bang in September.
Black Berry Lives Matter, because black bears need to get fat.

Top Back Refresh