What's new

1984 Ford Bronco

I grabbed some wheels and tires off Tire Rack this Black Friday. Got $120 back on 33x10.5R15 tires. Had to do it.

Put them on tonight and I think my oldest kid is now interested in working on the Bronco!

This looks so much better. Went from about 28” tires to 33”. :laughing:

Also ordered up almost everything to swap in my 9” next week.

Looks good, that rim style looks classic on that beauty.

The fuck do people even use distilled water for other than cooling systems?

why the fuck do people use it in cooling systems? Never heard that until a week ago, another forum was saying Ram Hemis needed distilled. Never have ever done that, just stick the garden hose in and fill it up.

why the fuck do people use it in cooling systems? Never heard that until a week ago, another forum was saying Ram Hemis needed distilled. Never have ever done that, just stick the garden hose in and fill it up.

The main use is batteries. It's probably good to use in a rad, but I never have.

Honestly it’s for a lack of contaminants. My house water is not only acidic but full of iron and other stuff I didn’t want in a new cooling system.

To be clear, my well is 275’ deep and pulling water from an area that’s had the effects of mining everywhere.

While the wife was out grocery shopping today I fired up the Bronco and checked these tires lock to lock. The 10.5 with 3.70 backspacing gave great clearance. If this thing sees any mild dirt it might rub the fenders, but I can just add bigger bump stops or something to figure it out. Just don’t want to ruin any metal.

I’ve been eyeing up old beat up Chevy and Ford trucks from the local dealer who sources trucks from out west. So...if the economy and life manages to hold up, maybe one of those ugly ducklings can be my new toy for the dirt.

Oh, and one more glamour shot.

8C63AE40-AC97-425B-AE70-6EEE066DE32B.jpeg

Distilled water, theoretically, only has hydrogen and oxygen atoms in it.

Not minerals/sand/grit/etc.

In a word; tap water/garden hose water is like getting water from a river.

It looks clean and clear until you take a closer look at it; and realize there's all kinds of shit in it.

Distilled water, theoretically, only has hydrogen and oxygen atoms in it.

Not minerals/sand/grit/etc.

In a word; tap water/garden hose water is like getting water from a river.

It looks clean and clear until you take a closer look at it; and realize there's all kinds of shit in it.

Yeah, probably not a big deal for a DD that gets circulated every day. But when it sits more than it runs, bad news.

Started the 9” swap tonight. Axle went in quick. Messing with the parking brake and drums took longer. Need to finish it up tomorrow night.

80DB1239-518B-4227-AC52-AD66E5706B8B.jpeg

69BA11EB-DC1F-42C2-96B3-48EFBB2EDB98.jpeg

2F829818-C355-4147-9C85-FEA883F67F24.jpeg

Do you remember our conversation about the gas tank vents and what not? Pretty sure I can’t just vent my gas tank to nothing. :laughing:

Building the brakes on the 9” all I could smell were gas fumes. I’ll have to dig out the emissions canister I removed and figure out a way to fashion at the rear of the truck.

Also, was going to try and sell the 8.8, but I think I might hang onto it. Might be nice to have if I want to build this into a mild trail vehicle.

Removed my steering shaft, steering gear, pump, brackets, and hoses today. Tried grinding and pounding out the pins that hold the rag joint on and fucked up the factory steering shaft.

Got a Red Head Steering Gear on order and a Borgensen steering shaft. :smokin:

Didn’t want to drop the money on the shaft, but screw it.

Sweet ride. :smokin:

Thank you. It’s almost too mild for this place, but oh well. :laughing:

Epitome of New Year’s Eve’s loser club tonight, man. I worked in the shop until 9:00pm re-doing the steering.

I don’t really have help to bleed this steering system, so I did it tonight by hand with an impact. Worked well, and pretty sure it’s bled as it’s puking fluid again when I turn the wheels.

So, all new drag link/steering link/tie rods, did new ps pump, lines, Red Head steering gear, and Borgenson shaft. Also painted the one PS pump bracket and polished up the aluminum.

Going to fire it up tomorrow and look for leaks, top her off, and see how it steers with all this new steering.

C665BA07-6614-4014-B801-D235F9F0828A.jpeg

1BFD0932-6822-48A8-9371-686876413C08.jpeg

D6C2931D-46AB-4191-AB4C-552785976FFB.jpeg

6A395ABB-0F14-4B92-AE91-74C655995333.jpeg

F457EA7C-7A12-4AFF-8DB1-886BF4F54950.jpeg

All that’s left is to rebuild the whole front axle and she’ll be ready to cruise.

After that it’s going to get an HEI and 4 BBL with header set up and true duals on the I6. :smokin:

As I recall, they had two options. One with some rubber to filter out vibrations. The other was all metal. I chose the all metal one because I figured it would have less play. It does have slightly more vibration in the wheel, but nothing much. What did you get?

As I recall, they had two options. One with some rubber to filter out vibrations. The other was all metal. I chose the all metal one because I figured it would have less play. It does have slightly more vibration in the wheel, but nothing much. What did you get?

I got the one with the vibration damper.

Had the wife (bitching and moaning) watch the PS fluid this morning when I fired it up. Hand bleeding worked perfectly and no leaks. There is almost zero play in my steering now. It literally feels like a brand new truck.

I am chomping at the bit to get this out and drive it! I haven’t owned an old vehicle/classic in almost 13 years. The last one I didn’t get to drive as the while wiring needed redone and I was too uneducated with wiring to fix it in my driveway.

Going to call my uncle tomorrow and hopefully get a new transfer case for this thing. I MIGHT also see if he has a 78-79 Dana 44 laying around for cheap. :grinpimp:

I haven’t owned an old vehicle/classic in almost 13 years.

When I bought a 88' Bronco in 1991, I felt like it was a brand new car. I drove that till I got my current 90' in about 2003. They don't seem old/classic to me. Lol

Going to call my uncle tomorrow and hopefully get a new transfer case for this thing. I MIGHT also see if he has a 78-79 Dana 44 laying around for cheap. :grinpimp:

The transfer case is easy and cheap to rebuild.

When I bought a 88' Bronco in 1991, I felt like it was a brand new car. I drove that till I got my current 90' in about 2003. They don't seem old/classic to me. Lol

The transfer case is easy and cheap to rebuild.

They’re 36 years old. This is a birth year vehicle for me. :laughing:

Yeah, I know...but not when the case is cracked in numerous places. Most likely the case took a beating from the transmission mount being GONE and the motor mounts trashed when I bought it. The transmission was literally sitting on the crossmember metal to metal.

They’re 36 years old. This is a birth year vehicle for me. :laughing:

Yeah, I know...but not when the case is cracked in numerous places. Most likely the case took a beating from the transmission mount being GONE and the motor mounts trashed when I bought it. The transmission was literally sitting on the crossmember metal to metal.

If you get one out of a junkyard, I would open it up and check it out. The 1356's in my Bronco is known for spinning the oil pump after the case web erodes. It's an easy fix if you catch it before it spins. I believe yours is a 1345, but I think they are almost identical. The other ware item is the forks. Some people say the chains stretch, but I've never came across it.

If you get one out of a junkyard, I would open it up and check it out. The 1356's in my Bronco is known for spinning the oil pump after the case web erodes. It's an easy fix if you catch it before it spins. I believe yours is a 1345, but I think they are almost identical. The other ware item is the forks. Some people say the chains stretch, but I've never came across it.

There is no reason to get a 1356 in this day and age. A NVG 271 (from a Superduty with a 4R100) bolts in place, can us the same shifter (might need a length modification on the arm) has drive flanges on both ends, doesn't have the pump problem and is tons stronger.

I have an NP208.

I haven’t seen anything on the NVG271. Might have to check that out, but might be hard to find around here.

There is no reason to get a 1356 in this day and age. A NVG 271 (from a Superduty with a 4R100) bolts in place, can us the same shifter (might need a length modification on the arm) has drive flanges on both ends, doesn't have the pump problem and is tons stronger.

I've not seen a 271 with the short output for a Bronco. A 1356 is pretty bulletproof once the pump arm is fixed.

I've not seen a 271 with the short output for a Bronco. A 1356 is pretty bulletproof once the pump arm is fixed.

IMO the extra 3" or so over a 1356 isn't enough to matter, especially if you run a cut down the superduty drive shaft with 1410s.

He has a nearly stock bronco. IIRC your blue bronco is running 37s with probably 6"+ of lift (just eyeballing it) which means you have much steeper angles. He can afford the extra length.

IMO the extra 3" or so over a 1356 isn't enough to matter, especially if you run a cut down the superduty drive shaft with 1410s.

He has a nearly stock bronco. IIRC your blue bronco is running 37s with probably 6"+ of lift (just eyeballing it) which means you have much steeper angles. He can afford the extra length.

I just did some research. It looks like it's a little over 4" longer. I thought it was longer than that. That's doable with a custom shaft and good info to know.

Not sure if his 9" has a longer snout than a 8.8

The 9” came from a Bronco so it’s the same as an 8.8. I just put all new u-joints in already so I’m just getting another NP208 from another Bronco.

This thing will never even go into 4wd so I’m not worried about it.

I’m just getting another NP208 from another Bronco.

This thing will never even go into 4wd so I’m not worried about it.

Pussy :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Also, you better work that shifter through the motions on a regular schedule or it won't go into 4wd the one time you need it.

Top Back Refresh