What's new

1984 Ford Bronco

Wanted to get this done quite awhile ago. So, decided to knock it out. Looks a lot better with the fender wells painted rather than faded and shitty looking plastic. Going to have to be careful when I do the brake booster and master cylinder this week, but I’ll just destroy a few of the wife’s towels. :laughing:

21026038-053C-4C7F-BDCC-AA5D9BBF3A76.jpeg

058F887D-9BA3-4C37-AED9-7E8F7441BABC.jpeg

Got the transfer case replacement today. Tried to clean it up some and said fawk that noise.

Going to crack it open here later and see how the internals look. Feels good spinning it by hand. No play, no noise, just dirty.

91685F3F-3A54-420E-8AB6-70E95EB8C9EC.jpeg

Got the transfer case all done.

Installed the new brake booster/master cylinder yesterday. Under the hood is pretty much done for now.

I also did new HD factory coils and new shocks up front. Leveled it out and looks good. And yeah, I had to build that stool to get to the motor. I’m too short. :laughing:

D3567B91-3F0E-4B60-A888-0F2B3964E1A7.jpeg

83B6DAE7-1A4A-4052-BF54-7AEFA19AF339.jpeg

B700E407-F132-44A9-82DF-76192267CCB7.jpeg

16EE4224-0199-4F28-B01D-D770F74B605A.jpeg

522DBA9A-7709-4433-B58B-072A3918E559.jpeg

Boy that thing looks clean!

I found a new front clip in my uncle’s stash of Ford goodies. Going to switch to a nice, clean, all chrome front bumper, chrome grille insert that has a brand new Ford emblem, and found a new black headlight bezel to match my driver’s side.

Going to look just how I want it when done. I was never a fan of the push bumper.

Discovered that my uncle hates the Ford 300...so the next time I'm over there I'm going to see if he has one laying around that he'd let go for cheap. After watching this: I want to build a 300 to swap into the Bronco.

My original idea was to just do a 4 barrel set up with headers, DUI distributor, and call it good. But I'm thinking a whole rebuilt, beefed up motor is better for the long run. :smokin:

Just to a stock rebuild with a kit for a '96, roller rockers EFI manifolds, 4bbl intake and slap Holly Sniper on it. Maybe port and polish the head and throw a cam in while you're at it. Pretty much any ignition system that isn't points will be fine well beyond the speed any engine that's more than 2ft long can reach.

Unless you are trying to build it for some sort of racing there is no reason to fuck around with bigger valves and different piston/rod combos. It's just not worth it for how slow the gains are.

Finished my front end swap tonight. Not 100% sold on the grill. Thinking it might need the plastic behind the chrome painted black.

Waiting on the bumper bolts from Dennis Carpenter to finish it completely

49BFDA4D-EE07-4F0C-9999-FE52CA80707A.jpeg

697079BC-06B1-4ED7-9EAA-65A383856801.jpeg

D1C06DB9-6CC0-40C2-8EBE-AB1393B63C4A.jpeg

0CE941D6-934E-4B40-8E63-E03355AD75A5.jpeg

A387EDC5-55D8-4ACC-9A9B-2593621E206A.png

Got the whole front end rebuilt. Got some small odds and ends to tie up. Once the snow stops and the salt is cleared off the road it’ll get registered, plated, inspected and ready to cruise.

Next on the list is probably a 4 BBL set up. After that if my tires wear out an SAS and 35’s or bigger.

I finally got to drive this thing the past week. Ran well. It has a vibration that feels like it’s in the rear end when I’m on the throttle. I’m leaning towards either being the clutch packs in the LSD, or the torque converter. Everything else is pretty much new.

Basically got a next winter list already going for this truck.

What tranny is it?

C6

Vibration is primarily while under load. Leaning more towards the rear diff needing rebuilt completely. I took the cheap route as it all looked good, but it did come out of an 84’ Bronco that was used for plowing snow.

C6

Vibration is primarily while under load. Leaning more towards the rear diff needing rebuilt completely. I took the cheap route as it all looked good, but it did come out of an 84’ Bronco that was used for plowing snow.

Check the driveshaft. Also Under load the axle can rotate and cause ujoint angle problems. Driveshaft is in phase. Simple things to check

Check the driveshaft. Also Under load the axle can rotate and cause ujoint angle problems. Driveshaft is in phase. Simple things to check

This, maybe you some kind of traction bar. Or maybe just some wedges on the spring blocks.

It’s all new joints.

I didn’t think about the spring blocks...thought I used the same ones that came with the 9” axle and not the 8.8.

It’s all new joints.

I didn’t think about the spring blocks...thought I used the same ones that came with the 9” axle and not the 8.8.

Basics on new builds. Iron out the bugs.

Check the angle of the dangle. Axle swap could've changed the driveshaft angles and its not happy under load.

Try switching tires front to back.

Could try tightening the lug nuts or putting them all on, but thats my personal experience tho. :flipoff2:

awesome bronco clean

Basics on new builds. Iron out the bugs.

Check the angle of the dangle. Axle swap could've changed the driveshaft angles and its not happy under load.

Try switching tires front to back.

Could try tightening the lug nuts or putting them all on, but thats my personal experience tho. :flipoff2:

awesome bronco clean

Another guy I ask about troubleshooting said it could be the splines inside the CV are shot. I swapped axles from the same year Bronco, but I can check the pinion angle as well.

I’m not too concerned about it, it’s just annoying, and this thing won’t be driven much since Pennsylvania weather usually blows.

You guys ever try Bar’s Stop Leak for a rear main seal? This one is leaking pretty badly, and I don’t feel like dropping the trans this summer. Was hoping to ride it out until winter. It’s got some good reviews.

Also, I think I narrowed down the vibration to my tires. Might try beads to see if it helps.

You guys ever try Bar’s Stop Leak for a rear main seal? This one is leaking pretty badly, and I don’t feel like dropping the trans this summer. Was hoping to ride it out until winter. It’s got some good reviews.

Also, I think I narrowed down the vibration to my tires. Might try beads to see if it helps.

Why would you intentionally sludge up your oil passages? Stick a catch pan under it if it's that bad.

Why would you intentionally sludge up your oil passages? Stick a catch pan under it if it's that bad.

It’s a 300...should be able to survive anything.

I’ll probably just keep topping it off. It only runs once a week, when there’s no rain and nice weather.

Last edited:
I finally got to drive this thing the past week. Ran well. It has a vibration that feels like it’s in the rear end when I’m on the throttle. I’m leaning towards either being the clutch packs in the LSD, or the torque converter. Everything else is pretty much new.

Basically got a next winter list already going for this truck.

Did you dump a bottle of the LSD modifier in the diff? It is supposed to help with clutch chatter.

So I posted this for sale. Getting lots of tire kickers.

Drove it Friday and Saturday. This thing gets attention everywhere it goes. People talking to me sitting at stop lights, yelling from the sidewalks.

Ugh. Thinking about keeping it. If someone came to see it and offered a hefty amount of cash for it I’d let it go.

I think the best way to sell something like that is park it next to a busy road. But there will be lots of tire kickers and low ballers.

Top Back Refresh