What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

The only reasons to run a 99-04 axle.
1. To run yukon lockouts (someone pointed out chromoly gears for 05+ lockouts Rcv makes but I have yet to hear about real world feedback)
2. To go to 5 or 6 lug outers can’t do that with 05+ stuff
3. You got it cheap and you can machine unit bearings yourself. Buy the time you buy unit bearings to run 35 spline shafts it’s more than an 05+ axle.

I’m running one because of reason 1,3

I know Ian Johnson likes them because they’re cheap and easier to clean up. Plus I bet his unit bearings are all sponsored so reason #3 doesn’t exist for him.
Thanks for that. That list pretty much applies to Dana 50 as well I think?

Which 5 lug options can you go to and what machining is required on the unit bearings?

The only reasons to run a 99-04 axle.
1. To run yukon lockouts (someone pointed out chromoly gears for 05+ lockouts Rcv makes but I have yet to hear about real world feedback)
2. To go to 5 or 6 lug outers can’t do that with 05+ stuff
3. You got it cheap and you can machine unit bearings yourself. Buy the time you buy unit bearings to run 35 spline shafts it’s more than an 05+ axle.

I’m running one because of reason 1,3

I know Ian Johnson likes them because they’re cheap and easier to clean up. Plus I bet his unit bearings are all sponsored so reason #3 doesn’t exist for him.
I think you hit the nail on the head

Had to search for it but around minute 10 or so he explains why he chose a 99-04. He bought the front and rear as a set for $600 and he didn’t see a huge benefit going to 05+

Thanks for that. That list pretty much applies to Dana 50 as well I think?

Which 5 lug options can you go to and what machining is required on the unit bearings?
I found a bunch of conflicting in do on the machining. But what I did was pound the studs out (I bought a drill jig to go to 8x6.5” anyway) bore all the way through to 1.562” or 1 9/16”. The on the back knock the old bearing out and do a counter bore of 1.875” .875” deep for the new spindle bushing. Pretty easy the finish on mine are meh with the tooling I had available.

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
I found a bunch of conflicting in do on the machining. But what I did was pound the studs out (I bought a drill jig to go to 8x6.5” anyway) bore all the way through to 1.562” or 1 9/16”. The on the back knock the old bearing out and do a counter bore of 1.875” .875” deep for the new spindle bushing. Pretty easy the finish on mine are meh with the tooling I had available.
Sorry I’m missing what the machining accomplished

The ability to run an 1.5” 35 spline stub shaft. Otherwise it’s 30 spline shaft from the factory. The 05+ stuff is 35 spline from the factory.
Oh got it thanks

Are you then using the factory 1480 35 spline outer from an 05+?

It always confuses me why people want to discuss ‘99-‘04 D60s in threads specifically about ‘05+ D60s:confused:
Because they don't know the difference and get educated on the 05+ thread ?

Are you then using the factory 1480 35 spline outer from an 05+?
No, it's aftermarket.
05+ and 99-04 stubs are different

Had to search for it but around minute 10 or so he explains why he chose a 99-04. He bought the front and rear as a set for $600 and he didn’t see a huge benefit going to 05+

Having owned a '99.5 F-350 PS diesel with 37" BFGs; I destroyed at least a couple of unit bearing driving fire roads and granny speed.:mad3:

That said;
My #1 reason for wanting an '05+ axle was it's larger/beefier unit bearings.

Having owned a '99.5 F-350 PS diesel with 37" BFGs; I destroyed at least a couple of unit bearing driving fire roads and granny speed.:mad3:

That said;
My #1 reason for wanting an '05+ axle was it's larger/beefier unit bearings.
Didn’t happen. I heard it on the YouTube that it’s only ever the ears that break. :flipoff2: :lmao:

Do you want me to start a 99-04 newb questions thread

What’s your suggestion
I don’t mean to come off as a jerk about it but google is a hell of a tool. It just muddies the waters and gets annoying when there’s a bunch of info in a thread that doesn’t even apply to the topic. The old 05+ thread was like 100 pages long and had so much ‘99-‘04 junk in it that it was hard to sort through…

I don’t mean to come off as a jerk about it but google is a hell of a tool. It just muddies the waters and gets annoying when there’s a bunch of info in a thread that doesn’t even apply to the topic. The old 05+ thread was like 100 pages long and had so much ‘99-‘04 junk in it that it was hard to sort through…

Were you born after 1990 or 2000?

No, we’re you?
Nope; 1965.:grinpimp:

I'm old enough to where research used involve the library and index cards.
As well as vehicle clubs and vehicle mags.

Research involved combing through books and mag articles.
COMBING. THROUGH.

Data from this thread is generated from discussions.
Most of what is on the OP (in my vain attempt at collected data) was from discussions throughout the thread.

You're welcome.:flipoff2:

Nope; 1965.:grinpimp:

I'm old enough to where research used involve the library and index cards.
As well as vehicle clubs and vehicle mags.

Research involved combing through books and mag articles.
COMBING. THROUGH.

Data from this thread is generated from discussions.
Most of what is on the OP (in my vain attempt at collected data) was from discussions throughout the thread.

You're welcome.:flipoff2:
Hell, may as well talk about kingpin 60 variants and pre ‘99 BJ 60s too…

Hell, may as well talk about kingpin 60 variants and pre ‘99 BJ 60s too…
I get your point, but... if you're dead set on a SD 60, you probably know enough about it that you're not combing through this thread trying to learn anything... to your point, you know enough already about what you want that you can just easily Google a part or answer to what you need.

Most people aren't set on a SD 60 who are combing through this thread, and finding something on a 99-04 or pre BJ 60 might make them realize that's actually what they do want, or help them realize why an 05+ is advantageous

Should we clean up this thread? It's supposed to be a tech thread on 2005 plus Ford Super Duty 60 axles, right?

More censorship. That’s the answer 🤦‍♂️

More censorship. That’s the answer 🤦‍♂️
Hey dumbass, notice I said "we". :flipoff2:

As in delete your own shit, that's not on topic, for the benefit of those looking for information on the actual tech topic.

Hell, create a thread for the bickering in chit chat. If asked, we can move the other stuff to a thread on 1999-2004 60's, etc.

This isn't Facebook.

Top Back Refresh