What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

I have this same basic setup and I agree with Domer. (I have 11,000 miles on it now)

BD764817-1F14-49A2-84BB-B9F725C937AE.jpeg

Unpinned, it doesn’t have to move much for alot of flex.

E820B839-D2EC-41C1-99D6-F02FF47893E5.jpeg

That top heim is turned out way to far IMO. Upper arm should have been an inch or so longer.

That top heim is turned out way to far IMO. Upper arm should have been an inch or so longer.
The rule of thumb is one times the diameter in steel. (1 1/2 in aluminum) That picture was takin early in my build. I believe I turned it in some for caster later.

Edit, here’s a pic today. Note I had to change the quick pin because the old one was to hard to pull out.

CFF0FF0E-B3CD-4A5C-AF67-6DA53A506325.jpeg

Last edited:
The rule of thumb is one times the diameter in steel. (1 1/2 in aluminum) That picture was takin early in my build. I believe I turned it in some for caster later.

Edit, here’s a pic today. Note I had to change the quick pin because the old one was to hard to pull out.

CFF0FF0E-B3CD-4A5C-AF67-6DA53A506325.jpeg
Is your lower sleeved there where the pin goes through, or solid, or other? Would think it could be a weak point if it's just a whole drilled, but if sleeved then would be a strong spot. Pure curiosity question

1.25” seems like it. You barely have to take anything off the ring gear. I used an angle grinder on the old carrier took about 5 mins.

Attachments

• E0A3628C-E867-4871-9999-D72CED933145.jpeg
    E0A3628C-E867-4871-9999-D72CED933145.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 223
1.25” seems like it. You barely have to take anything off the ring gear. I used an angle grinder on the old carrier took about 5 mins.
That’s impressive! Although I don’t like the idea of welding cast, I think that area is not under much stress. (Especially wit a truss)

The only thing I don’t like about that is the truss is got lots of places to hold dirt, mud and water. Would be hard to clean even with a pressure washer and you can’t hardly paint it proper. I know you guys out west don’t get much rain, but you got to go through some water now and then. Just seems like a truss could be designed better.

If you could get the axle to hang on a roatary you could use liquid paint and let it run into the truss and places than smooth out the drips on the tubes with a foam brush. I'm in Socal so rust aint a problem i've had to deal with.

Spray paint or internal chassis coating with a flexible straw and unidirectional tip. Piece of cake.

The edge that gets welded to the axle tubes have large openings for water to drain out of. But yeah any of those type of trusses are hard to paint inside for sure.
nOOB question:
Would a truss with a cross section shaped like a 'T' work/be any stronger?
Add gusset plates facing fore/aft.

IIRC; that was popular/kind of standard design 15+ years ago.
Back when the 14-bolt was the go-to axle/pumpkin.

Said truss would eliminate discussed issues it would seem. 🤷‍♂️

nOOB question:
Would a truss with a cross section shaped like a 'T' work/be any stronger?
Add gusset plates facing fore/aft.

IIRC; that was popular/kind of standard design 15+ years ago.
Back when the 14-bolt was the go-to axle/pumpkin.

Said truss would eliminate discussed issues it would seem. 🤷‍♂️
It would work.

If the vertical web on your T shape was 2x the thickness as the front/back of a box section, and the height and top plate thickness was the same, then it would be equally strong in vertical bending.

Now, if you're trying to mount a upper link bracket to the top of the truss, then the box section would be stronger. If I was going that direction, I'd run the tabs for the upper link all the way to the axle tube.

It would work.

If the vertical web on your T shape was 2x the thickness as the front/back of a box section, and the height and top plate thickness was the same, then it would be equally strong in vertical bending.

Now, if you're trying to mount a upper link bracket to the top of the truss, then the box section would be stronger. If I was going that direction, I'd run the tabs for the upper link all the way to the axle tube.

Yeah; IIRC, that's exactly how it was done back then.

I think the OP is updating the original post with new tech. I've only skimmed through a few pages, but does anyone know what the pinion offset is on the '05+?. I think my KP Chevy D60s are about ~8" offset to the passenger side from the center of the axle. My portals will be 10". Just trying to get an idea as to the offset (to the driver) as I might want to get one of these SD60s and swap tubes to get passenger drop for a specific project.

~8" offset to the driver side from center.

If you swap tubes the offset won't be 8" to the right since the pinion isn't centered in the casting.

Ah....hadn't considered that it wouldn't maintain the offset with swapped tubes, duh. Mainly I was wanting to be able to buy/order off the shelf axle shafts with pass drop. For this project, I don't need anything beyond the factory Spicer 1550 set up which are like $195 for the short and $205 for the long side...so pretty reasonable.

Ah....hadn't considered that it wouldn't maintain the offset with swapped tubes, duh. Mainly I was wanting to be able to buy/order off the shelf axle shafts with pass drop. For this project, I don't need anything beyond the factory Spicer 1550 set up which are like $195 for the short and $205 for the long side...so pretty reasonable.
The pinion is offset to the driver side, in the chunk.... so swapping the tubes would move it closer to center, I believe. But I dont have one here to confirm.

The pinion is offset to the driver side, in the chunk.... so swapping the tubes would move it closer to center, I believe. But I dont have one here to confirm.

That sorta sucks for my case....as it'll put it even more under the engine.

Any very rough idea how much it would move it toward the center?

I have a 99-04 housing here. And rough numbers if you trimmed the casting down 2.5” the inner casting. Then Shoved the casting right against the knuckle it would be 14” off set on the passenger side. And then shift it towards the center how ever much axle tube you need exposed on the now short side. Just rough numbers. Figure 2.5” of axle tube you would be 11.5” from center with this casting. 05+ would be different and I assume over towards center quite a bit more.

Top Back Refresh