What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

Any very rough idea how much it would move it toward the center?
I need to go to my axle storage spot to measure. I'll try to do it sometime next month. Sorry I can't be any faster.

So based on my measurements, it’s like 3-4” is how far it would inset if you flipped sides. This is my plan as I am going to be using a d300. Actually excited for this as it would allow me to move my links in more and package 50* steering easier

I need to go to my axle storage spot to measure. I'll try to do it sometime next month. Sorry I can't be any faster.
No worries. And don't do it just for me..... It's a good data point to have in the thread but after some of these issues I'm pretty much abandoning the idea for this particular project.

No worries. And don't do it just for me..... It's a good data point to have in the thread but after some of these issues I'm pretty much abandoning the idea for this particular project.
This is from page 4, not sure of how rough of a measurement is ok for you

I sold the axle so this is the best you're getting from me :flipoff2:

I recall somewhere in the 30 pages that the 2wd beams have the same inner C as a 4wd, but is the knuckle the same if you bolt up a 4wd unit bearing? I assume so if the C is the same.

Yes just swap out the 2wd unit bearing. The monobeam Cs and knuckles are the same as 4wd 450/550 axles

Yes just swap out the 2wd unit bearing. The monobeam Cs and knuckles are the same as 4wd 450/550 axles
450/550? Aren’t the brakes different on those axles? So will I need to run 2wd or 450/550 brakes if I use 2wd knuckles? I guess I could start cross referencing part #s…

I already have some brake parts collected, but I’m looking at picking up a bare housing with no knuckles.

Now that I think about it my brake parts are rotors pads and a caliper from a 2021, I think I read the brakes changed on the later stuff so I’ll need to check that against the knuckles I eventually pick up.

Literally the same all the way out. Including unit bearings, they're splined.

All the linkages, steering box, every thing but the pig and axle shafts.

2013 up changed brake size.

450/550? Aren’t the brakes different on those axles? So will I need to run 2wd or 450/550 brakes if I use 2wd knuckles? I guess I could start cross referencing part #s…

I already have some brake parts collected, but I’m looking at picking up a bare housing with no knuckles.

Now that I think about it my brake parts are rotors pads and a caliper from a 2021, I think I read the brakes changed on the later stuff so I’ll need to check that against the knuckles I eventually pick up.
4wd to 2wd brakes are the same. Do you plan on running the 10 lug unit bearings? 250/350 unit bearings bolt in for 8 lug options.
I have a lightweight kit for $600 if interested that will clear a 17in wheel.

Literally the same all the way out. Including unit bearings, they're splined.

All the linkages, steering box, every thing but the pig and axle shafts.

2013 up changed brake size.
Awesome

I think if I want to use my 2021 caliper and rotors then I need a 2013+ knuckle, right?

Or did just the caliper bracket change and the calipers are the same between all years?

4wd to 2wd brakes are the same. Do you plan on running the 10 lug unit bearings? 250/350 unit bearings bolt in for 8 lug options.
I’m going 250/350 8 lug

Thanks, just slowly collecting parts for now. You're somewhere Midwest right and can do the tube press and drop changes? I assume shipping wouldn’t be worth it, know anyone on the west coast that does it?

I’m going 250/350 8 lug

Thanks, just slowly collecting parts for now. You're somewhere Midwest right and can do the tube press and drop changes? I assume shipping wouldn’t be worth it, know anyone on the west coast that does it?
30 minutes west of St.louis. I can ship commercial to Cali for $300 to a dock

Awesome

I think if I want to use my 2021 caliper and rotors then I need a 2013+ knuckle, right?

Or did just the caliper bracket change and the calipers are the same between all years?
Caliper bolt spacing changed. If you look earlier in the thread, someone made an adapter to put earlier calipers on later knuckles, not sure of the actual details, but it can be done.

What does your lightweight brake kit consist of? I’ve been looking for something lighter and smaller than stock but using parts store parts not aftermarket calipers and fancy aluminum top hat/2 piece rotors. I’ve seen brackets that use the old gm (1/2 ton?) calipers and the stock rotors I think. I have some other ideas but???

What does your lightweight brake kit consist of? I’ve been looking for something lighter and smaller than stock but using parts store parts not aftermarket calipers and fancy aluminum top hat/2 piece rotors. I’ve seen brackets that use the old gm (1/2 ton?) calipers and the stock rotors I think. I have some other ideas but???

See post #2

See post #2

Noted, thanks.

Just an FYI you can cut the casting, then cut the tubes and just flip them making it a passenger side drop. The shafts fit back in, it all measures out.

One of the you tube guys did this and did a video about it.
And, if you're refering to Nate / Dirt Lifestyle, I believe he scrapped the whole thing because the pinion location still sucks.

And, if you're refering to Nate / Dirt Lifestyle, I believe he scrapped the whole thing because the pinion location still sucks.
Yeah, last I saw he had it going under that Land Rover. I assumed it was still there

Has to be better then a 14 bolt built to chevy 60 specs :barf:

He went with a custom axle but still a 60.

I'm confused. Did you watch the video ? He ended up with a custom housing 05+ SD60 axle.
I skipped through, he kinda annoys me sometimes.

The part where he has “2004 SD60 Inner C’s” labeled on his “Pass Side Fusion 4x4 60” drawing is why I asked. I didn’t watch all the way through to see what the final axle actually looked like.
IMG_6898.png

So he did go with 04?

This is confusing.
As I understand it, the first axle he changed to PS drop was an 04 he had laying in his shop. When he went to the custom Fusion 4x4 housing he had them use 04 inner C's so he could keep the knuckles and brakes he already had.

As I understand it, the first axle he changed to PS drop was an 04 he had laying in his shop. When he went to the custom Fusion 4x4 housing he had them use 04 inner C's so he could keep the knuckles and brakes he already had.
Okay so back to my original question, why go 04 if you’re going full custom.

I know Ian Johnson has said he prefers 99-04 but I think that was just a price reason, but I don’t fully remember if there’s some other advantage he talked about.

If Nate did it for knuckles and brakes he already had then what a confusing little lecture at the end where he basically toots his own horn and says he’s just going to buy all new stuff

Okay so back to my original question, why go 04 if you’re going full custom.

I know Ian Johnson has said he prefers 99-04 but I think that was just a price reason, but I don’t fully remember if there’s some other advantage he talked about.

If Nate did it for knuckles and brakes he already had then what a confusing little lecture at the end where he basically toots his own horn and says he’s just going to buy all new stuff
The only reasons to run a 99-04 axle.
1. To run yukon lockouts (someone pointed out chromoly gears for 05+ lockouts Rcv makes but I have yet to hear about real world feedback)
2. To go to 5 or 6 lug outers can’t do that with 05+ stuff
3. You got it cheap and you can machine unit bearings yourself. Buy the time you buy unit bearings to run 35 spline shafts it’s more than an 05+ axle.

I’m running one because of reason 1,3

I know Ian Johnson likes them because they’re cheap and easier to clean up. Plus I bet his unit bearings are all sponsored so reason #3 doesn’t exist for him.

Top Back Refresh