What's new

Win!

for backing down a ramp at slow speeds they werent

not even sure why drum brakes and bias tires would make any kind of meaningful difference in a situation like that compared to modern radials and disk brakes
lack of power brakes would kinda require more effort but that's about it.

lack of power brakes would kinda require more effort but that's about it.
not really
you ever driven a car with proper factory manual brakes? They got different pedal ratios and hydraulic cylinder size ratios than power brake cars.
They don't got too much pedal effort and generally you can lock the tires up pretty easy.

Drums/discs only really matters in regards to heat, actually when they're cold and dry, good self-energizing drums grab way better than discs

not really
you ever driven a car with proper factory manual brakes? They got different pedal ratios and hydraulic cylinder size ratios than power brake cars.
They don't got too much pedal effort and generally you can lock the tires up pretty easy.

Drums/discs only really matters in regards to heat, actually when they're cold and dry, good self-energizing drums grab way better than discs
Yes. Took more effort than modern shit by a long shot. That said, it wasn't exactly in great shape and the rear drums were probably full of gear oil.

I know that drums will sometimes self energize real good. All my drum brakes rear end do that for the first stop in the rain. Doesn't really apply when you're going backwards though.

Truth, we often need to cut in a 2nd master cylinder to the rear brakes for filming (:mad3:stunt drivers cant do shit unless the rears lock up:mad3:). Cars and light trucks are easy but when you get into medium duty sized stuff, drums fucking rule!

Yes. Took more effort than modern shit by a long shot. That said, it wasn't exactly in great shape and the rear drums were probably full of gear oil.

I know that drums will sometimes self energize real good. All my drum brakes rear end do that for the first stop in the rain. Doesn't really apply when you're going backwards though.
only certain styles don't self energize in reverse

all the single-anchor ones will do the same f-r (some with cut down lining on the primary shoes will actually grab harder in reverse)
double anchor drums will be biased to one direction, but they also have half the self-energizing power to begin with so you might not notice it so much

only certain styles don't self energize in reverse

all the single-anchor ones will do the same f-r (some with cut down lining on the primary shoes will actually grab harder in reverse)
double anchor drums will be biased to one direction, but they also have half the self-energizing power to begin with so you might not notice it so much
I've only seen two styles. One where the cylinder pushes on both ends and one where the cylinder pushes on one end.

All my shit has the one where both push.

20297-11288.jpg
modern_drum_brake.jpg

My old F250 had 4 wheel drum brakes without power assist. Normal pedal force was really only a littler higher than newer vehicles until you had to panic stop, then it was significantly higher. My only real complaint was the fact that if you wanted that dang truck to stop in a straight line and stop well, those drum brakes took constant maintenance. And by constant I mean, I was tweaking the adjusters every 5-6k miles or so. I got pretty good at setting them by feel. Rarely took a second adjustment after a quick test drive and hard stop.
Well that, and I could never seem to get shoes to last any more than about 12k miles before I'd look at them and give them that funny face where I'm like "..ehhh... you should be replaced...".

I've only seen two styles. One where the cylinder pushes on both ends and one where the cylinder pushes on one end.

All my shit has the one where both push.

20297-11288.jpg
modern_drum_brake.jpg
bottom is god's own bendix single anchor duo servo self adjusting drum brake
I should start a church/cult about those things, they are god's gift to the braking world

top one is some kinda wierdass single anchor single-servo brake, usually I see double anchor single servo brakes, you know the kind with two separate wheel cylinders top and bottom

bottom is god's own bendix single anchor duo servo self adjusting drum brake
I should start a church/cult about those things, they are god's gift to the braking world
They're definitely the pinnacle of hydraulic drums but I prefer discs. Discs are way more DIY repairable at 11pm due to fewer and simpler moving parts. Pad slaps also take way less time and they never get full of oil/grease.

top one is some kinda wierdass single anchor single-servo brake,
It's old school hydraulic brake trailer stuff.

usually I see double anchor single servo brakes, you know the kind with two separate wheel cylinders top and bottom
Never seen 'em.

how tf didn't that suck water the intake is down in the nose on those fuckers ain't it?

how tf didn't that suck water the intake is down in the nose on those fuckers ain't it?
i could be wrong but i think the intake is in the rear hatch

on second thought never mind thinking of something else im a :homer:

well actually i was right, its in the trunk :laughing:

proud 15yr return veteran here :flipoff2:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen:flipoff2:

proud 15yr return veteran here :flipoff2:
when my daughter was still in her car seat I never returned the cart, but did put it out of the way
Somehow leaving my kid in a hot car, unattended while I did things that others judged me by I guess makes me a bad person
I could have ran the AC and returned the cart, yet I am leaving my kid in a running car unattended, but that would make me a bad parent

The better test if the door lock test.

when my daughter was still in her car seat I never returned the cart, but did put it out of the way
Somehow leaving my kid in a hot car, unattended while I did things that others judged me by I guess makes me a bad person
I could have ran the AC and returned the cart, yet I am leaving my kid in a running car unattended, but that would make me a bad parent
confirmed, self-important asshole

thinks their kid is overly fragile, too :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh