What's new

Win!

Wow. Wonder what the Romans would think of that speed?

FSvGA_tWUAMh7Z4.jpg
HTF did he do that? Glass cockpit so he could watch what he's drawing?

The word hero is very over-used these days. This is catapult officer Lieutenant Walter Chewning aboard the Enterprise, rushing to pull a pilot out of a plane in flames, loaded with thousands of lbs of explosives and gasoline. Nov. 1943.

X-Blgq7&tn=8_VZshVPIE0DbiWn&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.jpg
Cool.

https://www. reddit.com/r/TheWayWeWere/comments/dx0208/my_great_grandfather_lt_walter_chewning_jumping/

My great grandfather, Lt. Walter Chewning jumping onto a burning plane to save the pilot, they both survived

Chewning was 29 at the time, and had studied at Cornell and M.I.T. before joining the Navy. He later won a Bronze Star, and went on to work in R&D for the USAF and NASA.

Johnson (the pilot) was 23, and had studied at Wesleyan. He later claimed eight aerial victories, was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross twice, and became a lawyer after the war.

The afternoon of November 10, Johnson took off in F6F Hellcat Number 30 for a routine training exercise. He immediately developed engine trouble and requested an emergency landing. He was waved off three times as he struggled to maintain control, but his tail hook caught the third arresting gear wire, and Johnson's Hellcat was slammed into the deck, coming to rest in the port catwalk near 20mm (.78 caliber) Oerlikon anti-aircraft guns.

The plane came to rest on its external belly fuel tank, which started to leak. As the engine vibrated horribly as the propeller bent itself on the deck, sparks ignited the fuel. The hard landing had jammed Johnson's canopy closed, shearing the retaining pin; he could not exit the plane. Chewning, who had joined the ship October 2, 1943 as Enterprise new catapult officer, scrambled out of the catwalk and came through the smoke. Stepping on the burning belly tank, he forced open the canopy and pulled Johnson to safety.

While Johnson escaped unscathed, Ensign S. S. Osbourne had to ditch while waiting for Hellcat Number 30 to clear the flight deck. USS Brown (DD-546) picked Osbourne up. Both Hellcats (Bureau Numbers 25974 and 25985) were a total loss. Chewning was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his actions.

uuhh guys, that doesn’t look solar powered, or electric, are they purposely trying to kill the planet? Where is the outrage?

Comical that they use the inclement weather saying a helicopter with instruments just for that purpose can’t fly, yet they think that same safety team will let a bunch of nurses with these packs on fly around. :lmao:

Why do I have the feeling that within a few years the “Medics” issued these jetpacks will be heavily armed and have no medical training?
Because that's obviously what it's gonna be for.

Should be mostly balanced out by one of those paintball/airsoft sentry gun things with a Remington 1100 and IR camera.

Hit the pressure tank of propellant.

Isolating yourself as a target out in the open with a giant pressure vessel strapped to your back is awful dumb. :homer:
I don't think these are for contested airspace. I think they're for getting the jump on people who are already easy to get the jump on.

Wow. Wonder what the Romans would think of that speed?

HTF did he do that? Glass cockpit so he could watch what he's drawing?
It was believed for centuries that the human body couldn’t handle speeds above 50 or 60 mph.

Hit the pressure tank of propellant.

Isolating yourself as a target out in the open with a giant pressure vessel strapped to your back is awful dumb. :homer:
When 20 of them fly out of the back of a truck and you find out hey are UAVs then shits going to get scary. That combined with the AI drones. Hope for an EMP.

Top Back Refresh