What's new

Why are people making just a big deal about the eclipse?

I seriously didn't' think I would notice the traffic increase here,damn, I was wrong. I went to the "big city" (Fort Smith) for a GFCI and dog food. Holy shiznit. I couldn't live where people drive like that all the time.

My folks live near Caribou. The pink line means what?

The path of totality, the path where the moons perfectly blocks out the sun. Near the bottom of each of the lines you can see examples of how much of the sun will be covered. That's why every airbnb within that stripe is booked out across every state

Last edited:
We are building the on/off ramps for the I-69/I-465 interchange ramps ( Indianapolis ) and the contractor gave everyone the day off for the eclipse. WTF?
Yeah no pay, great.

What's so unique about this one? I remember several when I was in school.

Looks like another total eclipse won't come this way in my lifetime. Dad and I are going to head out to the family ranch, drive to the top of the hill where you can see miles upon miles in every direction, and take in the sights.

The last one that took this path was in -1811
There's been at least 2 I can recall when I was in school in the 90s visible in Maine.
I remember grade school, maybe 1992-93ish the janitor/bus driver/handyman let us pass his welding helmet around to watch it. (1-6 grade, maybe 150 kids tops)

Probably more, just unimportant to me and I just remember Mr Cyr being a "hero" when he busted out that Vietnam surplus welding hood.

They different eclipses or something?

Last edited:
There's been at least 2 I can recall when I was in school in the 90s visible in Maine.
I remember grade school, maybe 1992-93ish the janitor/bus driver/handyman let us pass his welding helmet around to watch it. (1-6 grade, maybe 150 kids tops)

Probably more, just unimportant to me and I just remember Mr Cyr being a "hero" when he busted out that Vietnam surplus welding hood.

They different eclipses or something?
The difference is the degree of eclipsing. This will be my many number eclipse but my first "totality" which should leave the circle with the visible aura [or whatever the splash of sun is called] without needing a telescope

1000000837.jpg

I'm curious why its being drilled into the masses to pay attention to the eclipse.

That'd kinda make me wanna look the other way. They're cool to see, and wander about all those dang "lucky breaks" that made us possible, with a very convenient moon size so it puts on a purty neat show.

But all of this hooplah about a fuggin eclipses n shiet sounds like a buncha hooey.

:flipoff2::homer:

Both of my kids schools are dismissing early for it. Here in Hancock County we should get about 96% totality. Northern areas of Maine are set for 100% and are expecting tons of tourists to come up for it. Ive seen a lot of out of state plates around the last few days so I'd say those predictions are accurate. It's too early still for the normal tourists to be arriving.

I don't think anything is going to happen buuuuuut this is clown world so I'm taking a larger freedom seed dispenser with me to work with several seed containers just in case I have issues getting back to my place to pick up more of them before grabbing my girl and heading to my brother's place.

My house, work and surrounding towns are in the path of 100% totality. I haven't left the house since yesterday but I'm sure the out of state tards are piling in as we speak.

No plans for tomorrow except go to work and deal with 4min of darkness around 1:30 or so.

We are in Brady TX eating some baller BBQ currently. Headed SE towards Buchanan lake when finished up, we have a spot reserved at one of the campgrounds there.

At this point the weather looks like its gone to shit. Clouded over and thunderstorm pushing in tomorrow. So my hopes are that at least some of the peeps in the area for the eclipse have already bailed. We have friends in Miles TX, so we were happy to make the trip for a vacation and to see them. Seeing the eclipse will just make it all the more fun, provided it isnt clouded over for the whole thing.

It'll be a 92.25% totality where I am and I'll be working on roof top equipment of a taller building while it's going on.

Lots of people on my town's local page are freaking out because all of the eclipse viewing glasses are sold out everywhere. I told them to buy a welding helmet, at least they'll have something useful after it's over. :laughing:

eclipse weld.jpg

We’re getting like 48% so I’ll wander outside and check it out, assuming no clouds.

Friend of mine is going to be on a commercial flight during the whole thing by happenstance. I told him dibs on his stuff. :laughing:

I’m assuming all the worries about congestion and miscellaneous issues is because someone has been through Yellowstone and noticed human behavior. Every damn chipmunk causes a roadblock so I would expect humans to be even dumber about an eclipse of any %.

I'm curious why its being drilled into the masses to pay attention to the eclipse.

That'd kinda make me wanna look the other way. They're cool to see, and wander about all those dang "lucky breaks" that made us possible, with a very convenient moon size so it puts on a purty neat show.

But all of this hooplah about a fuggin eclipses n shiet sounds like a buncha hooey.

:flipoff2::homer:
Facebook is down right now. Could I be lucky enough for Red Dawn to Kick off tomorrow morning?

Top Back Refresh