What's new

Why are people making just a big deal about the eclipse?

I remember my dad making an eclipse box and bringing it to school and standing outside with the class and watching it in 1994. Back to class after that LOL!!! Everything is a damn panic and emergency now (shakes rake at cloud)
If you have to use a box to see the shadow of the eclipse it's not that cool. But if you're in the path of the total shadow it's pretty neat to see the sunshine on the hills in the distance while you're in the dusk and crickets are chirping.

My girlfriend wants to go see it since we're about a 3 hour drive from the path of the totality. But I know traffic will be a clusterfuck and it will be an all day event for 3 minutes of dim light. Plus I've seen it before...

If you have to use a box to see the shadow of the eclipse it's not that cool. But if you're in the path of the total shadow it's pretty neat to see the sunshine on the hills in the distance while you're in the dusk and crickets are chirping.

My girlfriend wants to go see it since we're about a 3 hour drive from the path of the totality. But I know traffic will be a clusterfuck and it will be an all day event for 3 minutes of dim light. Plus I've seen it before...
It was cool when I was in grade school when that occured.

Experiencing totality is awesome. There's something wrong with you if you think it's dumb. It's one of mother natures best shows!
Easy there, Mr. Nimoy :laughing:

For those bagging on the eclipse, what do you find interesting?
Not bagging on it, just . . . "meh" - been there, done that, understand the physics, not my first beer.

And this one is pretty widespread, across some heavily populated areas. It's a great opportunity to see it happen.

Closing schools I get, any religious issues are just crazy people.
People in the ancient times thought an eclipse was a sign from god.

It isn't?
No, it's a sign from the Field Service Manual :flipoff2:

1711727316218.png

Last edited:
Experiencing totality is awesome. There's something wrong with you if you think it's dumb. It's one of mother natures best shows!

For those bagging on the eclipse, what do you find interesting?
The Earth orbits the sun. The moon orbits the Earth...at different rates of speed so eventually they cross paths. If you understand basic math, you too can actually predict the next one and on what path....:flipoff2:

What do I find interesting? Things not expected and predicted. 🤷‍♂️

The Earth orbits the sun. The moon orbits the Earth...at different rates of speed so eventually they cross paths. If you understand basic math, you too can actually predict the next one and on what path....:flipoff2:

What do I find interesting? Things not expected and predicted. 🤷‍♂️

Wrong, wrong, wrong...the earth is at the center of the universe. The sun orbits the earth.

And the earth is flat.

And the moon landing was faked.

Maybe we could have national holidays at noon and midnight.

No, no, no, I'm serious here - check this out:

All the clock hands point straight up, it's fucking spooky :eek:

time-clock.gif

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Wife and I talked about this exact thing last night. If this was happening else where, I would by no means travel to see it. However, I find it super cool that my house is smack dab under the totality line. I bought my family the glasses, and we will be selling brisket sandwiches along the side of the road, so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Last time we had one they were talking about not looking directly at the sun. I watched it in the middle our works parking lot through my welding shield. It was pretty cool to see, I'm off work so I'll probably check it out.

The next total eclipse to pass over the US won’t happen for another 20 years, so it’s pretty rare. Granted some people are making more out of it than even I would, but it’s pretty cool.
Is it different than the one we had 10/14/23? I barley heard anything about that one when I took this pic. The one happening on the 8th is being talked about everywhere and I can't understand why.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 2.45.07 PM.png

Is it different than the one we had 10/14/23? I barley heard anything about that one when I took this pic. The one happening on the 8th is being talked about everywhere and I can't understand why.

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 2.45.07 PM.png

Yeah that one was an annular eclipse, the distance ratio between moon, sun, and earth gives that "ring of fire" that you witnessed. With a total eclipse like this upcoming one, the moon is essentially blocking out the entire sun besides the corona

Timeline+of+annular+and+total+solar+eclipses.jpg

Just for grins, here's a map of all eclipses through 2030. Orange are annular, yellow are total.

DecadalEclipseMaps_2021-2030.jpg

It’s neat, but I have no idea why people are going full retard this time.

Social media would be my best guess.
People are fucking sheep.

Don’t you know, the path of the last total eclipse & the path of this one cross at New Madrid, MO = the country is gonna be split in half! 😆
😄
🤨
😬

It was cool when I was in grade school when that occured.
Yeah but it's an entirely different experience to have the sun totally blocked out and to stand in the shade of the moon rather than looking at a shadow in a box.

Top Back Refresh