What's new

Why are people making just a big deal about the eclipse?

If you have to use a box to see the shadow of the eclipse it's not that cool. But if you're in the path of the total shadow it's pretty neat to see the sunshine on the hills in the distance while you're in the dusk and crickets are chirping.

My girlfriend wants to go see it since we're about a 3 hour drive from the path of the totality. But I know traffic will be a clusterfuck and it will be an all day event for 3 minutes of dim light. Plus I've seen it before...

Yeah, the lighting is really cool. A lot cooler than the actual eclipse IMO.

1712164069384.png

Don’t you know, the path of the last total eclipse & the path of this one cross at New Madrid, MO = the country is gonna be split in half! 😆
😄
🤨
😬
I did a job in New Madrid years ago. It would be a blessing if that shithole fell into a chasm created by a massive earthquake.

Saw one a few years ago. Was cool but nothing I would travel for.

My wife's work (Dr) had an eclipse party at their office and I hung out there on my "lunch break". No need to watch another. :laughing:

The idea of space and how big the universe and beyond is still new to the human race. That is why. Kind of like how people still get excited about their paycheck hitting their bank account when they are 19 years old.

At the store today end caps:

Sun chips & blue moon

Moon pies & sunny d [for the moon over the sun]

Fruit loops & Texas pecans [for the visitor influx into town] :rasta:

Wife just told me we're supposed to keep the dogs inside during the end of the world.

Me: Why?

Her: Supposedly they'll freak out, look at the sun and they'll go blind.

Me: Abe Lincoln post that on Facebook?

We were in the path of totality for the last big eclipse in casper Wyoming.
It was absolutely nuts all the people who came for it. Stupid neighbor was renting out spots for campers in his field next door. He got 3 people.
The interstate was a parking lot for hours as everyone all tried to go home at the same time.
I was in Colorado for work so I missed the shenanigans. Dark in the middle of the day was quite an occurrence.
If I was closer, I would go watch this one from my brother's place in TX. He's not in the totality zone, but pretty close.

I live in the total zone, in the line for the absolute best viewing of the eclipse. There's definitely a lot more traffic than normal. The jokes on them though, because there isn't shit to do until Monday

Our town is putting on a full blown festival all weekend for it. Stuff going on friday, saturday, nights as well as stuff going on sunday. We are in the total path in southern Ill. All hotels are full, campgrounds full. School closed, business shut down. I think its neat and If I was maybe an hour away from totality I would drive to it but much further than that I would just watch from home.

Nice yesterday, cloudy and cold today and for the rest of the weekend :laughing:

Still a little busier than normal, every corner has somebody selling BBQ or cookies or whatever. About to walk to town center for the festival and see what's going on.

Be nice if it was warmer :laughing:

We're about as far away from totality as you can get < 14% and people here are stupid over it, well they're stupid in general but this has ratcheted it up by a ton.

Cruising through the stores this week has been a laugh mostly and sometimes I wanna hit you in the head once in a while.

It goes like this, frantic shopper usually a woman asks "do you know where the eclipse glasses are"? I will answer with the no need it's only going to be around 14% and the forecast is for rain, regular sunglasses will be fine.

This will get me a thank you I didn't know that about 30% of the time, the other 70% they will double down and tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

The prize for the biggest idiot was a Karen who argued with me while waving a open magazine, she showed me an article with a smug look, I pointed out where it said we wouldn't have enough to even notice, then showed her the map. Double down Karen all of a sudden I am an Ahole and the magazine is wrong.:lmao:

I felt sorry for her kids.

Top Back Refresh