What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

OEM refurbished pump is on the way, new gears and sonnax drain back.
Old pump has all the upgraded plungers and shit that improve shifting and non-sluggish R, I'll just swap that all over.
Going to buy an external spin on filter, hopefully that catches most of the aluminum dust.
Swapped the transgo boost valve into the new pump, but left the rest alone.
Derale external 21mic filter installed. PN 13090. Nice kit, and a small block Ford oil filter fits for more filter surface area.
Threw the trans back in, warmed it up, test drive it....and no third gear.
Now to pull the valve body and clean it grrrr:mad3::mad3:

Swapped the transgo boost valve into the new pump, but left the rest alone.
Derale external 21mic filter installed. PN 13090. Nice kit, and a small block Ford oil filter fits for more filter surface area.
Threw the trans back in, warmed it up, test drive it....and no third gear.
Now to pull the valve body and clean it grrrr:mad3::mad3:
No 3rd :confused: huh, weird

Pretty common for that valve to get stuck, without extra aluminum dust floating around:homer:
Hoping a good cleaning will do the trick. I flushed it, added the external filter, and added two gal of new fluid.
mine's been stuck for the last several thousand miles
won't 2-3, but it'll 3-2 and 2-4 and 1-2 and 2-1 and...

you just wind out second in D, let off the pedal while you bump the shifter into N, pull the shifter back into D, then get back on the throttle
NBD

Actually it'll 2-3 once when cold, soon as it warms up you gotta do the shifter dance

mine's been stuck for the last several thousand miles
won't 2-3, but it'll 3-2 and 2-4 and 1-2 and 2-1 and...

you just wind out second in D, let off the pedal while you bump the shifter into N, pull the shifter back into D, then get back on the throttle
NBD

Actually it'll 2-3 once when cold, soon as it warms up you gotta do the shifter dance
It shifted into 3 when cold, when I first spun it on the lift, so I'm pretty confident it's the valve being hung up.

Almost done with the engine rebuild, paint being applied :flipoff2: :rasta:

20221106_140341.jpg

I forgot to put the support bars back under my soft tonneau cover while I was out of town for 2 weeks, so after some heavy rain both rails are bent pretty good from water pooling on the cover. Maybe 15 gallons or so. I got it taken off and in the garage to see if I can make it usable again. It came with the truck when I bought it 4 years ago, but it is handy to have.

Went to get a front end alignment yesterday at Big O Tire.
They got the Bronco on the rack/put mirror-reflector-thingy on the 4 tires:
1668040275070.png

They canceled/stopped it because they 'couldn't raise the front tires up enough' (to dangle). WTF 🤷‍♂️

They referred me to another shop/I made an appointment with them (for next Monday).
Asked them about said WTF/they mentioned something about Big O may have older equipment.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I just got done removing the block heater out of the wife's 2011 F150 4x4 with a 5.0.
May the engineer that chose the location burn in hell for all eternity.

It was leaking. It looks to be a common issue.
The hole is 3/4 NPT. I removed the block heater and put a pipe plug in.
We will never need the block heater.

I had to put my dog to rest last week (kidney disease compounded by pancreatitis) so that kept me from getting hardly anything done at all. The last time I had to pick him up from the vet my stupid car (2012 Lexus) wouldn't start and I had to rely on the 44 year old Ford to go get my pup. Ended up being the alternator on the car.

Yesterday I got back under the hood and found that my dumbass must have been rushing (usually the case) when I installed the intake > EGR plate gasket because the EGR port on the gasket was on the wrong side and tore up but still sealing. I popped all of that off, cleaned up all of the surfaces and ordered new gaskets.

I also determined that my off-idle hesitation was probably from the EGR opening too much too soon so I'm going to either throw a delay valve inline or put some effort into getting all of the smog stuff set-up 100% and just run it all of the time instead of taking it off after SMOG testing (vacuum canister, amplifier, and load valve).

And some pics because they're Fords and why not? Last ride in the truck:
IMG_2228.jpg

Cruising around downtown Norfolk, VA back in the day:
IMG_20190429_100053.jpg

First weekend home from the shelter when we got him:
bronco rux.jpg

R.I.P. Ruxin.

New shoes today. Falken wildpeaks in 285/75/16. Came out to about $312 per tire out the door. Old tires came on the truck, Firestone destination le2, ran great down the highway, zero traction in snow, and had a huge crack between the treads on the outside. They had enough tread left and were only made in the beginning of 2017, but that crack was way too big for me to continue running. Needed these tires to be able to pick up a deep freeze next week.

Been beating on a project ranger trying to get ready for a run Sunday.
Whoever put this thing together the first time was even more of a hack than me.
I’m just about ready to do another test drive after about 100 hours of fixing/changing various bullshit on it.
I knew it wasn’t going to be fun when I saw the stacked blocks, double overload springs, too big ubolts and loose ladder bars.
But I’m into an EB running gear ranger cheap so I’ll quit my bitching.

For reference 4.5” rubicon express coils for an xj are 1” taller free standing than the 4.5” f150 coils that were in it. It dropped 5” of ride height in the nose when I swapped! Should be a Cush ride.

I don’t have the time to fix the shock hoops and put decent long shocks on now. For snow wheeling it will work I hope.

I cut the front fenders 1”. The rears I’m leaving alone because I’m trading the box off for enough steel to build a flatbed.

Total lift is about 2” of suspension and a (soon to be deleted) 3” body lift. I’ll cut fenders more then.

35” tires btw.

Attachments

• 3529890C-32EC-4233-AD89-55B87DAA2E7F.jpeg
    3529890C-32EC-4233-AD89-55B87DAA2E7F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Had to drop the starter in my ‘86 this morning. Starter motor would turn just fine, but the bendix was givin me the finger.

I tried some love taps with a big wrench that was handy. Then some with a hammer. Then some more with the hammer. Finally, tried some more whacks with bigger hammer. I really didn’t want to have to drop it, it’s only 2 mounting bolts, and one for the power cable, and is easy to get to, but was about 8 degrees, and I just wasn’t feelin it.

So, anyway, I dropped it and pulled it apart on the tailgate. Nothing obviously wrong. Squirted it out, wiped out/off a little gunk, cleaned brushes and connections, and threw it back together.

Been working good since, but we will see how she does tomorrow morning, got one more load to move to the new house.

Does Ford powered count? Gonna be a cross posting mother fawker in here. Dragged this out of a garage in socal after sitting for about 40 years.

34286.jpeg
66 sunbeam tiger. Ford 260 and a bunch of British garbage I have to fix.

From our friends in the auto lane as we are in the truck lane coming over the grapevine north of Los Angeles.

Top Back Refresh