What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

Mine are necessities :mad3: :frown: :
1) Motor mounts
2) Headgaskets

So, the head gasket job will suck. But on my Bronco, it's all necessities, because everything, and I mean everything, is worn out. I'd take a head gasket over the whole truck. Mine needed motor mounts, transmission mount, carburetor, new ignition system (TFI to Duraspark), new gauges, new starter, new battery, new turn signal switch, whatever else I'm forgetting. The rear pinion seal on the 8.8 is loose as hell, so it's getting a rebuilt Ford 9", the leaves are worn out, shocks are all worn out, every u-joint is loose, every wheel bearing is garbage, every ball joint is junk, the steering is all worn out and loose, the rag joints on the steering shaft are junk, the intake gasket is leaking, the exhaust manifold has a hole in it...all of this is a necessity just to drive it down the road straight and reliably. :laughing:

The cooling system is full of rust, so that's why it's getting replaced.

Yeah, remember all this when you're doing that head gasket job. :flipoff2:

So, the head gasket job will suck. But on my Bronco, it's all necessities, because everything, and I mean everything, is worn out. I'd take a head gasket over the whole truck.

Mine needed
motor mounts, <--to be done
transmission mount,
carburetor,
new ignition system (TFI to Duraspark), <--3 years ago
new gauges,
new starter, <--yup, last year; AND I have to replace it again!
new battery, <--yup
new turn signal switch, <--yup
whatever else I'm forgetting.

The rear pinion seal on the 8.8 is loose as hell, so it's getting a rebuilt Ford 9", the leaves are worn out, shocks are all worn out, every u-joint is loose, every wheel bearing is garbage, every ball joint is junk, the steering is all worn out and loose, the rag joints on the steering shaft are junk, the intake gasket is leaking, the exhaust manifold has a hole in it...all of this is a necessity just to drive it down the road straight and reliably. :laughing:

The cooling system is full of rust, so that's why it's getting replaced.

Yeah, remember all this when you're doing that head gasket job. :flipoff2:

I'll add my list from 4 years ago:
Alternator <--yup
pulley wheel/idler wheel <--yup
water pump <--yup
heater hoses <--to be done
radiator <--to be done

I replaced the factory starter last year with an OEM med-of-the-line starter.

The fucker is already going out! :mad3: :mad3:

IN AND OF ITSELF; I understand that it's to be expected for a 27y.o./252,000 mile rig.

It's my impatience having to divert my limited funds from my upgrades (1ton front axle/gears/lockers) to replacing worn out parts.

I'll add my list from 4 years ago:
Alternator <--yup
pulley wheel/idler wheel <--yup
water pump <--yup
heater hoses <--to be done
radiator <--to be done

I replaced the factory starter last year with an OEM med-of-the-line starter.

The fucker is already going out! :mad3: :mad3:

IN AND OF ITSELF; I understand that it's to be expected for a 27y.o./252,000 mile rig.

It's my impatience having to divert my limited funds from my upgrades (1ton front axle/gears/lockers) to replacing worn out parts.

I get it. I’ve got two projects going on: insulate and get the pellet stove hooked up in the shop so I can work on the Bronco this winter. Fix Bronco.

Then the taxidermist called and said I have a mount done. Ugh. The timing!

photo26965.jpg

well, they say......that is better then driving a chevota..... they.

I don't know...my Chevys run better than my current Ford. :flipoff2:

In all seriousness, I can never go back to Jeep or Dodge. Haven't owned a Toyota yet as our winters put a hurting on them. But, the engineering with Chevy and Ford, while not perfect, is far preferable than Jeep/Dodge. At least when comparing everything I've worked on.

“I’m just going to replace this one little thing....” and it’s snowballed:flipoff2: Good luck man, it sounds like you’ve got a solid plan. I can’t wait to see if you can run highway speeds at less than 3000rpm when you have it back together

I’ve also got a mint condition cab with a rear sliding window I want to swap out, and a core support. Not to mention a FITech fuel injection system, bucket seats, 3g alternator, gilmer belt drive, I also need to raise the truck by 3” to clear the 44” boggers on the truck. (I’ve cut all I could off the service bed.)

Other items include:
move the batteries to the back of the truck
both driveshafts need to be altered
modify cab for all the shifters
new gauge cluster
build center console
Clean up the wiring
install stereo system and c.b
install tow package
mount 12k winch on the rear of the truck
limit straps front and rear
fab bumpstops mounts for the front axle, need to charge all four air bumps
design and fabricate roll cage
Paint?!?

I think I’ve reached past the point of snowballing.:laughing:

Well, at least the 44s help to explain why that input shaft on the np435 is toast. Any plans on a build thread?

I’ve been taking pictures of my progress, I may put it all together in a thread. Time is my most precious commodity at the moment.

Dealing with windshield washer nozzles. The OEM ones disintegrate, and the Dorman which I can get locally are crap. Seems like I have plenty of flow and pressure from the pump. Pattern sucks and and aims way too low.

Scored a Mustang tank to put under the rear of my highboy. I have a cell in the bed now which works well but having to climb in the bed to fill up and not having a gas gauge are really annoying.

Usually run 35s for road trips
Edit, damn still trying to figure posting pics

Ranger overdrive finally showed up. Started the install this weekend. The bolts do not fit on the shifter side of the Ranger. I knew I should have made some studs.

B78D1D96-826E-4A2D-9F68-CEBA16540897.jpeg

30F1CCB1-E2B8-424F-A28B-DB75CDBBDD9D.jpeg

More winterizing We use bronco all summer for a shooting platform, sub zero temps stopped that. Put the soft top on, er... screwed the tarp on to keep the snow and cold out.
IMG_20201019_164124.jpg

Took Wednesday off and replaced the hub actuators with the solid pieces. Also replaced the upper control arms. Replaced the lower ball joints and struts a little while back. It's a 2012 with the 5.0 and off road package.
20200525_120736.jpg

Actually drove it.

Finally renewed the registration the expired in June, aired up the tires, threw some gas in, and went to the dump.

Picked up a new headlight switch, and thought about fixing the non-functional wiper fluid pump, but it got cold, and I got lazy. Went inside to drink beer instead.

Decided to to take advantage of the not yet expired tabs on the highboy and rip it over to my buddy's shop to help him sort out a customers 4.9 truck that wouldn't start.

Opened up a can of paint...

'06 F350 6.0. CL seller had a full description on the truck and was real honest when I met up with him to buy it. Said everything in the fuel system was replaced and the water in fuel warning still wouldn't go away. Bet in my head that nobody had gone beyond pulling the drain plug. Just now got around to it today and holy shite. Whole pump housing was loaded with what appears to be straight up silver paint flakes. All I can figure is that somebody tried dumping tank sealer in to fix something. Either that or one or both heads went to a machine shop and the shop hosed them with that stupid silver paint that they like to put on aluminum heads and got the fuel rails full. Pic of my shirt sleeve where some dumped on me and dried.

Anyway, this is another process of elimination to figure out the intermittent stuttering and power loss. Working my way up the fuel system from back to front.

Edit: Just found out that it's from Ford coating the inside of their steel tanks with aluminum paint. Thanks, Ford.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201101_160558[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	602.7 KB ID:	180191
Click image for larger version Name:	20201101_161126[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	334.3 KB ID:	180192
Click image for larger version Name:	20201101_161142[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	317.4 KB ID:	180193
Click image for larger version Name:	20201101_171437[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	180194

Last edited:
Did head gaskets on my truck on the weekend. Next up is reseal the oil pan and fix the broken exhaust manifold stud.

photo30931.jpg

Opened up a can of paint...

'06 F350 6.0. CL seller had a full description on the truck and was real honest when I met up with him to buy it. Said everything in the fuel system was replaced and the water in fuel warning still wouldn't go away. Bet in my head that nobody had gone beyond pulling the drain plug. Just now got around to it today and holy shite. Whole pump housing was loaded with what appears to be straight up silver paint flakes. All I can figure is that somebody tried dumping tank sealer in to fix something. Either that or one or both heads went to a machine shop and the shop hosed them with that stupid silver paint that they like to put on aluminum heads and got the fuel rails full. Pic of my shirt sleeve where some dumped on me and dried.

Anyway, this is another process of elimination to figure out the intermittent stuttering and power loss. Working my way up the fuel system from back to front.

Edit: Just found out that it's from Ford coating the inside of their steel tanks with aluminum paint. Thanks, Ford.

]

Yup, good ol' cab and chassis tank liner. Titan makes a plastic replacement.

What's on the back of that old girl?
i got the wife's ford powered toy ready for winter wheelin .
IMG_20201105_154835.jpg

Made myself a pinion wrench for the Dana 80 rebuild and turned down a Harbor Freight socket to get the pinion nut off. HF was the only local place that had 1" sockets in stock. I've got a 65:1 torque multiplier with a 1" drive to crank the pinion nut off with.

20201108_155550[1].jpg
20201108_173544[1].jpg

Nice, almost looks like a Texas stitch.
Today was Bronco & daughter day out killing ground squirrels before snow later today.
IMG_1680.JPG

Top Back Refresh