What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

Do they still use the big black relays in that year? How many little studs does it have on it?
When you jump the studs does it crank but not start?

It cranks and starts before.

NOW; nothing, zip/zero/nada

F3914_Primary__ra_p.jpg

Undercoated the service bed on my 1976 150 with por15.

photo21502.jpg

It cranks and starts before.

NOW; nothing, zip/zero/nada

If you are jumping these two wires it should turn over. If it's not I would check the starter for loose connections.
As for the relay not working at all are you sure that you hooked the small wires to the correct studs? I believe that the S goes to the ignition switch for start and the I is for the ignition coil or something that needs 12v while cranking.
20200901_063449.jpg

If you are jumping these two wires it should turn over.

If it's not I would check the starter for loose connections.

As for the relay not working at all are you sure that you hooked the small wires to the correct studs? I believe that the S goes to the ignition switch for start and the I is for the ignition coil or something that needs 12v while cranking.

That's how I've been starting the engine for the past 6 months.

I'm going to check all connections today; to rule that out.

My relay doesn't have the 'I' terminal; only the 'S' (and the two bolts).

Checked connections; all tight.

However; the 18 month old starter solenoid was loose.

I wiggled it and then tried to jump-start it.

Started right up. :mad3: :rolleyes: :frown:

Is said solenoid bolted to the starter?

Or riveted?

Got my new to me camper shell all cleaned up and started to go through it and fix some of its little issues. Always was a sucker for these aluminum shells and this one was too good of a deal to pass up and looks good on the crawler hauler 😅 Need to get all of the lights working on it, reseal parts, clean up the wood paneling inside, and get some new cranks for the side windows to open up. Now i need to find another for the crawler/wheeler! I intended for this one to go on it but was too nice to go beat up offroad so I'm back on the hunt for number 2!

IMG_7061.JPG

IMG_7061.JPG

Checked connections; all tight.

However; the 18 month old starter solenoid was loose.

I wiggled it and then tried to jump-start it.

Started right up. :mad3: :rolleyes: :frown:

Is said solenoid bolted to the starter?

Or riveted?

Decided to go for an evening ride.

Instead of jump-starting the engine from the starter relay like I've been doing for the last 6 months; I tried the ignition.

Fucker started right up......:mad3: :rolleyes: :laughing:

It appears both issues with starting is coming from the 18 month old fuggin' starter.

Decided to go for an evening ride.

Instead of jump-starting the engine from the starter relay like I've been doing for the last 6 months; I tried the ignition.

Fucker started right up......:mad3: :rolleyes: :laughing:

It appears both issues with starting is coming from the 18 month old fuggin' starter.

FAWK I hate it when new parts fail so quickly or don't work out of the box. Where did you buy it from?

FAWK I hate it when new parts fail so quickly or don't work out of the box. Where did you buy it from?

Bought it on Amazon in June '19.

The solenoid is loose within its' housing.

Would the two screws holding the solenoid/housing tighten said solenoid?

It looks like it tightens just the housing.

My starter:
71AhHDKWXAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71AhHDKWXAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fucking around with this I found out I can start the engine with the ignition switch; but it's a crapshoot. :mad3: :rolleyes: :laughing: :frown:

Now the question is: How long can I milk this until I decide to replace it (and Winter is coming)?

The housing is snug; the solenoid is not.

I'm guessing that those two bolts tighten the solenoid AND housing as one.

Could I be wrong? :confused:

The bolts with the two arrows bolt the stator to the end bell.
The screws with the one arrow hold the solenoid to the end bell.
20200902_121730.jpg
20200902_121530.jpg

The bolts with the two arrows bolt the stator to the end bell.
The screws with the one arrow hold the solenoid to the end bell.

The screws with the one arrow:
Does it hold both the solenoid housing AND solenoid?

Or just the housing?

As I stated earlier; the solenoid is loose within its' housing and the housing is snug/tight.

If the screws with one arrow only hold the housing, then it would be useless to attempt to tighten those screws.

Correct?

The screws with the one arrow:
Does it hold both the solenoid housing AND solenoid?

Or just the housing?

As I stated earlier; the solenoid is loose within its' housing and the housing is snug/tight.

If the screws with one arrow only hold the housing, then it would be useless to attempt to tighten those screws.

Correct?

Then yes it would be useless because the black part is crimped to the steel housing on the solenoid.

Grabbed one of the FE's and put it for sale on Craig's List

Ydfm2yV.jpg

Changed oil in the half ton since I couldn't remember the last time I did, it's as bullet proofed as a 3v gets but I still short trip the ever living shit out of it.

I crawled under mine to look at the skid plates, since I want to change the front half that covers the transmission. I have never even scraped the trans plate and its trapping heat. Noticed the Atlas was leaking at the speedo cable attachment. Its been a on and off again deal. Need to pull the cable mount and add a little RTV to the threads.

Got my period correct (same year as the truck) CB mounted. Still debating on an antenna, I'd like a whip but I don't know about 8 1/2 feet of antenna hanging off an already tall truck.
IMG_20200905_161425.jpg

Ordered a Turn signal switch and some door rod clips so I can open my passenger door from the outside again.
Drove the bronco for a bit but was way too dang hot outside, like 118, so I came home to lay on the tile floor under the ceiling fan.

Dumb question:
Your rig went swimming?

Yeah.... a large branch under the water popped the inner plastic fender liner loose and down forcing water directly into the intake hole of the filter box while testing some modifications...
Fluke situation. Fluke being the stick would have knocked the inverted factory snorkel that would have normally been in there, which worked great but just loosely mounts. So there is a much different system there now ..

Bummer.

Top Back Refresh