What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

You ever have one of those days you should’ve never picked up the wrenches? I spent all day fixing my own screw ups. :laughing:

Put all my intake and manifold back together and couldn’t get it to start. Rewind to a month ago and I installed a tach. Well...thought the wire I cut was to the factory tach connection...nope. The ground to the ICM.

However, before I realized that I noticed the carb was dumping gas out of the gaskets. So tore it all down and cleaned it. Still did it.

I fixed the ground...then noticed a brass block on the ground. Yep, lost the ball and block, whatever they’re called (forgot by now), out of the bottom of the carb when I was spraying it out with carb cleaner.

Get all that put back together, in the meantime I ordered a fuel pressure regulator, dicked with the fuel lines, new fuel pump, the works. Only to find the exhaust is leaking where it bolts onto the manifold. I :mr-t: rigged it, so I had low expectations. My redneck ass is ordering a new flange end and flex pipe for a temp fix until I get around to doing a real exhaust job.

What a shitty day. But, better than being at work. :flipoff2:

You ever have one of those days you should’ve never picked up the wrenches? I spent all day fixing my own screw ups. :laughing:

Put all my intake and manifold back together and couldn’t get it to start. Rewind to a month ago and I installed a tach. Well...thought the wire I cut was to the factory tach connection...nope. The ground to the ICM.

However, before I realized that I noticed the carb was dumping gas out of the gaskets. So tore it all down and cleaned it. Still did it.

I fixed the ground...then noticed a brass block on the ground. Yep, lost the ball and block, whatever they’re called (forgot by now), out of the bottom of the carb when I was spraying it out with carb cleaner.

Get all that put back together, in the meantime I ordered a fuel pressure regulator, dicked with the fuel lines, new fuel pump, the works. Only to find the exhaust is leaking where it bolts onto the manifold. I :mr-t: rigged it, so I had low expectations. My redneck ass is ordering a new flange end and flex pipe for a temp fix until I get around to doing a real exhaust job.

What a shitty day. But, better than being at work. :flipoff2:

Damn dude, you sound like me trying to fix something.
I accidentally turned that work light on in that truck I posted last week and proceeded to destroy the battery.

Damn dude, you sound like me trying to fix something.
I accidentally turned that work light on in that truck I posted last week and proceeded to destroy the battery.

I don't usually have issues like that. But, I've been dealing with a lot at work this week. Just distracted.

I don't usually have issues like that. But, I've been dealing with a lot at work this week. Just distracted.

Exactly, I don't even know how I hit the switch (you can see it in the radiator support in the second picture) but I did. That's what happens when you're always thinking about the next thing that you have to do.

Exactly, I don't even know how I hit the switch (you can see it in the radiator support in the second picture) but I did. That's what happens when you're always thinking about the next thing that you have to do.

Yep.

Honestly, I commend the guys on here that have projects they've been working on for years. The amount of patience, and knowledge to maintain something like that is beyond my ability or comprehension. I took three or more weeks off the Bronco and came back to it, like, "What the fuck was this? Or that? What did this wire go to? Why is this fuel line cut?" :laughing:

Still at this damn thing. Been swinging sledge hammers at the pinion since last night. Went at it with penetrating oil, air chisel, and a 5 lb. splitting maul for most of today. Finally pounded it out of the bearing. Had to set up the torque multiplier again to get the smashed pinion nut off. A few more threads to go.

Got to peer behind the bearing a bit to see much of the pinion shaft dry and rusty looking. Guessing there's no slinger in there.

20201112_215457[1].jpg

Took delivery of my 05+ Dana 60 for next year's 1-ton swap. Then I pulled the steering box to replace the shitty repair someone had previously done to the frame where the box mounts.

Now I'm working on getting the pitman arm off the box but I'm having a hell of a time using a Lisle puller, air impact, heat, PB Blaster... Never had one this stuck, thinking about just cutting it if I can't get it tomorrow.

PXL_20201114_000257002.MP.jpg

PXL_20201114_194123347.MP.jpg

PXL_20201114_212906741.MP.jpg

Took delivery of my 05+ Dana 60 for next year's 1-ton swap. Then I pulled the steering box to replace the shitty repair someone had previously done to the frame where the box mounts.

Now I'm working on getting the pitman arm off the box but I'm having a hell of a time using a Lisle puller, air impact, heat, PB Blaster... Never had one this stuck, thinking about just cutting it if I can't get it tomorrow.

get it hot, rub a candle on it, try to get the wax to wick down into the splines. Then put the puller on it, crank that bitch to maximum pressure, and give the arm a few smacks with a hammer.
I've also left a puller on a stubborn one overnight and had it pop free with a little tap in the morning.

Funny thing, I was able to get the pitman arm off by just hitting it a bit harder (I was afraid of breaking something). Then I tried to figure out why the hell I "needed" to take it off in the first place and I think it had something to do with alcohol.

Anyway, got the steering-box frame-reinforcement/repair job done yesterday after hunting around for longer grade 8 bolts (in the end I had to put a nut and lock washer on the end because the threads on the inside of the frame were mostly stripped-out). Much better than the previous half-assed job someone else did (the previous plate cracked in all the same spots the frame did). Steering is way tighter than my expectations. Used 3/8" plate, thinking about adding another plate on the bottom part of the frame.

PXL_20201114_194120058.MP.jpg

PXL_20201114_212848038.MP.jpg

PXL_20201117_223738126.MP.jpg

PXL_20201118_011951001.jpg

PXL_20201118_232709716.MP.jpg

Had to replace a signal light receptacle in case I venture through town,
IMG_20201119_151757.jpg

you should start a build thread 👍

It would be very disappointing, just a $500 ($350 Ameribux) bronco I bought because it has an 8274, I figured a bit of thrashing and it would be a parts unit but low and behold 2yrs later I'm amazed the pos 351m is still ticking along, put in a spare spooled 3rd I had laying around, same with a TMR over the knuckle kit, built a turret/spare tire mount in the bed from an old spindle & hub, and installed plenty of gun/beer holders, we do a lot of varmint murdering.

beat the hell out of my steering-box to put a stock pitman arm back on, and did a driveway alignment

xosfWx3JQ3GSgGGrMr0s3w.jpg

I10ao6eoRDaSGqhTh1970Q.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got my under hood wiring cleaned up to where I like it (for now). When I do the interior I’ll rip into the dash and eliminate the unused wiring then.

A50BD686-0B2D-4371-90A0-228DC20F25E6.jpeg

FE655C27-1B28-4246-9281-5A856605955E.jpeg

1266BDE2-B693-45F5-84CE-87F1FB5A2557.jpeg

D64559A5-48F0-4333-995E-582B0EE536C2.jpeg

Getting my rear ready to go back together. Dies came in today. Dana 80 pinion thread is 1-1/4"-12. Good thing I got two dies. A little over half way done with chasing threads and the first die busted.

20201125_174239[1].jpg

The alternator/air pump bracket has been driving me nuts on this 300. So finally today I said screw it, pulled the bracket and cut the air pump part off. Hit the edges and shaped it with the grinder, then painted it.

Need a new alternator and redo all the alternator wirinf next.

E44D88BE-868D-40AD-A4F6-7421CCCB255B.jpeg

34432176-0613-4DCB-A59A-94628255A397.jpeg

1B593E29-94CF-4540-B4BF-25A1EC6CF299.png

Finally got the Dana 80 pinion threads usable and assembled the diff with new clutch packs. Still need to grab some aluminum pucks to machine down so I can pop the bearing race races into the housing after I scrub the years of caked on clutch material out of it.

20201129_165823[1].jpg

I replaced the rear shocks on the wife's car after work today. Tomorrow is quick struts for the front.

Made me some more tooling. $23 worth of scrap aluminum bar sections from Stoner Enterprises machined into pucks to pound bearing races in with. Scrubbed out the diff housing with K1. Hopefully putting bearing races in the housing tomorrow. Gonna bring the diff in the house tonight, heat the bearings and drop them on. Not looking forward to shoving the diff in the housing, but I'll do what I gotta do. Been a month without a ride.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201204_142057[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.5 KB ID:	221920

I installed weathertech mudflaps on the F350. /hard core

I've been testing the 'new' rear 1ton leaf springs/1ton axle/military tires with weight in the back of the Bronco; seeing how said Bronco handles.

Weight in the back with the stock leaf springs/8.8 axle/civilian tires (33"BFGs); said Bronco was unstable because it felt like 100% of the weight/cargo pivoted behind the axle.

With the new set up the Bronco is much more stable; instead of feeling all the weight pivoting from behind the axle, I feel the weight pivoting from the front leaf spring bolts/middle of Bronco/whole back half.

I've been testing the 'new' rear 1ton leaf springs/1ton axle/military tires with weight in the back of the Bronco; seeing how said Bronco handles.

Weight in the back with the stock leaf springs/8.8 axle/civilian tires (33"BFGs); said Bronco was unstable because it felt like 100% of the weight/cargo pivoted behind the axle.

With the new set up the Bronco is much more stable; instead of feeling all the weight pivoting from behind the axle, I feel the weight pivoting from the front leaf spring bolts/middle of Bronco/whole back half.

Move the front leaf hanger forward, move the rear hanger down, run a longer shackle and run a set of 66" '10(?) and later Superduty leaves. Made my F150 ride great and haul great after I figured out exactly what combination of leafs I did and didn't want in the pack (wound up being just the main leaf, the second leaf and a random aux leaf I had sitting around under all that).

Last edited:
Went to hook up my fuel lines a the pump and found the feed line connector clip busted. It slips one just fine, but won't clip. Guessing it's either 7/16" or 3/8" line. 0.410" tube OD. Parts stores should have the connector. I've never had much luck with assembling these nylon tube connections. The boiling water and hair dryer tricks never did much. If a store has the pigtail connector and PTC coupler, I'll go that route. Otherwise I gotta shove a new barbed connection in while heating with a hair dryer.

20201205_222506[1].jpg
20201205_222528[1].jpg

Pried my diff back out today. Tried to install it by myself yesterday. Put the spacers in first and couldn't hold the bearings races and the diff together to get it started. Pulled one spacer out and tried to tap it in last. Ended up fracturing it. Ordered a new one a bit ago. Sitting here wondering if I should buy a case spreader or just fight this thing with a neighbor to help.

photo36031.jpg

Finally collected the 16 lug studs and acorn lug nuts for the rear axle.

Also decided to relocate the rear upper shock mounts due to the axle being placed 5" rearward thereby causing shallow shock angle (45*).

Installed tonneau cover earlier this week.

Later this week: Weathertech floor mats. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh