What's new

What did you do for your ford today?

Ok🤔
What did you use as a vacuum?
When you refilled and bled it; did you simply turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock (back and forth) until all the air was out of the system?

This might be a Winter project.:grinpimp:
I used a suction gun to empty the reservoir, then unhooked where the hard line meets the hose to drain off the rest that I could. Then I dumped some new fluid in and hooked the hose and line back together to hopefully not have a huge air pocket. Then continued to fill the reservoir, turn the wheel, and run the engine. I know there was still old fluid in there, but the fluid looked good to begin with. I was putting some fluid with conditioner in it to limp along the unhappy pump.

Well I got the 09 bed sold, got the dumpbed on the 09 , I had to cut all of my brackets, hinges and mounts off the 05 and re weld them all on the 09. A lot of measuring and the dumpbed went right on and hinge pins lined up. I still have to wire the hydraulic power pack, install some tail lights along with some LED backup lights.
gu7XaBA.jpg

Z3v2izBm.jpg

oaoIUs4m.jpg

YVczTEYm.jpg

Made an attempt on replacing driver side pivot bushing; FAIL!
The pivot barely dropped 2".

Unbolted bottom shock mount.
Loosened radius arm pivot.
Removed TREs.
NOTHING!

Looks like I'll have to remove the passenger side axle shafts.
When I pull said axle shafts; does the axle shaft simply slide out of the pumpkin, or is there a clip I have to remove there?

Anything else preventing the pivot from dropping?

Tomorrow I'm going to try replacing the passenger side axle pivot bushing.

Should be a clip inside the pumpkin for the passenger side, no clip on the driver. I heard, that if you beat on the shaft end with a big enough hammer, it will force the shaft into the spider gear enough to pop the clip off the shaft, allowing for removal without fucking around with the third. The clip then falls to the bottom of the the third, and gets stuck in the sludge. You won’t won’t have a clip retaining the shaft when you reinstall the shaft, but, the D50 in my ‘86 has been fine that way for about 140,000 miles.

I shimmed the head unit bushings on both radius arms today. It all went smoothly but those bastards are heavy. The shims were thick metric washers that I drilled out so they fit snugly into the bolts. Little bit of pushing the radius arm with my legs while I fed the bolts in without dropping the shims, but it worked.
20220926_104732.jpg

20220926_104737.jpg

These are the shims. I had the thin ones here and put them in to see if the clunking went away. Then I picked up the thicker ones which are maybe 1/8" wider than the compressed bushings.
20220926_104800.jpg

Also replaced both tie-rod rod ends. They were 9 years old and I could spin the ball easily.

Should be a clip inside the pumpkin for the passenger side, no clip on the driver. I heard, that if you beat on the shaft end with a big enough hammer, it will force the shaft into the spider gear enough to pop the clip off the shaft, allowing for removal without fucking around with the third. The clip then falls to the bottom of the the third, and gets stuck in the sludge. You won’t won’t have a clip retaining the shaft when you reinstall the shaft, but, the D50 in my ‘86 has been fine that way for about 140,000 miles.
Doesn't the passenger side shaft have a slip yoke? It should pull out so you don't need to remove the inner shaft.
Since I haven't changed the front axle ring and pinion to match the rear; I pulled the front drive shaft.
So basically the front axle is a 2WD/trailer axle.

nOOB question:
Can I drive around without the passenger side axle shafts?🤔😬

Can I drive around without the passenger side axle shafts?
Back in the day, I put about 50k miles on my toyota with no front axle shafts. The hub sealing surface on a Toyota CV is the same size as a rustoleum rattle can lid, if you get my drift.

Similar thing.

Pull it > Find a suitable plug to keep shit out of the hub > rock out

As long as shit is sealed up so dirt doesn't get in.
Back in the day, I put about 50k miles on my toyota with no front axle shafts. The hub sealing surface on a Toyota CV is the same size as a rustoleum rattle can lid, if you get my drift.

Similar thing.

Pull it > Find a suitable plug to keep shit out of the hub > rock out
Ok; I learned the black boot cover protects/hides the slide yoke like the rear drive shaft.

1) Slide the boot out of the way
2) Slide male part of slip yoke into female part of yoke.
3) Pulling axle shaft out of passenger hub.

Is that correct?

nOOB question:
Regarding the axle shaft in the pumpkin; will it turn/spin if I just left it in?
If it doesn't spin; just leave that section of the axle hanging?

Or;
Remove the U-joint/female slip yoke and leave the stub in the pumpkin so I don't have to deal with sealing that side.
Does that sound doable/reasonable?

Manual or auto hubs? If manual, then nothing's turning with the driveshaft removed. Don't remember if auto hubs turn the axle shafts on the Fords. I don't remember having that much trouble with pivot bushings with my TTB D35, but I had a 5" lift.

Manual or auto hubs? If manual, then nothing's turning with the driveshaft removed. Don't remember if auto hubs turn the axle shafts on the Fords. I don't remember having that much trouble with pivot bushings with my TTB D35, but I had a 5" lift.
It's a '94 Bronco XL: Sparse, everything manual.
And it's a Dana 44
So I can leave the U-joint and female section of the slip yoke hanging, without worrying it'll spin?

I have a 6" lift.
1664310121383.jpeg

High steer is set up and everything seems to be happy. Not easy with low lift height!

Attachments

• ADA7D426-B627-48E4-B2FE-3BF0B0A6E0B6.jpeg
    ADA7D426-B627-48E4-B2FE-3BF0B0A6E0B6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • E7ACB85B-3D4F-42DA-B67E-5F5D1C67470B.jpeg
    E7ACB85B-3D4F-42DA-B67E-5F5D1C67470B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
I got the ugly yellow light off the cab today (mag mount) and put my newish LED amber light in it's place. Fortunately for me someone had already run a wire from the dash upfitter switch to the third brake light to run the amber light. Next I installed my LED driving lights, one each side of the front plate and wired them to the #4 upfitter switch. Lastly I ran a new wire in 1/2" PEX tubing from the battery to the hydraulic power pack for the dump bed. Then (I guess this is lastly..lol) I washed it, she cleans up pretty good :)
Tomorrow I may tackle the LED back up lights and get some tail lights on it.

Today I installed the tail light brackets, tail lights along with LED back up lights, put new LED back up lights on the headboard and swapped my plates over onto it. Previous owner texted me to let me know the replacement title came in so he was forwarding it right over to me. As soon as it get's here I'll hit DMV and get it legal like.
ETA:

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_171739877.jpg
    IMG_20220928_171739877.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220928_171732444.jpg
    IMG_20220928_171732444.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220928_171722319.jpg
    IMG_20220928_171722319.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 12
Cheap tech tip from my wife regarding recovering seats.

Buy these bed sheet bungues from wal mart, they work pretty damned good. Need to use a heavier fabric on the seat, the back can be light weight anything .

20221001_180530.jpg

Thus particular thrift store felt was thin enough, had to double it up for the grippers to grab

20221001_181403.jpg

Like 10$ worth of thrift store fabric and straps, basically same as I'm running in my f250, and far superior to the cheap Chinese covers.

Attachments

• 20221001_181341.jpg
    20221001_181341.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Top Back Refresh