What's new

Useless things about your day!

2big bronco is this a good deal? Not for me but I got someone asking. Seems a little steep for a 2wd but I don't really follow the market on tractors so maybe the stupid low hours for age makes up for that.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 10.50.12 AM.png

Doesnt stand out as a good deal to me...
Id at least shoot for a deere/kubota for that price.

Did a quick search of your area and didnt see much else exciting either.... so maybe its not terrible

Last edited:
Fucking Pine sawflies are back trying to kill my trees again.
I have been dousing them with a dawn dishsoap and water mixture for the past years. It works but I have to do it daily.
I'm done.
Fuck them. I'm going nuclear with some insecticide this year.

1716863263380.png
Loaded the foam cannon with a Sevin/dish soap mix, hooked it up to the pressure washer and spent the last half hour spraying down the trees. Hope that works.

Fucking Pine sawflies are back trying to kill my trees again.
I have been dousing them with a dawn dishsoap and water mixture for the past years. It works but I have to do it daily.
I'm done.
Fuck them. I'm going nuclear with some insecticide this year.

1716863263380.png
I've never heard of these until today, but when I googled them apparently somewhat like the "bagworms" or "silkworms" that invade pecan trees around here, the larvae drop on the ground and make coccoons.. If they turn into worms that crawl up the tree to eat next year, (they might not, I don't know) put a ring of axle grease on teh bark of the tree and they can't climb back up through that.

wonder if whitewashing the trunk would do similar
lime is enough to kill a lot of exoskeleton stuff
Is that like diatomaceous earth? A powder?

I sprinkle that around the foundation and blow it into the crawl space through the vents.

2big bronco is this a good deal? Not for me but I got someone asking. Seems a little steep for a 2wd but I don't really follow the market on tractors so maybe the stupid low hours for age makes up for that.

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 10.50.12 AM.png
decent deal. The FEL is what makes it good.

48 HP is a bit big for gentleman farmers... they are looking for ~25HP.

As usual, check hoses and maintenance items...

Market may be soft for something this big, but if you are buying it for yourself it may be worthwhile as a long term investment.

YMMV

Perfect spot. Move the plate 1/2" lower or higher and it cuts the cfm in half. (feels like it anyways)

Now to build actual plates, box it in, get on locking castors, and expanded metal all the intake/ outlet stuff to keep fingers out.

Little bastard puts out double the air of my big dumb 48" shop fan at about 1/4 the noise.

20240527_154702.jpg

Perfect spot. Move the plate 1/2" lower or higher and it cuts the cfm in half. (feels like it anyways)

Now to build actual plates, box it in, get on locking castors, and expanded metal all the intake/ outlet stuff to keep fingers out.

Little bastard puts out double the air of my big dumb 48" shop fan at about 1/4 the noise.

20240527_154702.jpg
the best thing for keeping the skeeters down
was thinking about that video mikel posted on here of the old hedgerow man, smoking his pipe all day while hedging, bet that smoke was mostly to keep the bugs down

usually if you scavenge them off a furnace they already got the outlet restricted with a piece of sheetmetal just about perfect (or at least the four that I've got going now all did)

20240527_154702.jpg
I used one that size, perhaps a little bigger in an old garage we were trying to turn into a paint booth. We set it up to suck not blow. That thing sucked so hard it pulled dust through every little tiny crack in the place, it sucked so hard you couldn't open the doors when it was running. The doors were a big problem too because the vacuum made it really really hard to breathe.

We fooled around with it for a day or two like placing bets on who could stay in the longest without and stuff before we listed and sold it abandoning the paint booth idea.:laughing:

while unloading my new '30s lathe from the truck I managed to drop it not once, not twice, but several times
Fucking skid steer, especially shitty when working on a hill of manure well past the tipping weight

it never landed on its face but the cracked base casting is now completely broken and the already patched back together cast belt guard will need to be patched together again
really disappointed because I was looking at the cracked base casting thinking I should grind and weld it while it's sitting on the truck
but I didn't have any nickel rod with, nor my gooder brazing flux

Moral of the story, when someone tells you that you oughta lag it to a sled made outta rail ties to add stability... maybe don't listen to them
too much height, offsets the extra base width handily, and the lag screws just rip right out
Guess carriage bolts woulda done better.

usually if you scavenge them off a furnace they already got the outlet restricted with a piece of sheetmetal just about perfect (or at least the four that I've got going now all did)
Yea, this one came out of previous house old hvac.
We fooled around with it for a day or two like placing bets on who could stay in the longest without and stuff before we listed and sold it abandoning the paint booth idea.:laughing:
Put it on a dimmer.? Turn it on full blast, then dial it back to usable output?

Went on vacation last week with friends to Moab. rented a big VRBO and split it 4 ways. Everything was grand except one couple showed up sick. the immature gf of one guy shows up with "allergies". By midweek i had a cough and my throat felt like broken glass. We got home this past Monday and wife is still figthing it. I am on the downhill side of it now. just draining sinuses and stuff. The group is not happy with this girl at all. I get it, you have never been to Moab and you are excited to go. but fuck me, have a little courtesy for your friends. Especially when we are all in the same house together. :mad3:

Went on vacation last week with friends to Moab. rented a big VRBO and split it 4 ways. Everything was grand except one couple showed up sick. the immature gf of one guy shows up with "allergies". By midweek i had a cough and my throat felt like broken glass. We got home this past Monday and wife is still figthing it. I am on the downhill side of it now. just draining sinuses and stuff. The group is not happy with this girl at all. I get it, you have never been to Moab and you are excited to go. but fuck me, have a little courtesy for your friends. Especially when we are all in the same house together. :mad3:

It's Moab... im taking enough vitamins to make my pee glow in the dark and covering my mouth when I cough. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

:flipoff2:

Put it on a dimmer.? Turn it on full blast, then dial it back to usable output?
nononono that is be bad for moter

if it isn't a multi speed motor that can be retapped to run slower you just restrict the intake or exhaust until it does what you want
halving the output is pretty easy on those when they got the solid center disc on the blower, just block off the non-motor end of the intake

This the same one that did not want to pay?

nononono that is be bad for moter

if it isn't a multi speed motor that can be retapped to run slower you just restrict the intake or exhaust until it does what you want
halving the output is pretty easy on those when they got the solid center disc on the blower, just block off the non-motor end of the intake
Okay, good to know because I was about to put this one on a dimmer. :laughing: (I'm relatively uneducated on the alternating current)

We have special HD 110v fan dimmers at work, saw a bunch in the dumpster from recent renovation and grabbed one. Never thought about the work fans having special copper stuff inside to be able to live on variable voltage.

I’m equally happy and sad today. Only kid is graduating high school (happy).

At end of summer she moves to college (sad).

Yesterday she was crying, realizing that after today, friends she had at school since forever, she may never see again. A sobering thought and a reality of life as people float in and out of our lives.

She is daddies girl. I’m not going to survive without her around. Going to be crying like a baby tonight, I know it.

Last edited:
Okay, good to know because I was about to put this one on a dimmer. :laughing: (I'm relatively uneducated on the alternating current)

We have special HD 110v fan dimmers at work, saw a bunch in the dumpster from recent renovation and grabbed one. Never thought about the work fans having special copper stuff inside to be able to live on variable voltage.
it might be okay with a PWM dimmer, but the normal triac style will kill them
just run it flat out

Top Back Refresh