What's new

Useless things about your day!

Need to add hotrodding riding mowers to my repertoire.

85 y/o grand father blows up riding mower #1 with unwarranted excessive amount of ether. Bring him mower #2 in prime condition (sears 'garden' tractor with 22hp vtwin) beginning of summer. He blows up #2 with excessive amounts of ether. After being told no ether and leave it the fuck alone. Was given a roached JD mower with a good 17.5HP kohler. New carb, all new filters, and shes purring. Toss B&S 16hp and trick fucked a few things to make the kohler work in mower #1.

Thinking of locktite on the filter wing nut. Maybe a lock/latch of some sort on the filter housing. I'd lock the hood down if the fuel tank wasnt there.

20210926_195111.jpg

Need to stop looking at r/c stuff. I'm really fixing to buy something. But I really don't want to spend the ~$700 to do so. :homer:

Need to stop looking at r/c stuff. I'm really fixing to buy something. But I really don't want to spend the ~$700 to do so. :homer:

Same problem..... I keep eyeballing the Traxxas UDR. I don't actually need one but I think it would be fun to mess around with in between races at the track.

Same problem..... I keep eyeballing the Traxxas UDR. I don't actually need one but I think it would be fun to mess around with in between races at the track.
TRX-4 here.

I've got insurance bills coming up in a few weeks and buying and mounting snow tires on the truck. blech

my back hurts just from looking at these photos.

Back is fine (having 3 fused vertebrae you learn not to lift with your back) but my thighs and glutes are KILLING me. Apparently I need to do more squats.

The 8 speed likes to shift a little hard in cold weather, especially going from reverse to 1st.
Good. I wanna see a bunch of 6" long black chirp marks when the wife has backed in under the carport. Kids will love that shit. :laughing:

The '13 sucked soooo much balls, but I'm 99% sure it could have been fixed with a programmer. I daily drove it in tow/haul and it was fine. In normal mode, it's like the computer wanted to keep it under 1300rpms at all times no matter what. So no matter what you did with the gas pedal, it was either bog city/nothing happening or drop 2 gears and scream NASSSCAAAAAAR!!!! There was no normal in-between.

The '17 doesn't do that at all... its just perfect all the time.

Good. I wanna see a bunch of 6" long black chirp marks when the wife has backed in under the carport. Kids will love that shit. :laughing:

The '13 sucked soooo much balls, but I'm 99% sure it could have been fixed with a programmer. I daily drove it in tow/haul and it was fine. In normal mode, it's like the computer wanted to keep it under 1300rpms at all times no matter what. So no matter what you did with the gas pedal, it was either bog city/nothing happening or drop 2 gears and scream NASSSCAAAAAAR!!!! There was no normal in-between.

Our shop pickup does the same thing. From the time you put it in drive until you get to your destination and put it in park that fucking transmission is shifting up or down. If it holds a gear longer than 2 minutes you start thinking something is wrong. :laughing:

I'll try tow/haul mode next time I drive it to see of its any better.

Our shop pickup does the same thing. From the time you put it in drive until you get to your destination and put it in park that fucking transmission is shifting up or down. If it holds a gear longer than 2 minutes you start thinking something is wrong. :laughing:

I'll try tow/haul mode next time I drive it to see of its any better.
I don't even care about constant shifting if it's staying in the power band for a given throttle input. This mother fucker would constantly shift in an effort to keep you at 1100rpms no matter what. And when it finally gave in and admitted defeat, it would drop to 2nd at freeway speed and fuckin' float the valves. :laughing:

Tow/haul made it 85% better. I'm pretty sure the whole thing could be fixed with a program.

Watch out for oil consumption with the 5.3 also. Mine likes to drink a couple of quarts between changes.

I’ve read positive things about the pulsar lt. Haven’t felt the urge to spend $500 on it though.

Trying to determine what size square tube to use for the post for my side gate I need to build. Gate will be Single swing, 6’ height, about 12’ wide.
Options at the moment are new 20’ pieces. Figure I would end up using 10’ but have no use for the rest.
3x3x.25 for $191
4x4x.25 for $265
Or
10’ of 4”x4x.250 powder coated from fence supplier for $327
10’ of powdercoated 6x6x.250 for $422
Or
Picked up a couple ~5’ pieces of 6x6x.125 that I can weld together.
I’ve been searching Craigslist but having no luck. Called old jobs and no luck either. Will be calling metal suppliers that sell drops this week but would most likely have to drive out there to look

Trying to determine what size square tube to use for the post for my side gate I need to build. Gate will be Single swing, 6’ height, about 12’ wide.
Options at the moment are new 20’ pieces. Figure I would end up using 10’ but have no use for the rest.
3x3x.25 for $191
4x4x.25 for $265
stick of 4x4x1/4 angle lopped in half and stitched together every foot or so?
bit of a root gap helps with drainage so it don't burst when it freezes

These modern 8 and 10 speed slush boxes are amazing. I don't know if they'll have an afterlife in the drag racing world like a Powerglide, but for normal use they're great.

local yard has a 20' stick of 4x5" flat bar
at 50 cents a pound it'd still be expensive but you know it'd be there for a while

Older sister has a 2015, I hate driving it- younger sis has an 2018 much nicer. Mom has an 02, I have an 03 - they are old school and just do as you tell them

and then after I pulled and fixed that I got a tractor stuck for a bit.

today sucked. that's the first flat I've had in a decade and I'll tell you whut, plugging a low profile tire is a lot harder than shoving that fucker into a 35.

BAD news for you- in that decade you got old.... I recently plugged a tire and had the same thought- wtf I used to do this all the time nbd

stick of 4x4x1/4 angle lopped in half and stitched together every foot or so?
bit of a root gap helps with drainage so it don't burst when it freezes
Burst? :lmao: ground doesn’t freeze round these parts
4" .250 square, weld in the bottom (and top) air tight, sink it 3-4ft, sacrete, forget about it.
Leaning towards this
local yard has a 20' stick of 4x5" flat bar
at 50 cents a pound it'd still be expensive but you know it'd be there for a while
I’d rather not completely scab something together. The 6x6 I picked up I can weld together and blend easily.

should be pretty close to the same size as a heavy duty 400 HP 460V except for the pecker head.

Yeah that thing is huge...just spacing the lugs to avoid arcing?

Flipside of that, I engineered a project at my old company that required submersible motors (with brakes) to operate full load (not huge, like 3 HP) at 36V 3-phase. It was on an amusement ride (the Escape from Pompeii at Busch Gardens), the underwater drives with the tires on them that move the boats through the top part before sending them down the big splash chute. Something to do with requiring low voltage to minimize stray current in the water to protect people on the ride. We wound our own motors in-house so that wasn't a problem, but the wire diameter and turns per slot were pretty ridiculous. And we had to retrofit a terminal block & peckerhead from a motor frame two sizes larger just because of the amp draw at 36 volts, stud diameter wasn't large enough. And have the motor, gearbox, and brake submerged in heavily chlorinated water for the whole season.

Lots of things about that job that I don't miss, but it did have some cool moments.

BAD news for you- in that decade you got old.... I recently plugged a tire and had the same thought- wtf I used to do this all the time nbd
the problem was the sidewall is so short the tire would push until the tool hit the wheel inside.
I had to air it back up with the tool jammed in the hole and then pop it through with a dead blow.

but you're right. getting old sucks.

I gave in and bought Diablo 2. Played a bit last night.

damnit

the problem was the sidewall is so short the tire would push until the tool hit the wheel inside.
I had to air it back up with the tool jammed in the hole and then pop it through with a dead blow.

but you're right. getting old sucks.
You may not be getting weaker...

Years ago tires started having a new layer mandated by the .gov due to the big Firestone/ Explorer deal. Its a 0 degree layer of cord between the tread stock and belts, and while it does alot of good things for the tire it also makes it a bitch to plug.

These mandates were weird and phased in certain specs, eventually covering everything... but it seemed kinda random. Now everything gets this stuff, but older shit may not have it. Id bet there's still some on the road that dont have it.

Basically, to stick a plug in a ching-chong stock Civic tire today you need to use the same force you woulda used on some 35" BFG/mt 10 years ago.

:the_more_you_know_flying_star.jpg:

You may not be getting weaker...

Years ago tires started having a new layer mandated by the .gov due to the big Firestone/ Explorer deal. Its a 0 degree layer of cord between the tread stock and belts, and while it does alot of good things for the tire it also makes it a bitch to plug.

These mandates were weird and phased in certain specs, eventually covering everything... but it seemed kinda random. Now everything gets this stuff, but older shit may not have it. Id bet there's still some on the road that dont have it.

Basically, to stick a plug in a ching-chong stock Civic tire today you need to use the same force you woulda used on some 35" BFG/mt 10 years ago.

:the_more_you_know_flying_star.jpg:
I've thought about breaking off a reamer and fitting it in a drill.

Top Back Refresh