What's new

Useless things about your day!

Getting ready to check out another wv property. Drove through the night to get eyes on it and be able to make an offer before someone else if needed. Just shy of 100 acres, rolling topo, coal, and a good location for a good price.
You movin bro? Or just a retirement place?

Picked up a '87 Chevy 2wd 3/4 ton pickup off my brother yesterday. Was parked 15 years ago for a bad fuel pump and he was always gonna work on it later kinda deal. He's not a mechanic at all and hates working on cars. Best part is it's got 20k original miles on it. I need to verify for sure but it looks like it's correct. few small rust holes in cab corners and a few spots on the bed sides. nothing bad at all considering it's in MO.

it's Silverado trim, white over blue, 350/TH400 combo with a semi float 14b rear. I need to clean out the bed and hope the leaves and shit haven't rusted out the bed floor. Bad part is it was sitting at his house when he left his wife and filed for divorce so she went to town on the windshield, back window and dash with a hammer. :mad3:

Sitting here at work trying to decide what direction I am going to go with it. Most likely just clean it up. fix the brakes and fuel pump issue (if that's why it stopped running). three out of 4 wheels were sliding when we first pulled it out to load it. it rolls but i think the brakes are dragging.

I am kinda leaning towards putting a 3/4" drop on it and getting it semi reliable. i have all the beauty rings and 3 out of 4 hub caps are on it.

Kinda diggin the Panzfurher's C10's so may follow that route.

I'll add a couple pics when I get to my phone later.
IMG_20210718_171917386_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210718_171959117_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210718_171927520_HDR.jpg
Man I would just get it running with as minimal amount of work as possible and let it tell you what it needs. Too often I see people dive right into modifying stuff and regret it. I bet that thing drives like a sweetheart after a weekend's worth of work

Really cool truck, I've been driving my brother's squarebody while he's borrowing my truck and I forgot how much I enjoy them.

Getting ready to check out another wv property. Drove through the night to get eyes on it and be able to make an offer before someone else if needed. Just shy of 100 acres, rolling topo, coal, and a good location for a good price.
mineral rights?

Man I would just get it running with as minimal amount of work as possible and let it tell you what it needs. Too often I see people dive right into modifying stuff and regret it. I bet that thing drives like a sweetheart after a weekend's worth of work

Really cool truck, I've been driving my brother's squarebody while he's borrowing my truck and I forgot how much I enjoy them.
the part that sucks the worst is his ex taking a claw hammer to the dash and interior. the seat had a cover on it for years and was not faded ot torn at all. until she hit it with the claw side a few times.. :mad3::mad3:

Brother texted me yesterday and said he has the change over valve for the dual tanks. Buddy thinks the fuel pump was fine all along and the change over valve is what messed up. Like he said what are the odds that both fuel pumps in the tanks shit the bed at the same time?

Looks like all the parts are available for the dash from LMC and nothing is too expensive but it $20 here, $40 there is going to add up quick.

Once I get back from vacation I will get it cleaned out, vacuum up the broken glass, pull the carpet so the floor doesn't rot out and start going through things. I know the brakes need checked for sure. 3 out of 4 wheels wouldn't roll at first. it rolls now but it's not easy.

Once I get started on it I'll start a thread.

Wife took the car in this morning. CEL came back on. So the battery wasn't the issue. I'll have to dig more into it tonight. damnit, thought I'd be getting off easy.

the part that sucks the worst is his ex taking a claw hammer to the dash and interior. the seat had a cover on it for years and was not faded ot torn at all. until she hit it with the claw side a few times.. :mad3::mad3:

Brother texted me yesterday and said he has the change over valve for the dual tanks. Buddy thinks the fuel pump was fine all along and the change over valve is what messed up. Like he said what are the odds that both fuel pumps in the tanks shit the bed at the same time?

Looks like all the parts are available for the dash from LMC and nothing is too expensive but it $20 here, $40 there is going to add up quick.

Once I get back from vacation I will get it cleaned out, vacuum up the broken glass, pull the carpet so the floor doesn't rot out and start going through things. I know the brakes need checked for sure. 3 out of 4 wheels wouldn't roll at first. it rolls now but it's not easy.

Once I get started on it I'll start a thread.
IMO long beds need 4wd and 35s:smokin:

Whatever you do, I don't trust old mech fuel pump diagrams, truck sits, it dries out, you spend a weekend getting it running, diaphragm cracks on your test drive, fills crank case with gas and washes out the bearings. Been there done that. Now I put a new pump on, not worth the risk

IMO long beds need 4wd and 35s:smokin:

Whatever you do, I don't trust old mech fuel pump diagrams, truck sits, it dries out, you spend a weekend getting it running, diaphragm cracks on your test drive, fills crank case with gas and washes out the bearings. Been there done that. Now I put a new pump on, not worth the risk
it's an 87 so first year of TBI. but i agree. I am sure the tanks are crusty inside. Buddy is trying to talk me into running a Blazer or Suburban fuel tank mounted between the frame behind the axle. I like that idea but I don't want the fuel fill being some janky looking POS either cut in the bed floor or something..

I have actually looked into a 4wd conversion but it seems the frames are different and not easily converted? the big block woudln't hurt my feelings though. Mo cubes equal mo bettah

It is 2x6, 2x8 and I think a couple might be 2x9 or 2x10, but otherwise correct.
The guy had a sawmill that would make an OSHA inspector drool, one big (3'?) blade, no guarding, probably older than most on this site.

Aaron Z
Was it steam powered? well then it wasn't older than Gary. :laughing:

it's an 87 so first year of TBI. but i agree. I am sure the tanks are crusty inside. Buddy is trying to talk me into running a Blazer or Suburban fuel tank mounted between the frame behind the axle. I like that idea but I don't want the fuel fill being some janky looking POS either cut in the bed floor or something..

I have actually looked into a 4wd conversion but it seems the frames are different and not easily converted? the big block woudln't hurt my feelings though. Mo cubes equal mo bettah
Frames are different but it's made of metal so leaf spring hangers and shackle tubes in the frame are pretty simple to do.

I'd do the blazer tank and graft the blazer filler neck into the side. No need to get ghetto, just do 'er up nicely using factory bits.

Walked down to the local mom and pop gas station and service station. Told them about the ABS and TC lights. Reluctantly asked if they had a scan tool to use on the car. You want the $5,000 unit or the $10,000 unit? Where's the car? Let's see what it says. I took the truck in so tomorrow I'll bring the car over. Hopefully it'll tell me what is throwing the codes.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't bother with anything from LMC. Everything they make is cheap as fuck, doesn't fit worth a shit, and they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Everything I ordered for my K5 from them fell apart within a couple weeks and they wouldn't take anything back or warranty anything without 100% of the original packaging. They also charge out the ass for shipping and take forever to actually ship anything.

The cable I ordered for my tailgate window worked once before it completely fell the fuck apart and they wouldn't refund it because I didn't have the generic plastic wrap it came in. :flipoff: Ended up mailing it back to my dad with the receipt and stuff so he could take it back in person since he lives near them. They were complete assholes about it and basically told him to fuck off.

I had much better luck finding used parts from people on random Chevy forums.

Sucks about the dash, but you can get replacement dash pads on Summit for like $300. They take some trimming and whatnot but they're not as bad as the garbage LMC sells.

Never got around to it, but there's a local custom shop who quoted my like $500 for them to redo the original dash pad and wrap it in leather.

Do yourself a huge favor and don't bother with anything from LMC. Everything they make is cheap as fuck, doesn't fit worth a shit, and they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Everything I ordered for my K5 from them fell apart within a couple weeks and they wouldn't take anything back or warranty anything without 100% of the original packaging. They also charge out the ass for shipping and take forever to actually ship anything.

The cable I ordered for my tailgate window worked once before it completely fell the fuck apart and they wouldn't refund it because I didn't have the generic plastic wrap it came in. :flipoff: Ended up mailing it back to my dad with the receipt and stuff so he could take it back in person since he lives near them. They were complete assholes about it and basically told him to fuck off.

I had much better luck finding used parts from people on random Chevy forums.

Sucks about the dash, but you can get replacement dash pads on Summit for like $300. They take some trimming and whatnot but they're not as bad as the garbage LMC sells.

Never got around to it, but there's a local custom shop who quoted my like $500 for them to redo the original dash pad and wrap it in leather.
thanks for the tip:beer:

mineral rights?

Surprisingly yes, two seams documented in the coal report. Unfortunately access for what i want to do is tough, so it's not going to work out. The prime spot on the property is a cemetery, and everything I've seen about building over graves never turns out good.

Frames are different but it's made of metal so leaf spring hangers and shackle tubes in the frame are pretty simple to do.

I'd do the blazer tank and graft the blazer filler neck into the side. No need to get ghetto, just do 'er up nicely using factory bits.
Bob the rear of the bed 6-8", cut the fenders and pull them 3-4", home made +4" control arms, some marketplace coilovers, half ton 63's out back, little bed cage with spare at the rear, battery and radiator behind the cab with ventilation through the bed floor, and ditch the dual tanks for a blazer tank. Top it off with some really 80's looking race team colors in krylon, and 33's on some old centerlines.

:beer:

Bob the rear of the bed 6-8", cut the fenders and pull them 3-4", home made +4" control arms, some marketplace coilovers, half ton 63's out back, little bed cage with spare at the rear, battery and radiator behind the cab with ventilation through the bed floor, and ditch the dual tanks for a blazer tank. Top it off with some really 80's looking race team colors in krylon, and 33's on some old centerlines.

:beer:
Not a terrible idea. I'd spend the money on proper control arms or at least some high quality home builds but otherwise solid plan.

Surprisingly yes, two seams documented in the coal report. Unfortunately access for what i want to do is tough, so it's not going to work out. The prime spot on the property is a cemetery, and everything I've seen about building over graves never turns out good.
buy it anyways
get some toothless hillfriends to hollow out some of the seam, then build your shack in there
backfill over top with overburden because earth sheltered is the only way to build

Dubbed with the car with the ABS and TC lights. Came home and they were off. Crawled underneath and all wiring looks great. No breaks or anything.

Kind of hoping the light kicks on tomorrow when I drive the car to work. Use the shop's OBDII to find what exactly the code is.

Was just a tiny earthquake here that felt like about 10 people jumped in my livingroom at the same time. Just one good bounce. I actually assumed one of the large pines on my property fell.

Cool starry bra i know

The conversation I just had with my wife. If we get a house cleaner I get to have sex with her every time she comes to clean the house. I hope she pics a young pretty one. I wonder if that costs extra:lmao:

My truck did that weird shut off suddenly thing I mentioned in the other thread again today and nobody on I25 near Foco wanted to let me over to get on the shoulder, so I just coasted to a stop in the hammer lane while it cooled down for ten minutes, buncha inconsiderate pricks.

Top Back Refresh