What's new

Useless things about your day!

Wife: water pressure in bathtub is almost non existstant
Me: I’ll look at it after work

Crawl under the house, hoping to just see a leaking fresh water pipe…..
Wet insulation that had fallen down, puddle underneath that….which came from the plumbing
For the sewer pipe out of the toilet
FUCK!

Decide to say fuck that for now since I need to craw back under and take pictures to Figure out if the contractor that redid our bathroom is to blame (can’t remember if they removed the toilet or what) OR if I want to(fuck no) do it myself or pay a plumber to do it.
Started digging the silicone out around the side panel for the tub, got it almost all out. Looked and found that they held the panel in place with the base board instead of notching it and keeping it in place with silicone.
Yay!….and spending more than I want to this weekend going to and staying in Monterey with the family.
Atleast next week with the new bid starting I will have someone to work with 4 days a week instead of being alone 2, sometimes 3 days. But that means I’m back to working saturdays and all the kids soccer games will be on saturdays

As a ginger, I am well aware stick and MIG welding is a bad idea without a shirt on. Today I learned even an hour or so of TIG welding in a wifebeater is also a bad idea…
An hour?

As in a solid hour of welding?

Fuck, sorry you died dude.

My day went pretty good.

Had a guy come to buy a machine off of me for $400 and he bought another $150 worth of stuff as well.

Last edited:
Headlight went out on the Bike last night, luckily I have an auxiliary LED mini lightbar on it, checked the fuse this morning, yay burned out fuse, don't have to replace the bulb. It's a minifuse, nowhere open at 7 AM so when I found a older bigger plastic fuse I cut the metal prongs and some of the plastic part off with wirecutters and it fits and works.

I think I need to put a 20 Amp in instead of a 15 because I put a HID bulb in and it has a little fan in the back of the bulb. I'm guessing the new bulb has been in less than 10 hours. It popped when I was flicking back and forth between Hi and Lo beam seeing how I liked the light pattern. It was good until it was gone.

Headlight went out on the Bike last night, luckily I have an auxiliary LED mini lightbar on it, checked the fuse this morning, yay burned out fuse, don't have to replace the bulb. It's a minifuse, nowhere open at 7 AM so when I found a older bigger plastic fuse I cut the metal prongs and some of the plastic part off with wirecutters and it fits and works.

I think I need to put a 20 Amp in instead of a 15 because I put a HID bulb in and it has a little fan in the back of the bulb. I'm guessing the new bulb has been in less than 10 hours. It popped when I was flicking back and forth between Hi and Lo beam seeing how I liked the light pattern. It was good until it was gone.
as fuses are sized to protect wires, you might want to investigate that before you just up the fuse amperage.
shit's probably like 18ga.

as fuses are sized to protect wires, you might want to investigate that before you just up the fuse amperage.
shit's probably like 18ga.
After some research a normal headlight supposedly draws about 6 Amps so I guess for now I'll just replace it with another 15 and see what happens and have some spares on hand.

After some research a normal headlight supposedly draws about 6 Amps so I guess for now I'll just replace it with another 15 and see what happens and have some spares on hand.
true.
a 55w light bulbs draws 4 amps at 14V.

Your HID is likely only 35 watts, but that's bulb output not ballast draw. depending on how badly the ballast sucks it could be as much as 10 amps.
put a clamp DC meter on the hot wire and figure out how much current it draws, or find the manufacturer spec, though if it's cheap china the spec rarely means shit.

Wife and I started cutting a bunch of dead limbs out of one of our hedges last night while enjoying a few adult beverages. Now I have a giant pile of dead branches to cut up and get in the green waste container.

:homer:

I've been defeated. I admit it. Throwing in the towel.

I cannot do this tree work on my own. One screw up after another. Took me three and a half hours to take down a single tree. It got hung up in another tree. Got it off the stump and used a come-along to drag it back. Just got hung up even more. Eventually the base of the tree lawn darts itself into the soft ground and doesn't budge. Use the 372xp to buck up about 6' from the base. Tree swings forward. Lawn darts into the ground. Ratchet that back. Gets stuck again. Buck up another 6'. Spikes into the ground ratchet it up. By this time I've stopped sweating. Getting the chills. Go to buck it up for something like the fifth time, saw doesn't want to start. I had the kill switch engaged. Get that going. Pinch the bar. Get the other saw. I sort of fixed it this morning, but it still ain't right. Turned up the idle a hair. Use that saw to free the other saw. Works. Get the chain for the come along. tree lands on it and its stuck in the ground. Use a hand shovel to dig it out.

I probably ratcheted this tree about 40' from the stump. By hand. Still caught in a pine. I have about half of it cut up on the ground.

Continue ratcheting. Breaks free. Slides off into the "Y" of another tree. By now I've vomited twice. Skipped lunch. Obviously not enough water.

Packed up my shit and walked out. Fuck that noise. I'm done. Took a shower and laid down on the floor in the basement for 15m.

I'm either going to have to rent some serious equipment, or just pay a clearing crew to take down the ~40 trees and remove the stumps. I've fucking had it though. This dragging the tree 40' from the stump by hand is about the dumbest thing I've done in a decade. I'd use the tractor, but its going to be a bitch to get in there, and I'm worried that if the tree comes down, its going to yank the tractor badly.

Not sure if you can even rent logging equipment. I know I can get a 30T excavator here for $1500 for a week. BUt, not sure if there's licensing or something involved. Or can any guy just rent one? No idea.

Either way. I'm beat. fireworks tonight. May even order out. Its been years since we've been out to eat.

Twin C32s, fuckin eh
20210705_183614.jpg

Finished this today. Holding 300 degrees upper thermostat and 250 lower with a bag of Kingsford I had laying around.
Will get a bag of b&b and see how it does.
Like b&b folder cause it last longer and burns hotter.
20210705_163304.jpg
20210705_163250.jpg

Last edited:
Lost blinkers on my Pete Sat morning on my way home. Said screw it just came home. Did some looking and none of the relays were bad. Come to find out there's a flasher relay in the dash and its one thats needed for LED's to work right. Had to go to a Napa 30mi away to get the damn thing. Got home and put it in, went to steam clean the cab floor and it started pouring rain.

Just waiting out the rain now so I can toss some stuff in the truck and head up to Austin.

I cannot do this tree work on my own. One screw up after another. Took me three and a half hours to take down a single tree. It got hung up in another tree. Got it off the stump and used a come-along to drag it back. Just got hung up even more. Eventually the base of the tree lawn darts itself into the soft ground and doesn't budge. Use the 372xp to buck up about 6' from the base. Tree swings forward. Lawn darts into the ground. Ratchet that back. Gets stuck again. Buck up another 6'. Spikes into the ground ratchet it up. By this time I've stopped sweating. Getting the chills. Go to buck it up for something like the fifth time, saw doesn't want to start. I had the kill switch engaged. Get that going. Pinch the bar. Get the other saw. I sort of fixed it this morning, but it still ain't right. Turned up the idle a hair. Use that saw to free the other saw. Works. Get the chain for the come along. tree lands on it and its stuck in the ground. Use a hand shovel to dig it out.

I probably ratcheted this tree about 40' from the stump. By hand. Still caught in a pine. I have about half of it cut up on the ground.

Continue ratcheting. Breaks free. Slides off into the "Y" of another tree. By now I've vomited twice. Skipped lunch. Obviously not enough water.

Packed up my shit and walked out. Fuck that noise. I'm done. Took a shower and laid down on the floor in the basement for 15m.

I'm either going to have to rent some serious equipment, or just pay a clearing crew to take down the ~40 trees and remove the stumps. I've fucking had it though. This dragging the tree 40' from the stump by hand is about the dumbest thing I've done in a decade. I'd use the tractor, but its going to be a bitch to get in there, and I'm worried that if the tree comes down, its going to yank the tractor badly.

Not sure if you can even rent logging equipment. I know I can get a 30T excavator here for $1500 for a week. BUt, not sure if there's licensing or something involved. Or can any guy just rent one? No idea.

Either way. I'm beat. fireworks tonight. May even order out. Its been years since we've been out to eat.

With 40 trees to remove along with stumps rent an ex with thumb. Push tree over, pick up, cut off stump and top. Stack logs, burn the slash. Anyone can rent whatever. You'll get the hang of it by the end of the first day.

Lost blinkers on my Pete Sat morning on my way home. Said screw it just came home. Did some looking and none of the relays were bad. Come to find out there's a flasher relay in the dash and its one thats needed for LED's to work right. Had to go to a Napa 30mi away to get the damn thing. Got home and put it in, went to steam clean the cab floor and it started pouring rain.

Just waiting out the rain now so I can toss some stuff in the truck and head up to Austin.

What's 30mi from kerrville, boerne?

Can't make this up. Look who joined #general channel on Slack at work

IMG_20210705_191511_01.jpg

With 40 trees to remove along with stumps rent an ex with thumb. Push tree over, pick up, cut off stump and top. Stack logs, burn the slash. Anyone can rent whatever. You'll get the hang of it by the end of the first day.
I'm going to go this route. I'm not sure about pushing the tree over. I'd have to notch it first I would thing. But if it gets hung up, I can use the ex to drag it out instead of the come-along at least. I've got two sets of 15' of chain, but I am worried about hooking it to my Kubota. I'm afraid it may jolt the tractor or something and cock it sideways. I can't risk damaging the tractor.

I'll see what the rental place has to offer.

edit: list of stuff: https://www.mbtractor.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/MB-Rents-2021.pdf

Between this post and the deer hunting thread.....I'm starting to think you need to change your username to Suburbs.

fixed it for you

hook the chain/cable to your truck then
Nah, I need the tractor for plowing and firewood. Something happens to it I'm pooched. 80' tree falling attached to the tractor, that's a lot of weight and momentum to be riding on. Truck can't really get down into where I am. ... actually the tractor probably either. I haven't stumped it yet and I'm clearing trees beyond them. I'm not sure I'd be able to navigate around the stumps.

Between this post and the deer hunting thread.....I'm starting to think you need to change your username to Suburbs.
So because I didn't get a deer my second year of hunting, and cannot clear a lot by hand? You watch too much TV. :laughing:

I'm going to go this route. I'm not sure about pushing the tree over. I'd have to notch it first I would thing. But if it gets hung up, I can use the ex to drag it out instead of the come-along at least. I've got two sets of 15' of chain, but I am worried about hooking it to my Kubota. I'm afraid it may jolt the tractor or something and cock it sideways. I can't risk damaging the tractor.

I'll see what the rental place has to offer.

edit: list of stuff: https://www.mbtractor.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/MB-Rents-2021.pdf

Unless they are real big trees a 160 size or larger ex will push them right over. If they are that big you ought to have a logging company paying you for them. If they uproot you don't have to go back and dig around the stump to remove. Less ground disturbed.

Unless they are real big trees a 160 size or larger ex will push them right over. If they are that big you ought to have a logging company paying you for them. If they uproot you don't have to go back and dig around the stump to remove. Less ground disturbed.
huh. never thought of the uprooting them aspect. I never thought an ex would be able to simply knock them over either. That'd be great. I was thinking just notch em', not worry about them getting hung up, then dragging them out with the ex. My tractor just isn't large enough for these really big trees. But a full size ex is no problem.

huh. never thought of the uprooting them aspect. I never thought an ex would be able to simply knock them over either. That'd be great. I was thinking just notch em', not worry about them getting hung up, then dragging them out with the ex. My tractor just isn't large enough for these really big trees. But a full size ex is no problem.
If you are going to stump the area and using a big Ex is an option. That is the best option by far. Check the lean of the trees first and look for big dead tops as well.

If you are going to stump the area and using a big Ex is an option. That is the best option by far. Check the lean of the trees first and look for big dead tops as well.
Yawp. I've got to head down to MB Tractor. See what they have. Check out the larger ex's so I can get an idea how big each machine is. But I'm thinking I should just get the largest one.

Top Back Refresh