What's new

Useless things about your day!

I used to think the same way. I have sweated miles of copper all the way up to 3". Over Christmas break I installed a whole home filtration system. Incoming water for my house is 1 1/4" pex, so I bought a refurbished M18 expander from CPO and all my fittings from Supplyhouse. Fuck me, greatest thing since sliced bread. I can see why it is being used in more industrial settings now.

Plus getting hot water to everywhere 9X faster and the ability to shut off anything from the manifold is awesome. Because when your wife is in the shower and being a B and you happen to be in the basement getting a frosty cold one and happen to walk by and shut the hot water off to the bathroom shower for 5 seconds and then be on your merry way it just adds some joy to the day.

Me trying to be a parent-

3yr old- "Daddy... how come I can say 'poopoo' if I need to go poopoo... but I can't say 'poopoo' around kids and stuff?"

me- "Listen, sometimes words....... look there's a subtle nuance to using certain.... I mean there are words that are not bad words, that become bad words depending on GODDAMMIT JUST STOP SAYING SHIT LIKE THAT. OK? YOUR FUCKIN' MOMMA AND I DON'T WANT YOU SAYING BAD WORDS. UNLESS YOU HAVE TOO. WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU'LL UNDERSTAND. FUCKIN' PEPPA PIG DOESN'T GO AROUND SAYING 'POOPOO' DOES SHE? WELL YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER."

3yr old- "Daddy... how come I can say 'poopoo' if I need to go poopoo... but I can't say 'poopoo' around kids and stuff?"

me- "Listen, sometimes words....... look there's a subtle nuance to using certain.... I mean there are words that are not bad words, that become bad words depending on GODDAMMIT JUST STOP SAYING SHIT LIKE THAT. OK? YOUR FUCKIN' MOMMA AND I DON'T WANT YOU SAYING BAD WORDS. UNLESS YOU HAVE TOO. WHEN YOU GET OLDER YOU'LL UNDERSTAND. FUCKIN' PEPPA PIG DOESN'T GO AROUND SAYING 'POOPOO' DOES SHE? WELL YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER."

:lmao: dead

Honey? That you?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I find myself making up new cuss words and terms around our 18 month old. I tone it way back, but can’t help it sometimes.

Holy fuck! :lmao:

Peppa pig is a girl?

My 3 year old son had been begging for a barbie lately. I asked him why and he said " i cant tell you its a secret" after some more proding he said "i like to make them nakey and see the boobies".... he still wont tell mama why he wants one:lmao:

And remember you are not applying the solder to the gap in the pipe connection. That is where it enters. You want to heat the pipe away from that area to draw it into the coupler. If done properly the entire coupling will fill with solder and create a large coverage area. I can't tell you how many leaky pipes I have fixed where it was applied to the crack like a weld. On a properly sweated connection you will not see much silver because it all got sucked into the joint. Whatever you do don't get it too hot either. Once the copper starts to discolor it's getting too hot. Heat slow and uniformly around the joint. At temp it will suck the solder into the joint and you will see it fill. Stop applying solder and move on to the next one.

I'm multi quote impaired :homer: so this is for everyone.

I emory clothed and reamed every connection and only applied flux on the male end. I heated around the whole socket keeping the flame towards the bottom of the socket while holding the solder on the joint when it started flowing I slowly removed the flame until I felt the joint was full then added a seal around the lip/joint. I didn't have any leaks :smokin: (tested with air).

I planned everything out so I only had to make two connections in place, one was up hill. Solder follows flux and heat.
20210409_123213.jpg
20210409_123207.jpg
20210409_123228.jpg

lowest one needs more flux and heat

only saying it because I know someone else is gonna

also wipe down the joints, letting drips llke the the top 2 joints is just asking for leaks.

also wipe down the joints, letting drips llke the the top 2 joints is just asking for leaks.

I've always left shit like that on there, does it wick the solder back out of the joint against capillary action?

I guess I could see it happening from the contraction of the solder upon solidification, like when you're casting bullets and you don't leave enough of a sprue, the bullet ends up hollow

I'm multi quote impaired :homer: so this is for everyone.

I emory clothed and reamed every connection and only applied flux on the male end. I heated around the whole socket keeping the flame towards the bottom of the socket while holding the solder on the joint when it started flowing I slowly removed the flame until I felt the joint was full then added a seal around the lip/joint. I didn't have any leaks :smokin: (tested with air).

I planned everything out so I only had to make two connections in place, one was up hill. Solder follows flux and heat.

Told ya you would do fine.:flipoff2: You worry way to much. now get some sleep you must be tired.:grinpimp:

Not a plumber. But the way I understand it is it gives a pathway for water to travel. I've always sweated the joints and wiped after. Y
[486 said:
;n375027]

I've always left shit like that on there, does it wick the solder back out of the joint against capillary action?

I guess I could see it happening from the contraction of the solder upon solidification, like when you're casting bullets and you don't leave enough of a sprue, the bullet ends up hollow

Not a plumber. But the way I understand it is it gives a pathway for water to travel. I've always sweated the joints and wiped after. Y

I tried to keep the drips to a minimum for cleanliness, but I forgot my fucking gloves :homer:.

[486 said:
;n374145]
so with the dry kilns they can't stock the feedstock? Guess it'd want to clump up if you aren't just tossing it in straight off the ball mill. Going straight from the mill to the kiln would also save having to drop the dust out of the continuous feed blower air going through the ball mill, just pipe it straight in

I was reading that even just keeping the feedstock fed in past the draft rushing out was the biggest problem for the dry process
the vortex dust separators/exhaust cleaners/feed preheaters are really cool engineering

man, who needs drugs when there's so much cool shit to read about?

They stock kiln but generally a small amount to keep the feed consistent. I suppose you could build a large stock bin but I don't know if anyone has. Also you are grinding in a vertical roller mill rather than a ball mill. Those are another fun rabbit hole to go down if you are bored.

Since we are in outage here a bowl and liner change on our Metal cone crusher. Unlike Panzer I am generally running around keeping guys busy instead of getting in the middle of it so almost of my pictures are of component condition. We also mostly crush limestone so this liner change was after 3 years and it probably has a few months left. Unfortunately it also ate some tramp iron as well (the dents). The bronze piece is the socket that the mantle rides on, you measure the wear by the depth of the oil channels. One cool feature of the hp series crusher versus his is the big ring gear has a hydraulic motor drive so instead of grabbing it with a big wrench and spinning it round and round you just push a button.

Maybe tomorrow I will get some mill pictures as the are ripping out all of the wear parts on the front end the mill.

IMG_20210331_141026.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Eh....Fishermans Wharf, the pier, and Ghirardelli Square were always nice to visit. Jack's at the Cannery was cool until it closed. Haven't been back for a few years but that area was always fun for me.

the big sourdough bakery joint was cool too.

a nice place to visit, I can't imagine living there.

Peppa pig is a girl?

My 3 year old son had been begging for a barbie lately. I asked him why and he said " i cant tell you its a secret" after some more proding he said "i like to make them nakey and see the boobies".... he still wont tell mama why he wants one:lmao:

I remember getting a little woody when seeing them tittays

picture of location

I'd try and move it elsewhere, possibly just right alongside the broken bit

[486 said:
;n376065]picture of location

I'd try and move it elsewhere, possibly just right alongside the broken bit

It's approx centered on the edge of some 1" plate.

Eventual hole size is whatever the tap drill for 3/8 is. Pilot drill broke off well below flush. I countersink it so now the pilot drill is broken off just below flush with the bottom the big hole.

IMG_20210410_211514_412.jpg
IMG_20210410_211510_223.jpg

It's approx centered on the edge of some 1" plate.

Eventual hole size is whatever the tap drill for 3/8 is. Pilot drill broke off well below flush. I countersink it so now the pilot drill is broken off just below flush with the bottom the big hole.

Can burn around it with an cutting torch and leave the outside metal for the final bore?

Diamond hole saw will load up quickly unless you have a lot of coolant flow going on. 5/16 is the drill size for 3/8-16. If you had a 5/16 annular cutter that would be the ticket.

Diamond hole saw will load up quickly unless you have a lot of coolant flow going on. 5/16 is the drill size for 3/8-16. If you had a 5/16 annular cutter that would be the ticket.

How quick will it load up? Is it realistic to finish the pilot hole with one?

[486 said:
;n376114]or just move the hole 1/2" in any direction

If I move this hole I get uncomfortably close to the edge of the bracket that is getting bolted onto the thick plate.

Top Back Refresh