What's new

Ultra4 4600 VW Touareg V10 TDI Build

That only came in the Audi and it has a few inches longer wheelbase and a foot longer body. There was a Touareg option for a gas W-12 (basically two VR6s vee'd) that did 0-60 in less than 6 seconds ..at over 6K el bees. It didn't get exported to US and is sooooper rare $$$. I could buy the Phaeton with that motor....

hmm. now that you mention it..
I have a couple Bentleys parted out if you need or want W12 engine or parts.

Circling back to the portal talk. They don't really cut down on travel. Yes they make the axle shorter, but they allow you to use more CV angle in bump. Normally uptravel is limited buy ground clearance. With the portal, the CV limit might be close to the bump limit.
Yeah, all valid. It's money. And the rear would have to be designed different.. but that's obviously doable..

It's money.
But think of all the monies saved buy not having to regear the diffs :lmao:

But yes, the suspension mounts would need a lot of beef added to account for the extra leverage.

You. Need. Portals...
Agree to disagree. :flipoff2:

12705795_10205812978340762_129121217839687618_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1677721607357.jpg

But this is cool.
I'll tag along:flipoff2:
Thank you!

I do however want portals. I just don't think they are necessary. Especially on a non factory budget.

But think of all the monies saved buy not having to regear the diffs :lmao:

But yes, the suspension mounts would need a lot of beef added to account for the extra leverage.
The diffs! Lol wait until you see the size of the originals. No chance they could survive.

Agree to disagree. :flipoff2:

12705795_10205812978340762_129121217839687618_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1677721607357.jpg

Thank you!

I do however want portals. I just don't think they are necessary. Especially on a non factory budget.
Your second picture doesn't count against me considering they have high clearance a- arms and that's the whole point of portals:flipoff2:
I understand though. They're big money and i personally couldn't swing them...

That Toyota has portals, just like this VW needs.

Is there a build thread on the 4runner?

On the gram, I don't know about anywhere else.

There was one on the old board from the guy that originally built it. But that was kind of a shit show, and I have no idea what the new owner had to fix to unfuck everything.

The original build was good in theory, but there were a lot of stupid shortcuts taken in order to get on the lakebed. Also, the PO wasn't real keen on taking constructive feedback from the general population, and it showed when the thing lasted to like RM 6 the first year it raced..

There was one on the old board from the guy that originally built it. But that was kind of a shit show, and I have no idea what the new owner had to fix to unfuck everything.

The original build was good in theory, but there were a lot of stupid shortcuts taken in order to get on the lakebed. Also, the PO wasn't real keen on taking constructive feedback from the general population, and it showed when the thing lasted to like RM 6 the first year it raced..

The new owner ripped out the stock interior, added portals and turned it into a proper race car. I am not sure what other mechanical changes he might have made though since he bought it from Charles (Steel City Racing). It is TWC_Racing or something like that on Instagram.

Thanks, a V8 4runner with portals is cool.

OP, sorry for the derail. Yours is truly outside the box and I hope it works.

Wow, that is a very strange pick of a touareg ( I will withhold comment if it was a smart choice of not until I see at KOH next year) LOL
I think it's awesome, be different, I can't want to see it.

Ballin in a deezul whoareg :flipoff2:

I dig it, those V10s sound rowdy straight piped

Reactions: DMG
Tthat yota has portals.

My point is 1) portals aren't a requirement to win the race and 2) having them doesn't make you magically faster. In addition, the pro/con list I can come up with certainly doesn't justify the price.

Can you afford NOT to put portals on? In this day and age i don't think so.

I dunno, ask Gomez brothers, Paul Wolff, or the any of other successful drivers not running them. I see the portal question similar to solid axle vs. IFS. Each have their benefits, but you have to drive them differently to be successful. With this platform, I'd be at negative bump due to the packaging constraints.

Ballin in a deezul whoareg :flipoff2:

I dig it, those V10s sound rowdy straight piped
Ever heard one with headers, a single 66mm turbo and 3" exhaust? :cool2:

Cheap too! Just taking up space here.
welp. I'm in. I'll need a backup motor and that should bolt in while still fitting the rules.

comparing a 4600 car to a 4400 car is a little off kilter. Have at er, just put a big fn winch on it.
*a little, yes.

How about a 10,500 hydraulic winch powered from a tandem gear pump? Stay tuned..

Top Back Refresh