What's new

the woods sucks at hunting thread

is your deer stand the same one your bait is at?
two stands. the closest one is at the bait site. the second one, further out, is not. but it is by a bunch of trails you can see the animals have used.

In a couple weeks the rut should pick up by you. Start the walking ridges or sit at a pinch point

In a couple weeks the rut should pick up by you. Start the walking ridges or sit at a pinch point
yea I took the first week of November off too. I've got the estrus and stuff too. see what happens I guess.

I would use my feet and cover some ground and get some binoculars

I would use my feet and cover some ground and get some binoculars
Binocular won't be much help. your vision is obscured before you would ever get to any distance. full on trees everywhere.

Binocular won't be much help. your vision is obscured before you would ever get to any distance. full on trees everywhere.
Binos arent just for the distance. They will help you pick out stuff youll miss with your bare eyes. My biggest suggestion is quit telling people that have been doing this for a long time what what doesnt work and listen to what they say and try it.

Spent a couple hours in the "second stand" that's a bit further out tonight. Nothing. These videos above are the "first stand". Second stand isn't going to work this year. I have no clear shots; at least until the leaves start dropping. There's just too much cover and no lanes. There's a bunch of pecker poles. I guess I could wipe them out and almost create a channel for stuff to travel through. didn't really want to start cutting up all the trees though. but there's just no way I'd ever get a shot on anything.

First stand is a bit more open. THere are a few trees I'd need to clear up. The first video the deer are a bit off to the right- not sure I'd be able to get a shot. the second video I would.

Kiddo has a high fever tonight, so who knows that is going to lead to. Otherwise I plan on being out first thing tomorrow.

Oh, those two little cubs show up almost every day.

Since I posted in another thread... 14 years without shooting a deer. Most of that was the 9 day gun season and on public land. It's about the only thing my dad and i have in common, so I'd convince him to go. He'd get a deer and I wouldn't.

I bought my house and 40 when I was 29. First year I passed deer left and right during archery season. Gun season I didn't see a single damn deer to shoot. Finally shot a doe the second year here during gun season.

Every year I try to improve my little chunk of land for the animals that call it home. Work on clearing trails, pruning trees, scouting for their trails. Figure out where they come from and where they go. Eventually it will pay off.

Every year I try to improve my little chunk of land for the animals that call it home. Work on clearing trails, pruning trees, scouting for their trails. Figure out where they come from and where they go. Eventually it will pay off.
This is something that is going to happen for me in the Spring. Its getting more and more grown in. The "second stand" I have further out, you have no shots. Its all branches and leaves. the previous owner had a brother that hunted here (I think that's how it went) and he built the stands and cleared a bunch. I'm going to have to go out there with a saw and clear a bunch of the pecker poles. at least give me something to see. I do that, and I'll have a handful of ~80yd shots. Right now my shots will all be under 30yds. its just too grown in.

I also walk in from the side yard and loop around the long way to where my bear barrel is, and if I clear a path, I'd get a 60yd shot on the barrel.

Its too late for me to be out there with a saw though. Since the season started, I don't want to be ripping everything up now.

I bought another cam last night along with 12' of camo burlap. I'm going to setup a little ground blind. From the second stand and the cam at the bear barrel, the deer do travel on a common path. its about 70yds from the second stand. I can sometimes see them, but its so grown in there's no shot. but even if it was cleared, 70yds with a bow I think would be a trick. I setup a little ground blind with the burlap, I think I could get myself lined up.

alright. said fuggit, I can't get any worse at this so I went out with a rake and some loppers. Cleared a whooooole bunch of sapplings, setup two little ground blinds, and cleared a big area for the stand. I did it in my hunting clothes so I wouldn't bring out the smells, but who knows. I scared everything away for sure.

Got like 15 videos to upload along with a long video I'll have to do on BitChute or something.

I'll have to give it a minute. The other videos say uploading and it just spins.

before:

20221002_102601.jpg

after:
20221002_103126.jpg

bah, I didn't get a pic, but I dragged all those leaved trees up. Its all open now.

And here's the long ass video of what I'm working with.

iunno. the upload bar just sits and scrolls. tried to keep them under a minute. maybe its not liking it.

apparently 50seconds is about the cutoff time. so this skips a few videos. I can't do any others. I thought it was a minute max. but that above is what I did today.

who knows if I just screwed everything up.

game cam will be here in a few days. I'll sling it up and let it sit for a week. see what happens.

alright. said fuggit, I can't get any worse at this so I went out with a rake and some loppers. Cleared a whooooole bunch of sapplings, setup two little ground blinds, and cleared a big area for the stand. I did it in my hunting clothes so I wouldn't bring out the smells, but who knows. I scared everything away for sure.

Got like 15 videos to upload along with a long video I'll have to do on BitChute or something.
You may be surprised. I've walked out after work to check whatever and coming back to the house nudged a deer off that I had to have walked by. They don't mind me on the tractor, the riding mower will chase them off. When you clear land next spring, leave some thick stuff, pile up the brush. If they have places they feel safe they will stick around. There is an area by my house where they will hang out, yard on the south, road on the west, and woods north and east. It's a small dense area, but they can get into the open easily. They didn't move when I parked the truck there, and only stood up and walked off while the dog pissed at the edge of the yard.

Side note, first buck I shot at 16 was because the guys I hunted with didn't want to climb through thick nasty shit. Kind of stuff you will have to crawl under to get anywhere, thorns, briars. He was bedded down in a little opening that was barely big enough for both of us. We saw each other and both had that moment of "holy shit, what do I do?"

Bucks should start getting frisky up by you soon.

Lol I can tell your not a hunter type. I wouldn’t get caught dead poaching without a permit. They can and will confiscate weapons vehicles atvs for a poaching violation. You can see all the dnr prizes by what they auction off ever year.

Imo the game warden is the most powerful law enforcement agent in the country.
Yup. Watched them confiscate everything from some guys breasting out ducks in the parking area. They took the RV, guns, boat even confiscated the dogs. And they dont need a warrant if they suspect you have illegally harvested meat in your house…

Another out of check agency. Washington state actually got ride of fish and game and went to fish and wildlife. Subtle but major change. Fish and game was to manage game for sportsman. Fish and wildlife make sure the public can see wildlife. Heard health and balance makes no difference to them. Where I live used to be excellent deer and elk hunting. The elk heard was getting very cow dominate so the gentleman managing this area said we need a cow season so the heard is put back in balance. They fired him. Now 90% of the elk around me are cows. And thats out of about 200 “town elk”. Considering the deer family drops babies at almost a 1-1 ration of male to female I would say something is a bit off.

This is it right here. Even if people hunt public ground there is nothing stopping you from getting out there in the summer and keep trails to your desired area clean. Maybe even try and redirect a trail to an easier area to get a shot on.

Its hunting and not killing but much like fishing. The more time your actually hunting the better your odds get.

Yup. Watched them confiscate everything from some guys breasting out ducks in the parking area. They took the RV, guns, boat even confiscated the dogs. And they dont need a warrant if they suspect you have illegally harvested meat in your house…
When that happens you get badge numbers and get even. Even if it takes years.

The system will never get you justice so you gotta DIY it.

If you shot them in your own home you could probably wind out on bail if you could make it sound like the officer was pushing the envelope in terms of "how flimsy can my justification be before it just becomes a home invasion".

If you shot them in your own home you could probably wind out on bail if you could make it sound like the officer was pushing the envelope in terms of "how flimsy can my justification be before it just becomes a home invasion".
the confiscation or warrantless search? Warrantless search? Sure
The confiscation? Nope fuck those guys. Every hunter there told them to stop you’re going to get busted. This wasn’t a remote hunting only launch area. This was a heavily used mixed use area, Moses Lake/Potholes area. Nothing like leaving a pile of dead ducks on the side of the parking area for some anti-hunting **** to take pictures of and use against us all. Hell, half the guys in the lot looked like they wanted to shot those fuckers after they told everyone to fuck off.

ETA: I dont give a fuck what you do with your kills. Just dont do it where it will make the rest of us look bad.

Another out of check agency. Washington state actually got ride of fish and game and went to fish and wildlife. Subtle but major change. Fish and game was to manage game for sportsman. Fish and wildlife make sure the public can see wildlife. Heard health and balance makes no difference to them. Where I live used to be excellent deer and elk hunting. The elk heard was getting very cow dominate so the gentleman managing this area said we need a cow season so the heard is put back in balance. They fired him. Now 90% of the elk around me are cows. And thats out of about 200 “town elk”. Considering the deer family drops babies at almost a 1-1 ration of male to female I would say something is a bit off.
That whole dont need a warrant thing isnt exactly true. There was a SCOTUS case not long ago regarding that. No Game agency has any more power to search your house, vehicle, or buildings than any other LE agency.

They still need probable cause that either, 1. you have committed a crime they are authorized to enforce. They cant just come on your property because they feel like it even if you have a hunting license. They need to have articulable PC that you have committed a crime such as poaching using an illegal device or so on and that you would get rid of the evidence before they can get warrant, in order to search without a warrant or your permission.

Or 2. You are engaged in an activity they are authorized to enforce OR they have cause to believe you are immediately coming from such an activity. ie: hunting, fishing or trapping. In other words if they see you fishing (or say coming up from the river carrying fishing poles) they can ask for your license and check any areas that would hold your catch or other areas if they believe you are hiding your catch.

Many Game agencies in many states used to operate under state laws that gave looser Cause requirements or that said if you bought a license you gave up those rights. Neither of which is accurate any more. They can not just come on your property and search just because they feel like it or believe you have illegal meat. They do need PC or a warrant just like the police.

That whole dont need a warrant thing isnt exactly true. There was a SCOTUS case not long ago regarding that. No Game agency has any more power to search your house, vehicle, or buildings than any other LE agency.

They still need probable cause that either, 1. you have committed a crime they are authorized to enforce. They cant just come on your property because they feel like it even if you have a hunting license. They need to have articulable PC that you have committed a crime such as poaching using an illegal device or so on and that you would get rid of the evidence before they can get warrant, in order to search without a warrant or your permission.

Or 2. You are engaged in an activity they are authorized to enforce OR they have cause to believe you are immediately coming from such an activity. ie: hunting, fishing or trapping. In other words if they see you fishing (or say coming up from the river carrying fishing poles) they can ask for your license and check any areas that would hold your catch or other areas if they believe you are hiding your catch.

Many Game agencies in many states used to operate under state laws that gave looser Cause requirements or that said if you bought a license you gave up those rights. Neither of which is accurate any more. They can not just come on your property and search just because they feel like it or believe you have illegal meat. They do need PC or a warrant just like the police.
I used to fish with a federal wildlife officer. This was 6 ish years ago before I moved but he basically said articulation of PC is very easy to make work for them. Most sportsman advertise everything on their rigs and are sloppy about cleaning up after themselves. Paraphrasing here. If fishing is closed and I see rods leaning against their boat in their driveway that tell me they have been fishing. Then its easy to add a few more thing to make the PC.

Only reason I fished with his is he knew I could shot well and was always willing to take an unpopular deer in season. So he would say tyere is a narrow stretch of public land here and a deer that needs to be culled for whatever reason. So I would go get a deer with shitty rack genetics or one with a limp type deal. I enjoyed the free tips

We quit fishing together when he saw a beaver swimming up the river and he shot it. Said that didn’t happen and no you can’t to that. He obviously had questionable morals when it came to law enforcement, but that is the MO I have seen in most of the LEO’s anyways.

I hope the SCOTUS case you’re referring to changed all that. Do you know the case off hand so I can read it?

I used to fish with a federal wildlife officer. This was 6 ish years ago before I moved but he basically said articulation of PC is very easy to make work for them. Most sportsman advertise everything on their rigs and are sloppy about cleaning up after themselves. Paraphrasing here. If fishing is closed and I see rods leaning against their boat in their driveway that tell me they have been fishing. Then its easy to add a few more thing to make the PC.

Only reason I fished with his is he knew I could shot well and was always willing to take an unpopular deer in season. So he would say tyere is a narrow stretch of public land here and a deer that needs to be culled for whatever reason. So I would go get a deer with shitty rack genetics or one with a limp type deal. I enjoyed the free tips

We quit fishing together when he saw a beaver swimming up the river and he shot it. Said that didn’t happen and no you can’t to that. He obviously had questionable morals when it came to law enforcement, but that is the MO I have seen in most of the LEO’s anyways.

I hope the SCOTUS case you’re referring to changed all that. Do you know the case off hand so I can read it?
I dont honestly remember, but it shouldnt be hard to find. The jist of it was the 4th is the 4th regardless of who the agency is, as it should be. Fish and game police dont have any special authority or relief of the 4th granted to them by the Constitution.

Youre not wrong on articulating PC but it still has to hold up in court. The officer also has to be able to show in why they couldnt wait for a warrant and that, as it should be is much harder to do. Legitimate Probable Cause on its own to get a warrant isnt hard to establish, explaining to a judge why you couldnt wait for a warrant for a freezer full of deer meat or out of season walleye is. Especially when in most cases all it requires is a phone call to have a warrant written and emailed or faxed over to the judges office. Hell the particulars could probably be texted and a judge text back its approved.

Jesus fuck youre a dumbass.

The way they make it seem on the game warden shows is along the lines of “Jim Bob said he heard a shot after dark down in the holler behind his house, then a black dodge on thornbirds with chrome KC lights drove out that way.” Now you drive a silk ar truck and showed up the next day with a deer you claim you killed at 4pm.…

Tell us the truth! We know you been spotlighting!

Most of the time it appears the suspects talk and they don’t need a warrant to go inside.

Top Back Refresh