What's new

the woods sucks at hunting thread

The way they make it seem on the game warden shows is along the lines of “Jim Bob said he heard a shot after dark down in the holler behind his house, then a black dodge on thornbirds with chrome KC lights drove out that way.” Now you drive a silk ar truck and showed up the next day with a deer you claim you killed at 4pm.…

Tell us the truth! We know you been spotlighting!

Most of the time it appears the suspects talk and they don’t need a warrant to go inside.
You know whats better than a search warrant? Consent.

.243 goes pop pop

20221126_085540.jpg

Im a neck/head shooter when I can, so that helps.

Shot one with a 6.5 grendel this year. For a slowpoke round, that thing tore shit up. I was very impressed

Took five months off from gaming. A month off social media; besides slight moderating advbikes. I turned off all notifications, so my apologies to those that send me private messages. Was getting too much for me. I'm still tuning down the amount I post. Picked up a side gig and took over a set of apartments, so I'm pretty busy now.

11/16/22

PART_1668617440742.jpg

me deer2 - Copy.png

us deer - Copy.jpg

img_2022-11-16_11-43-27-jpeg.jpg

That night:
ncvbncv.jpg

20221116_181949.jpg

bxcxxbvbx.gif

Tender Loins

IMG_2022-11-17_18-25-50.jpeg

Best meal I've ever had. Bar none.

IMG_2022-11-17_18-43-02.jpeg

What got ground up.

IMG_2022-11-20_13-06-55.jpeg

Seven pointer.

Shot taken at 40 yds with 12ga slug from the ground during a rain storm after snow. Was a shitty morning, I was soaked.

Dropped about 20yds after the shot. Lung shot. Exit wound through the shoulder. Completely annihilated the shoulder, so I lost a bit of meat there.

Not sure what it weighed. The scale was broken at the registration station.

Wife wouldn't do roasts, so they got sliced into hickory jerky. Turned out fantastic. Ate it all in a few days.

Heart was...ok. Too much for an entire meal though. Wasn't bad. Would eat again.

Processing was a trick. Learned a bit there. 22º when I was doing with just latex gloves. Was way too picky on the silverskin, but I went back and ground everything up.

About 48lbs total.

Got the head in the ground for a Euro mount.

Figured this thread deserved an update.

Thanks all.

About damn time! Nice buck

Not enough meat on the shoulders to worry about, you didn't loose much.

You get it from your stand or elsewhere?

Everything we ever butchered was either butterfly steak or stew meat.....A big grinder is on my short list of things I need

About damn time! Nice buck

Not enough meat on the shoulders to worry about, you didn't loose much.

You get it from your stand or elsewhere?

Everything we ever butchered was either butterfly steak or stew meat.....A big grinder is on my short list of things I need
It had snowed that night. I started off in the stand, but all the trees were bent over blocking everything. I had zero visuals on anything. Climbed down and went to my....blind. A camp chair with cut branches stacked up on three sides. half hour later buck walked by. aimed at first, and the scope was full of snow. I had to clean it out while the buck stared me down. took a shot and that was that.

the day before, I was in my stand that is further out, had two deer walk up to me. it was still dark out and it was the first day of antlered only. I couldn't see antlers. so I waited. it stood there for 15m as I waited for the sun to come up so I could see antlers. wandered away before I could see. but, in the direction it walked off, it walked right in front of my deer cam. there were the antlers. so I missed that shot. I was pissed.

came back the next day, and he returned.

Might look into the butler creek flip up scope caps. They are cheap. Tape them on as they will fall off. But they keep the scope lenses clean an dry. Once you pop them open in the rain though, don't close them as they will fog your shit up

Might look into the butler creek flip up scope caps. They are cheap. Tape them on as they will fall off. But they keep the scope lenses clean an dry. Once you pop them open in the rain though, don't close them as they will fog your shit up
I've got a 30-30 with a peep sight that I think I'll use for when its snowing. That slug really ruined that deer's day. Might just use it for bear.

I've got a 30-30 with a peep sight that I think I'll use for when its snowing. That slug really ruined that deer's day. Might just use it for bear.

If your really wanting to save every ounce of meat. Its a behind the shoulder or neck/head shot. Regardless what your shooting.

That said, I lost both shoulders on the one I shot this year

If your really wanting to save every ounce of meat. Its a behind the shoulder or neck/head shot. Regardless what your shooting.

That said, I lost both shoulders on the one I shot this year
The big issue was the bone. It shattered the bone, and there were fragments all over. But yea, neck shot is what I was told too.

If I have a rest it's neck/head everytime. There is zero clean up. But a offhand shot ....I am hell on shoulders lol.

Almost sounds like a harder slug woulda been better. Aka less expansion, less blown up shit

Awesome man, congrats. Glad it worked out. I’m sure you’ve learned a bunch that will help you continue to be successful in the future.

What's the point of making payments on $30k of orange bullshit if you still hang your deer from a stand? :flipoff2:

That slug really ruined that deer's day. Might just use it for bear.
Now you see why I keep saying 12ga slug for errythin'? There is nothing on this continent that a good hot 12ga slug won't fuck up. :laughing:

If your really wanting to save every ounce of meat you brain it.
FTFY

Headless deer don't go any farther than headless chickens.

Last edited:
Headless deer don't go any farther than headless chickens.

Not for nothing but... I know, for a fact, headless chickens can run and bounce for a couple of minutes.
I, personally, have no data points for deer at this time, however. Simply put, I'm better at "hunting" chickens than deer. :laughing:
Carry on.

So for all the shit you're given, by processing your deer, you've done more that 80% of us that hunt.

BRAVO !!
Lol To picture the hillbilly hell I live in for the first 30 some years of my life I didn’t realize there were places that would cut deer up for you. It was SOP to just cut it up ourselves. :homer:

One of my employees said they charge like $120 to cut it up. Screw that, the little amount of meat that comes off a deer that’s way too much.

nice buck woods, sure it was some good eating. welcome back and that's not at all what I pictured you looking like

for some reason I thought you were way older and more biker-y LOL

Lol To picture the hillbilly hell I live in for the first 30 some years of my life I didn’t realize there were places that would cut deer up for you. It was SOP to just cut it up ourselves. :homer:
TIL :laughing:

Never had a head shot grouse do the death flap across the road an down the into the canyon before have you? How a dead bird knows which side of the road the canyon is on, I will never know
Do I look high enough class to have ever hunted grouse? :flipoff2:

I will confirm that turkeys do that though. :laughing:

Last edited:

One of my employees said they charge like $120 to cut it up. Screw that, the little amount of meat that comes off a deer that’s way too much.
That’s fairly cheap. It’s not uncommon to pay $200-300 here.

Top Back Refresh