What's new

the woods sucks at hunting thread

woods

I probably did it wrong.
Member Number
I'll stop cluttering up other threads.

start of another year.

Bear season started on the 1st. Barrel is out. Bakery hasn't given me donuts so its been deer corn mixed with store brand fake maple syrup.

last night:
bxcvbxxxxx.JPG

That's papa bear. He's been showing up for the past week or two. Also have mama and two cubs that show up separately.

Was out there yesterday morning around 5am. nothing showed up.

I got a late start this morning and this was the outcome:

Good friend of mine said they won't be back after being spooked. So who knows. Pissed at myself for that. Then again, I wouldn't shoot a momma in front of the cubs. Maybe papa bear will show up again.

I'll grab a full bag of deer corn and mix the syrup with it. put it in the barrel this time. go out again in the morning.

never spooked a bear though. that was a lesson learned. there is NO WAY I could sneak up on a bear. they were GONE before I could even get to the site.

Deer season starts on the 15th. that'll be another couple months of disappointment. :laughing:

Forth year hunting. Only thing I've ever got were a few turkeys. Interest is fading fast. Finding out this just really isn't going to be my thing for much longer.

What happened to the farmer that was gonna give you some cull tags?
yea, never followed through. I'm pissed about that, too. kid had a whole bunch of tags, said he would text me for an invite about three or four times and never did. I asked this this morning and he used all his tags. "sorry"

It is called hunting and not getting for a reason...

Bears are stubborn bastards. If you offer free food, they will come back. Get some cheap peanut butter and smear it on the trees. Up high and into the bark so they have to work to get at it.

I don't hunt them anymore. I think they taste like shit and I feel like you owe it to the critter to get it mounted or a rug made. I live on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp and they are very prolific. Also live in peanut country with several peanut butter manufacturers. Poaching cocksucker down the road buys 30 gallon barrels of bad peanut butter and smears every tree where he hunts and proceeds to shoot 6 to 7 bears every year. POS can't shoot a rifle so he uses buckshot so God only knows how many he kills and can't find.

It is called hunting and not getting for a reason...
yea, I totally get that. but holy shit, this is another level. by now I was hoping for something.

I strung up a bottle of syrup yesterday about 10' off the ground. poked a hole in the bottle, letting it drip. I'll fill the barrel and have the bears fight with it. before I was just dumping the food on the ground.

I've had bear once but I forget what it tastes like. I remember liking it though.

my property seems like such a waste if I don't hunt on it though. there's stuff out there but I freaking fight this every god damned year.

I used to deer hunt with my Dad, we never saw anything either. Not even sure my Dad would have even harvested one had we the opportunity. I think he just wanted to be "away" from everything. Can't say I didn't enjoy the time with him. The hunt is what you make of it, sometimes... :))

My chick has taken out more deer than you have. She's up to 3 in the last 2 years. This is why she don't drive my cars. Now if I could just get her to pull over and toss them in the bed......

There is still hope.

Moved the barrel to where the food was. Entire bag of bait. Mixed in a bottle of syrup. got the syrup drip going again.

going to the stand tomorrow. 5am. doing a full laundry wash of scent free and a scent free shower.

How close is your stand? Bow hunting or rifle? If rifle move your stand back.

430am. quick shower then headed out.

I freaking hate wandering out in the woods in the pitch black. once I'm in the stand its fine, but getting to it sucks.

How close is your stand? Bow hunting or rifle? If rifle move your stand back.
Mossberg500 firing 12g Sabot. Stand is 200yds from the house. 40yds from the bait.

young buck and a young doe walked by to my right. 60yds out. that was it. one lowly raccoon in the cam last night. rain coming in the next few days.

Positive note, you saw deer from your stand. :flipoff2:

Do you use a flashlight going to your stand?
depends on what the sky is like. if the moon is out, usually I do alright. this morning it was cloudy and 100% black out so I had to use a light.

that's the frustrating thing on my end. I have the land. I have the tools. I have the time. for the first time the bears are somewhat routine.

deer, forget it. I get them on varying cams, at varying times, on varying days.

I'm missing something and I just can't nail it down.

Another two hours of nothing. Nothing. FOur days in a row getting up at 4am for a scent free shower to wait out there. take a few days to rest I think.

:laughing:

Tree stand?
yea, I totally get that. but holy shit, this is another level. by now I was hoping for something.

I strung up a bottle of syrup yesterday about 10' off the ground. poked a hole in the bottle, letting it drip. I'll fill the barrel and have the bears fight with it. before I was just dumping the food on the ground.

I've had bear once but I forget what it tastes like. I remember liking it though.

my property seems like such a waste if I don't hunt on it though. there's stuff out there but I freaking fight this every god damned y:usa:ear.

Tree stand showing itself, backlit ?
Is the camera under the stand, does the trail into the bait change, are you telegraphing your movement, how does yoggie know yer on site?

Last edited:
Tree stand showing itself, backlit ?
Is the camera under the stand, does the trail into the bait change, are you telegraphing your movement, how does yoggie know yer on site?
eh, its not really noticeable for me. I only know its there because I know where it is.

camera in 6' off the ground, between the stand and the bait site. not a straight line though, the cam is a little off to the left from the stand.

from the stand, bear I'm sure comes from the right, I come from the left. mama and cubs now know I'm there. not sure on papa bear though. but he did suddenly stop so perhaps he does know.

We did some errands into the city today, just got back. on the ride home there was a little nook with two trucks parked- obviously hunting. got me back in the mood so I may go back out. not do the stand, but walk a bit further out near the swamp. there's a ollllllld logging road out there that is pretty cut and clear. lots of deadfall, but an obvious way of travel. may just plop my ass on the ridge above it and look down after I finish my lunch today.

Maybe try going out in the afternoon and sitting till dark?

Maybe try going out in the afternoon and sitting till dark?
so, I could use help with the logistics of this. at least with bear.

If I get a bear in the afternoon/evening, fish and game need to inspect it or whatever. so I can field dress it and, what, just hang it until they get here? Not process it? its 70+ outside. I don't want it spoiling. or haul to the grocery store and just fill the carcass with ice maybe?

same with the deer, because I do hunt after work if I can during deer season. but usually its cooler outside by then so its not really a concern.

What all do you need to have inspected? Around here the fish cops just wanna see the head within a week or so

What all do you need to have inspected? Around here the fish cops just wanna see the head within a week or so
make sure its tagged. not sure how far into the processing I can go with before they need to see it.

ah,

Remember, a bear does not have to be whole or intact for the mandatory registration process. Hunters may process the bear before registration and present the required parts to registration personnel (refer to the NH Hunting Digest).

Hunters are reminded that a bear does not have to be intact at the time of registration, and successful hunters may skin and quarter their harvest prior to registration and present the necessary parts to COs. The expeditious care and handling of bear meat is crucial—once a bear is down, the time to properly dress your trophy and the meat is immediately.

what the hell are the necessary parts? :laughing:

Top Back Refresh