What's new

the woods sucks at hunting thread

So. I was wrong.

But, it gets better.

LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT ONE

These are two different bears. Different than the ones I had. They must have been pushed out from somewhere.

And right being bow season, I don't want to use the shotgun. So I'll have the bow. ...I'm not sure if a bow is going to take out that giant one. :laughing:

Was out at 530 this morning. Still hunted for the first 2h. Nothing. Looped around to my second stand, nothing. Was a bit chilled just standing there and I ended having to poop. Grabbing a cup of coffee, a bite to eat, then head back out I guess.

That looks like a decent bear
dude that thing is MASSIVE. first time I've seen it. I kind of don't want to see that one in person. :laughing: I'm not even sure my bow would do the job, haha

Man, I'm scared as shit to take a bow shot at a bear. Them bitches can climb and have a TON of adrenaline to run off of even if they are dead and dont know it yet :laughing::laughing:

Just sayin....

1002082_3.jpg

Ive killed one bear... I dropped it with a Mosin Nagant, right between the eyes. I think that is the only way I will be hunting bear haha
20161010_221901.jpg

welp, went out for another 4h or so. skipped the tree stands. walked the entire time. what takes me 10m to get to took 2h at how slow I was moving along. Followed up the logging road, took a few breaks looking down at the road.

Nothing.

Done for the day. probably won't go out tomorrow either. meh

welp, went out for another 4h or so. skipped the tree stands. walked the entire time. what takes me 10m to get to took 2h at how slow I was moving along. Followed up the logging road, took a few breaks looking down at the road.

Nothing.

I've never had much luck stalking through the woods... Find a tree to sit at the base of and dont move :grinpimp:

Nothing.

So you have a logging road? Why dont you have a stand on the side of the road? Its a natural shooting lane. Walk the road, find the game trail that crosses it, there will be one, and put a stand downwind of the usual wind direction. Figure out where the animals are bedding and dump your bait pile on the other side of the road so they cross to get it.
Youre making this to hard.

I think you will be hard pressed to walk up onto a bear in the New Hampshire woods. I would up my bait game and hunt from 1pm to dark. Also buy a rifle. In NJ hunt I filled a bear with 3 rounds of 12 gauge 3 inch slugs. None past thru.

So you have a logging road? Why dont you have a stand on the side of the road? Its a natural shooting lane. Walk the road, find the game trail that crosses it, there will be one, and put a stand downwind of the usual wind direction. Figure out where the animals are bedding and dump your bait pile on the other side of the road so they cross to get it.
Youre making this to hard.
there is a logging road. pretty old too. its right on the border of my property and the game trail enters right to my property. from there it disperses to where my stands are. still hunting, takes a little over an hour to get to. not caring, its a 15m walk.

I've had game cams setup there as well as a blind. Two(?) years ago I lent my friend's Summit Tree stand along it. setup the estrus along it and didn't get anything. come snow, very few tracks. cam picked up one deer. I didn't see any. I spent half my day today along the road.

that's the thing, the tracks are all random and dispersed. some more than others. but there's no one solid route they take. its all over.

I think you will be hard pressed to walk up onto a bear in the New Hampshire woods. I would up my bait game and hunt from 1pm to dark. Also buy a rifle. In NJ hunt I filled a bear with 3 rounds of 12 gauge 3 inch slugs. None past thru.
I'm using 12G sabot rounds. I do have a 30-30, but I think the 12G will have more nut to it.

past few days bears have been there after dark.

I was using 3inch sabot 12 gauge. Get yourself a 30/06. One should be easy to find used in your area. I have heard of making a bacon grease candle and lighting it up by the bait pile. I would also try this stuff WCS™ Anise Oil

that's the thing, the tracks are all random and dispersed. some more than others. but there's no one solid route they take. its all over.

Keep looking. You just havn't found the spot

Animals are just as lazy as people. And most times will take the easiest path possible. Be it a skid road, a natural bench, or just a trail moving through the brush.

When I'm "still hunting". I cover alot of ground. I pretty much slow it down to where I'm not just stomping around.

I have found alot of good spots while bird hunting. It's a long season, an no real pressure to fill your tag. Just keep your eyes open. During the wet season a good deer route is gonna look like a cow trail

I'm using 12G sabot rounds. I do have a 30-30, but I think the 12G will have more nut to it.

past few days bears have been there after dark.
Lot of big PA bear been dropped with a .30-30. 12g sabot will work well but its slow and drops fast.

I know jack shit about baiting or treestands. But what made you put your bait and treestand, where you put them?

In NJ we are required to use shotguns. I have never been impressed with a 12 gauge compared to a 270 or 30/06.

I know jack shit about baiting or treestands. But what made you put your bait and treestand, where you put them?
Tree stand was built by PO. there were three, but one is destroyed. the other two are solid. My understanding is his brother hunted deer here. They even left a deer mount in the garage- sort of. I assume its from here? no idea.

the bait, well, there was no really other good place to put the barrel. it was a bit cleared and the stand was already there. any where else, I'd be trying to place shots between trees. its a bit closer than I'd like, but it was really the only place that made sense. I had no intention of doing bear at all. I just threw up the barrel and stacked some donuts into it. first night, bears showed up. and that was that.

probably my last year for this. I had people telling me when I first started this that my area is full of deer. I'd get them "easy". hell, my first experience with deer was not 20m out there in a fold up chair and some old wool overalls, had a nice buck in front of me. shot too high and trailed it for 2.5 miles over eight hours. lost it. after that, nothing. so my intro to this was abrupt. I thought it was going to be that easy. now I'm neck deep into it and forcing myself into it. I'm good for an hour or two, but after that I've freaking had it. after a few weeks of this, I'm completely over it.

two guys at work tagged out already.
I've got the idiots on reddit telling me that I'm hunting for all the wrong reasons (I have the land and want to fill the freezer).
I'm trying to follow along here and I can't do it right.
I can't get anyone over here to show me where I should be looking. in person, I'm all on my own.

iunno. save all the gear for my kid I guess. he's got a lifetime hunting and fishing license. maybe he'll sit in a tree better than I can. walk in circles for ten hours straight not making a sound.

I've got twenty acres of this beautiful land, but I guess I'll just leave it be. not use it for anything. maybe use the tractor, work on a road back there, and harvest wood from fallen trees.

I just kinda stumble around till i find animals.

I prefer bird and predator hunting over everthing else. But shootong a bag of meat has its perks.

Take a season or two off from that stand, and give yourself a break. When you wanna give it another go. Maybe see what a guide in the area would charge to smoke a doe? Might learn some shit while your at it

New Hampshire and Maine are known for big deer not a lot of deer. Do you have any white oaks around?

New Hampshire and Maine are known for big deer not a lot of deer. Do you have any white oaks around?
oaks, a few yea. can't tell if they're white oak or not.

By me the deer hit the white oaks first and then the red. Deer move from a bedding area to a food source. The route changes as the food changes. Any farming in the area?

By me the deer hit the white oaks first and then the red. Deer move from a bedding area to a food source. The route changes as the food changes. Any farming in the area?
farming, not really, no. horse farms sure.

not really one for reading. :homer:

proper way is going to be me prepping the area a bit better. clearing a bunch of pecker poles for longer shots. running the atv a bunch of times to get almost a road leading to an area by the stands. and just put in more time in the stands at the right hours.

I'll go out there now and then, but I didn't go this morning and I'm not feeling like I missed a lot. I'll go out in the evenings a couple times I guess. dog season for bears is in a couple days. by then, every bear in the area will be harvested. there's no way to compete with those guys.

I've run into this every year I started with this. I've dumped more money and time into it, and nothing has ever come of it. Its no different than when I was wheeling. I started with my samurai on retreaded 30s, gears, and a mini spool. it was great. then year after year I dumped more and more time and money into it, and it never ran right. by the end, I just gave it up because it just wasn't going the way I wanted it to.

Have you cleared a spot to build a food plot to hunt over?
I did this last year with...clover I think? Raked out an area, tilled it up best I could, a little fertilizer, and the seed. the clover kind of grew? it was more just weedy grass. and it didn't grow well at all. maybe about 2" tall at most. there's no sun and I had to use the atv trailer with buckets of water out there to water it. its 100% shade.

Keep looking. You just havn't found the spot

Animals are just as lazy as people. And most times will take the easiest path possible. Be it a skid road, a natural bench, or just a trail moving through the brush.
They are borderline starvation for a lot of the year. They literally can't afford the energy to do anything but.

oaks, a few yea. can't tell if they're white oak or not.
Where you are they're almost certainly red or black.

e6ca0c8970b040614ff6e89af4b7d516.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 8.15.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh