What's new

The unofficial "products you've bought that kick ass" thread

pretty sure they've been making them since the 80s
least I've got some my grandpa bought
they got more vent skives in them though

Ego 56V string trimmer. I was skeptical, but it sure works good!

Ego 56V string trimmer. I was skeptical, but it sure works good!

I have been pretty impressed with the Ego stuff. My father bought an Ego leaf blower, which I used last fall to "rake" his yard. Yeah, whole yard, one charge, never touched a rake. Better than any blower I have used short of a gas powered backpack. Would buy.

Read back through this old thread. For a cut off wheel you throw the blade away at 4 inches, get the Metabo we15-150 quick and go 6”. Used to be the 14-150. It will change your life for cutting shit off.

Mystery ranch backpacks get a big thumbs up from me. Little bit spendy but worth it. Picked up this one last week after noticing the strap on my old Kelty was nearly torn through. It’s more comfortable than the old one ever was, even though my shoulder is far worse now than it was back when I was using the kelty regularly. Just the right size for 3 season shit, zippers seem really nice, reasonably water resistant, and the layout works well for me.
Mystery Ranch isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've got 4 of Dana Gleason's original Dana's Designs packs that I bought in the 1990's and when he started Mystery Ranch, I switched over to that stuff. Super nice and really tough gear.

we're due for some updates on this

just got it, but so far for <$30 I'm thoroughly pleased with my new 18650 flashlight. Sofirn SC31 Pro. Sold on a bunch of different sites. Feels as well/better built than my Pelican, and I think it out-shines my low beams on the Honda if I compared em

I just got a Maxi Trac 12v compressor from Napa auto parts. It was $114 they offer AAA discount that brings it down to $102.
It fills a 38" 12.5 x 15 super swamper from 0 psi to 30 psi in 80 seconds

Short version: Melin hats. Greatest hats EVER made. Worth every single fawkin penny.

Melin.jpg

Long version: I have ALWAYS worn a hat. Ever since I was a little kid. And I have been through the gamut of ballcaps: fitted, snapback, free one, cheap ones, expensive ones etc.

Several years ago, my wife and I were in some surf/watersports shop in Lake Tahoe, and she points out these hats on a sales rack, saying something along of the lines of, "This hat would look good on you", so I tried one on.

This is going to sound dumb, but it just FELT good. Like solid. Like I could feel the quality, and I loved the look. The sales person went on about how it's moisture resistant, resists turning funky with sweat and smelling bad, has a secret pocket, etc. etc... I was sold. I tossed it on the counter and said "ring me up"

She rings me up for like $60. :eek::eek: WHAT THE FAWK!!!! So I said "no thanks" and walked away...like most reasonable people would. WAY too expensive. Well...the entire rest of our vacation, I could not stop thinking about that hat. It just felt right.... so as we were leaving Tahoe, I stopped and bought it.

I will never wear another brand of hat. That 1st Melin that I bought, I wore daily for almost 2 years until I bought another one. It's a little dirty, but I could still wear it out today. These hats last FOR-EV-ER. My 4x4 club had really cool new hats made, they look bad ass...but the feel is just all wrong after wearing a Melin.

I liked it so much, I actually spent time to do a review of the brand on social media.... which led me to finding out that Redneckrea (old school PBB guy and Jessi Combs co-driver) grew up with the guy that started the company. Both him and Jessie wore them, and Chris still swears by them today.

Everyone bitches about $60 for a ball cap, but you are paying for quality, and that hat will last you way longer than the free hat tossed to you at some event...

Even got Frank to buy one. If you do not believe me about these hats, and balk at the price: ask his opinion.

Frankmelin.jpg

Got this little cordless air compressor for xmas last year and its the handiest tool for a guy that has a lot of vehicles. Not saying this particular one is the best but its very handy just setting it to the pressure you want and letting it do it's thing without babysitting it. Definately one of my favorite tools now.

Pair of little solar security motion lights. A friend recommended them. I've had them a couple of months and they kick ass. Brighter than I expected and I have neither mounted in an ideal sun facing spot. One is sorta facing north, the other is facing east and gets full shade after 2pm.

Cheap as hell too.

Crappy pic... one on the side of shop roof the other is at the back of the carport

20220504_215432.jpg
I bought a pair. Really impressed for the price. Bright, and never fail to trigger.

If any of you have boats or really anything where it is hard to access the drainplug this unit is a life saver. Used mine a bunch and it kicks ass. Runs about $200 but is zero mess, never leaks, trouble free, and beats the hell out of the hand pumps and other gadgets out there.

Goes for $200 on Amazon in Biden's America. I bought it for quite a bit cheaper a few years ago but still worth the $200 IMO.

I am usually a cheap ass, but am not afraid to spend money on tools or equipment if they are value for money or make my life significantly easier

One of my jobs is race engineering (mostly) GT and Endurance cars. I have used the Michelin tire pressure gauge the last decade or more, so the initial 350 Euro cost has amortized pretty well.

Last year another engineer introduced me to the Race Sense pressure gauge and pyrometer. Total life changer, Does pressures and 3 x temps per tire, records it into a spreadsheet format, and even downloads to your phone / tablet / pc on command. Have not scribed a single tire reading since

Race Sense Gauge

Only complaints would be - way too slow on the bleed down of pressure, I just dismantled the connector and redrilled the bleed hole. The pyrometers are fragile especially when being used by the tire monkeys, but any probe will work.

Otherwise definitely two thumbs up, way more features than any amateur would need and probably most pro teams too. Even allows offset pressures with custom correction so your pressures stay confidential, and for the Nascar boys allows them to set the liner pressures too. Gauge is smart enough to link to local track weather so that is also recorded.

Spendy sure, but I no longer need a separate pyrometer, barometer, weather station, and best of all no longer have to hand log any data at the track

From your post in the other thread.

So just pour grinds in, creamer/sugar, hot water, assemble, and good to go?
I do grounds at night with about 1/4 cup of water to cold brew all night.
Add hot water in the morning.
Then press it.
Then add cream/sugar. (i usually drink black unless its weekend and I'm adding Baileys)
Put on lid.
Shake.
Consume.

Last edited:
I cant speak to durability but for usability the Dewalt 20v Narrow Crown stapler is kick ass. I do a lot of small woodwork projects and being able to just grab it, shoot a half dozen staples and done is much easier than turning the compressor on, getting the hose, oiling the tool, the hose knocks something off the bench, etc.

Also any of the battery powered trim routers. I leave an 1/8" roundover bit in it almost all the time, even use it on aluminum. Everything looks better with nice broken edges

Its heavier for sure but for small jobs its a winner. Want to get the m12 pin nailer and the dewalt finish nailer next

I do grounds at night with about 1/4 cup of water to cold brew all night.
Add hot water in the morning.
Then press it.
Then add cream/sugar. (i usually drink black unless its weekend and I'm adding Baileys)
Put on lid.
Shake.
Consume.
I'm more along the lines of, heat water in Keurig thing at home before work.

Add grinds.

Put insert thing.

Add water.

Half and Half

Sugar.

Drive to work.

Consume.

Would it work that way?

Been drinking instant for about six years now. Things could be improved in that department. :laughing:

I'm more along the lines of, heat water in Keurig thing at home before work.

Add grinds.

Put insert thing.

Add water.

Half and Half

Sugar.

Drive to work.

Consume.

Would it work that way?

Been drinking instant for about six years now. Things could be improved in that department. :laughing:
add all your liquids (at least the water) before pressing.

add all your liquids (at least the water) before pressing.
ok. wasn't sure if the sugar and stuff should be added after. wasn't sure if the press would affect that all.

But either way, that way would work right?

might have to give it a a shakey shake to mix up melted sugar but yeah. will work fine.

Top Back Refresh