What's new

The unofficial "products you've bought that kick ass" thread

Metabo 4.5" grinders.

Holy effing shit I wish i would have bought one 20 years ago.

If you don't know yet... and you're like me and 90% of your work is based off of a cutoff wheel or flap disc... man please save up and get one. You have no idea..

Metabo 4.5" grinders.

If you don't know yet... and you're like me and 90% of your work is based off of a cutoff wheel or flap disc... man please save up and get one. You have no idea..

All of their tools really. Their impacts are awesome. Batteries last forever too.
The name sounds like a racial slur though. :laughing:

Metabo 4.5" grinders.

Which one? I think metabo has a couple grades of 4.5" grinders.

I use old Style Jerry cans, and even cheap plastic shitty ones. Just keep one of these around.
1CAEF1FC-B607-4BB9-BDD7-08C2184B8AB5.png

Which one? I think metabo has a couple grades of 4.5" grinders.
WE 15-125
or whatever one you like with the constant speed feature
you lean into it and it increases the power to the motor to keep it spinning full speed

Chapman Manufacturing Company in Durham Conn.

https://chapmanmfg.com/

They make really nice made in USA screwdriver bit sets for gunsmith duties and other stuff. Bought their kit no. 5589, it is awesome!

[486 said:
;n107687]
WE 15-125
or whatever one you like with the constant speed feature
you lean into it and it increases the power to the motor to keep it spinning full speed

We got one of those it was awesome. Went to buy another one, they asked if we wanted the Chinese made or German made one. We got the German one. It wasn't as nice as the first one which turned out to be the Chinese one :laughing:

Ive got 5 of the large opening "disposal" cans on my watchlist for a local auction today. Sucks I cant find an attached funnel for them anywhere (unless i want to spend $200, which isnt happening). probably wont buy because of that.

img.axd

Seems to take a .mil can donkey dick spout?

I've got the variable speed one, but its about 10yrs old. I'll check on the model. Don't matter, I don't change speeds anyway.

I'd skip the variable shit if you have a choice, especially if you never use it...more shit to fail.

I have a metabo electric variable die grinder and when you reduce the speed, you also dramatically reduce the power, like exponentially reduce the power.

I'd skip the variable shit if you have a choice, especially if you never use it...more shit to fail.

I have a metabo electric variable die grinder and when you reduce the speed, you also dramatically reduce the power, like exponentially reduce the power.

dont knock it until you've tried the good stuff. variable speed on a/c may loose power with lower rpm, but it also helps to prevent overload and overall a much better grinder. also may be of note why cordless grinders, portabands etc have taken off... dc power can be dialed down with out loosing power. ie the 18v fuel Milwaukee portaband is way better than the corded model due to full power at all settings.

the more shit to fail mentality always looses out to good features. the speed feature isn't just about variable speed but also that it will trip and need to be re-triggered before you damage the gear head... not to mention have you tried different abrasives, wire wheels, etc... at different speeds??? if you effectively have you wouldn't knock 'em. when it comes to get er done 9" grinder duty i'm still in the old people camp and the older the grinder the better. but 6" and under grinders have come a long way.

it's like that with any older variable speed shit, but the newer computerized stuff is much better about constant speed and load sensing
my old mag drill is like that, think old variable speed drill where you gotta vary the trigger with varying load
all you do is swap the control panel for the new one and it does load sensing, same 4 wires to the old single-speed brushed motor. What it does is sense the voltage spikes from the bars of the commutator passing the brushes, then it calculates that into motor RPM, then it PWMs the shit to maintain speed.
Other tools that don't have the limitation of needing to use old style motors will just use a standard VFD and a 3-phase motor like modern brushless cordless shit.

not to mention have you tried different abrasives, wire wheels, etc... at different speeds???

abrasives love speed
sand paper, scotch brite, vitrified wheels, those rubber finger discs, doesn't matter, they all run best right before they blow to pieces

I've got the variable speed one, but its about 10yrs old. I'll check on the model. Don't matter, I don't change speeds anyway.

anything metabo 10yrs old is good shit. not so much anymore. they started haveing low end garbage not long ago and i think recently sold out or bought to hatachi. not sure how thats going to work out. hitachi used to make the best 4.5" grinder known to man, every shipyard in the pnw would require them for fitter and welders. but that grinder was dis continued around 8-9ish yrs ago.

curious as to where the matabo/ hatachi line will go. i believe at one point metabos tag line was 'tools for work, not play' or somthing to that effect, thats when they where hands down the best.

Last edited:
[486 said:
;n107827]

abrasives love speed
sand paper, scotch brite, vitrified wheels, those rubber finger discs, doesn't matter, they all run best right before they blow to pieces

not completely true. try finishing SS with a scotch brite pad at full rpm... cant blend seam that way. even cut off and grinding wheels have a sweet spot. abrasives load up and heat up... your not speaking from experience with varying speeds

not completely true. try finishing SS with a scotch brite pad at full rpm... cant blend seam that way. even cut off and grinding wheels have a sweet spot. abrasives load up and heat up... your not speaking from experience with varying speeds

Exactly. I don't have a variable speed grinder, So i have to bump the paddle over and over on my grinder with a flat wheel to get a proper finish on stainless.

I did notice that when metabo bought Hitachi, the pneumatic tools are the same as they used to be, but the price went up 10%

Metabo 4.5" grinders.

+1 for Metabo, the 4.5" variable speed I use at work has 3000 hours on it by now I reckon. Four of them were bought at the time and they all still work as they should.

I've never done much with stainless other than exhaust work, and generally that's even with carbon steel filler.
re; loading up, just use wax or a softer more friable wheel
seems to me when going too slow the wheel rounds off and loses its tooth, higher speed lets it bust out new cutting edges without really needing to lean into it

Milwaukee 12v rivet gun. This is the first and only Milwaukee tool I own, I have probably run 3-400 rivets through it and it's amazing. I have a pneumatic one that will probably never get used again. It's a little pricey but I didn't want the hassle of an air hose and really like the portability. It's like anything you buy, once you have it you find many uses for it.
Another tool that rocks is the 18v Ryobi pex crimp tool, for the stainless clamps. Put it on, pull the trigger for a second and the tool does the rest including a green light at the end to ensure you have a good crimp. While I'm on the Ryobi tools kick pretty much any of the 18v stuff that I have is great.
My next investment is going to be a 3/8 12v ratchet, just not sure what brand yet. The HF one gets good reviews but I may do the Milwaukee for a few dollars more. I'm tired of cords and air hoses.

I'll probably take some shit for this but I'll submit Ridgid cordless tools. My GF got me a drill and impact set quite a while ago. They do what they need to do batteries charge quick and last quite a while. Big bonus for me is the lifetime warranty. I thought I may get a chance to use it when I let the magic smoke out of my drill but nope it's still working fine.

All I own anymore. We fish A LOT so quality polarized glass was a must. Ran the Wiley X for awhile, but the Costa lenses are crisper and their customer service is second to none. My Fiancee broke her frame so we sent them in and for $40 she got to get a new pair of glasses. I have two pairs, both green mirror 580g lenses.

These are the ones I have in vehicles at the house. I have 2 more pair at the farm but am unsure of the styles of those
DC6A93EB-EC73-41E9-9426-5B7842213E2E.jpeg
16D9F4EC-326C-48E5-B06B-C837E9AD9B92.jpeg
24080E3E-C889-468A-9AF2-AF1BEFD8D9EC.jpeg
BB14F1EF-3ED5-4F5D-B740-3F4B8CC273BD.jpeg

These are the ones I have in vehicles at the house. I have 2 more pair at the farm but am unsure of the styles of those

The Fiancee has Cat Cays and I have a pair of Cat Cays and Blokes. I like the Blokes better. They're all 580G green mirror lenses. My Cat Cays are over four years old now and still holding up decent.

Milwaukee m18 impact. It keeps impressing me with what it will break loose. I was pulling apart backhoe cylinders recently and the piston bolts all rattled loose with no drama. I had a huge pipe wrench and long cheater ready to go and.... didn't need it.

Milwaukee 12v rivet gun. This is the first and only Milwaukee tool I own, I have probably run 3-400 rivets through it and it's amazing. I have a pneumatic one that will probably never get used again. It's a little pricey but I didn't want the hassle of an air hose and really like the portability. It's like anything you buy, once you have it you find many uses for it.
Another tool that rocks is the 18v Ryobi pex crimp tool, for the stainless clamps. Put it on, pull the trigger for a second and the tool does the rest including a green light at the end to ensure you have a good crimp. While I'm on the Ryobi tools kick pretty much any of the 18v stuff that I have is great.
My next investment is going to be a 3/8 12v ratchet, just not sure what brand yet. The HF one gets good reviews but I may do the Milwaukee for a few dollars more. I'm tired of cords and air hoses.

I have the M12 Rivet gun, I've run several times as many rivets through it and it does everything well. Most of the ones I do are 3/16" SS though and a bit harder to set. I bought when my big air powered rivet gun took a shit. I fully expected to be disappointed about some aspect and that hasn't happened.

Milwaukee m18 impact. It keeps impressing me with what it will break loose. I was pulling apart backhoe cylinders recently and the piston bolts all rattled loose with no drama. I had a huge pipe wrench and long cheater ready to go and.... didn't need it.

Maybe someone should list "pussy" while we're covering the glaringly obvious? :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh